Archie's Reaction On Official Site Now - Am I Missing Something?

jagfaelivi

I detest criticising a professional and Archie is a professional football manager. BUT.......!!

He is pleased with how we played on Saturday - "played very, very well" and we were unlucky. I agree we were unlucky and we were better than Dundee in a lot of ways. The big but is our total lack of variety in the vital area of the field. I had another topic on here bemoaning all our corners and the fact that their goalie was able to collect virtually everything in the second half from free kicks and corners.

I watched the highlights of the other games in the top division last night - Killie looked dangerous from their free kicks - the quality of the goals in the Dingwall encounter was outstanding!!! Us??? If we get a free kick or a corner we pass it back to the goalie.

When did WE score goals like went in in the Highland match and when did we last look dangerous?

We CANNOT be happy with what's going on (or not going on!!!) in our efforts to get the ball in the net.

Please tell me I am watching something different from Archie.

He's probably simply trying to keep morale high, which is fair enough if he's addressing the problems at training. And problems there are: not a single effort on target at Dens; I believe that has happened more than once this season, and it is not acceptable.

We are tho' the highest scorers in the bottom six. Definitely not the ideal time to bring it up as we're unfortunately rather consistent at this moment and not scoring goals. Nevertheless if you take the season overall it's been our inconsistency that's been a prominent feature. Feelings run from frustrating to infuriating but a bad result has often been followed by a good result.

On the nail when you say not having an effort on target has happened more than once. I don't recall that many howlers in front of goal and tend to blame the attack as an entity for not creating chances. All the stranger then that we've scored the most goals in our half of the league.

We haven't done anything positive with set pieces since McNamara left.

It takes more than just getting guys in the box and firing the ball in. Defences at this level, except ours of course, will just lap that up all day.

AA also commented on the wrong decisions being made in the box when we were on behind their defence.

A bit of composure that Lawless and Stevenson could have provided might have made a difference.

2 Conrad headers over the bar, but decent attempts and getting closer! Goalie nowhere near them.

I don't know how many we had in total, but bar that short spell (which resulted in nothing), I think nearly every one the keeper claimed unchallenged - especially in the second half.

No variation, no quick thinking - even a dreaded short corner could've worked as Dundee knew that it was going to be yet another lofted ball onto the 6 yard line. Look at the Scotland game against Ireland - was destined to be 0-0 until we tried something a bit different.

I'm 5'10 and no goalkeeper, but I reckon I could've plucked a few out of the air!

We did have the 'better' of the game, but came away again with nothing. I'm a big fan of Archie, but something isn't clicking and we need a reaction on Saturday now.

We went through a short spell where we scored 2 (I think) from that complicated free kick routine where O'Donnell runs over the ball and Bannigan crosses. In fact I thought Bannigan's corners and free kicks were pretty decent up until a few games ago, when Stevenson started taking absolutely everything for some unknown reason.

We went through a short spell where we scored 2 (I think) from that complicated free kick routine where O'Donnell runs over the ball and Bannigan crosses. In fact I thought Bannigan's corners and free kicks were pretty decent up until a few games ago, when Stevenson started taking absolutely everything for some unknown reason.

His name came out the half time draw tombola.

Didn't make it to Dundee, but watched the highlights and have nothing but sympathy for Archie. His team selections might have been questionable in recent weeks, but I don't think he can be held accountable for a forward's failure to head a ball down, a slack pass from a player in an attacking position, a defensive midfielder who allows a player to run off him (again) or a defender diving in to a block when he should have stayed on his feet.

I don't subscribe to the idea that the manager should be binned, or that an experienced hand should be brought in to guide him, but perhaps it's time a forward coach was brought in. If we could finish the chances we create then our lapses of concentration when defending wouldn't be as damaging.

• Like 2

Didn't make it to Dundee, but watched the highlights and have nothing but sympathy for Archie. His team selections might have been questionable in recent weeks, but I don't think he can be held accountable for a forward's failure to head a ball down, a slack pass from a player in an attacking position, a defensive midfielder who allows a player to run off him (again) or a defender diving in to a block when he should have stayed on his feet.

I don't subscribe to the idea that the manager should be binned, or that an experienced hand should be brought in to guide him, but perhaps it's time a forward coach was brought in. If we could finish the chances we create then our lapses of concentration when defending wouldn't be as damaging.

Archie could've influenced set pieces. The out-swinger corners in the first half were looking promising and for some reason we changed to in-swingers in the 2nd half. Also not sure why again it's Stevenson taking the ones from the left. Bain isn't the biggest of keepers but having seen him play many times I know he's comfortable coming for balls at corners. I agree tho' the real culprits were on the pitch and what's commonly considered first choice players at that.

Playing ifs and buts I know but having to make an enforced substitution didn't help. I'm sure Archie planned to bring on Lawless or Higgy later in the game. Might even had Doolan and Taylor on together for a spell. Anyway that's not an excuse as you're as likely as not to have to make a substitution for a knock, tho' it's worse when it's a goalie.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Archie could've influenced set pieces. The out-swinger corners in the first half were looking promising and for some reason we changed to in-swingers in the 2nd half. Also not sure why again it's Stevenson taking the ones from the left.

Fully accept that. Perhaps we switched to in-swingers because the out-swingers, while promising, where delivering nada. That would at least suggest that the manager is willing to change tactics during the course of a game. It also indicates that some minor tweaks are needed as opposed to whole-sale changes, both on the pitch and off it.

• Like 1

Fully accept that. Perhaps we switched to in-swingers because the out-swingers, while promising, where delivering nada. That would at least suggest that the manager is willing to change tactics during the course of a game. It also indicates that some minor tweaks are needed as opposed to whole-sale changes, both on the pitch and off it.

Aye but the first half nada was better than the second half nada :) .

Really should've been a bit of variation but I'd accept that comes more from on the pitch decision making.

Finally made myself watch the highlights and can't agree more. Doolan's slack pass led to a string of mistakes ending in a tap in. Very reminiscent of the Hamilton home defeat. Losing to a goal to a counter attack with almost no time to go. Even worse in the Accies game as we were ahead.

If we go into the game with that attitude, we are in trouble!

agree completely i do.

rossco manager after mwell game .....

a positive approach resulted in a vital home win against relegation rivals Motherwell.

"We were in Motherwell's faces, very competitive, and got goals at good times,""We felt we had to change the system and have a real go. We went with two strikers and they certainly caused lots of problems."

"It's been a long time coming and we thoroughly deserved the win," "Motherwell were throwing the kitchen sink at it and we had to defend for our lives at times. "It's an important result but what we have to do is make sure we back it up with other results.

"It's great to draw Motherwell closer to us. If the gap to them had got to nine points it would have been a lot to do for us and we were very mindful of that. "We know exactly what we need to do and we know how tough it's going to be - we need to go and earn it."

Edited by yoda-jag