Mcnamara

Lindau

The League Cup should go back to sections - far less 2 legs.

...and seeded.

McNamara is only echoing what's been roughly proposed for ages. I suspect he's confused the League Cup bit. A sixteen team top division and league cup sections of ideally five teams. That guarantees a minimum of nineteen home games as opposed to the nineteen and a half home games we currently have.

The major benefit as I see it is, with a larger league and a seeded League Cup section, we'd play a minimum of nineteen different teams. That to me must be better than all this repeat business we currently endure. It would also help revitalise the Scottish Cup as you wouldn't be playing opponents in your league a fifth or sixth time.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 4

disagree that the cups should be seeded. I am all for the romance of the cup. big teams knocking each other out and the wee team getting to the final. for me that is what the cup is all about. the big teams can battle for the league and europe.

disagree that the cups should be seeded. I am all for the romance of the cup. big teams knocking each other out and the wee team getting to the final. for me that is what the cup is all about. the big teams can battle for the league and europe.

Maybe you misread me, Dugie. The Scottish Cup would be luck of the draw as always. In fact with less repetition in the leagues there's more reason to return to playing Scottish Cup games to a conclusion assuming there was a desire for such a return. The League Cup has always been sort of seeded as far as I'm aware.

I haven't thought the League Cup sections thru completely but I would anticipate eight mini leagues of five teams. The bottom four in League Two play off to get two teams to join the other thirty eight. Each section contains one team drawn from three divisions and two drawn from another. Unavoidably some sections would be harder than others, tho' with teams moving up and down divisions it would only be theoretically harder.The draw could either be totally random or dependent on final league positions. The two top teams in each section go thru to make a final sixteen.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Maybe you misread me, Dugie. The Scottish Cup would be luck of the draw as always. In fact with less repetition in the leagues there's more reason to return to playing Scottish Cup games to a conclusion assuming there was a desire for such a return. The League Cup has always been sort of seeded as far as I'm aware.

I haven't thought the League Cup sections thru completely but I would anticipate eight mini leagues of five teams. The bottom four in League Two play off to get two teams to join the other thirty eight. Each section contains one team drawn from three divisions and two drawn from another. Unavoidably some sections would be harder than others, tho' with teams moving up and down divisions it would only be theoretically harder.The draw could either be totally random or dependent on final league positions. The two top teams in each section go thru to make a final sixteen.

I like the concept but would also like a degree of (but not slavish) regionalisation in the group stage - early season derbys generating a bit more local interest perhaps?

Perhaps a section containing: Ross, Inverness, Elgin, Peterhead and Montrose; then Aberdeen, Brechin, Forfar Arbroath, and St. Johnstone; perhaps Dundee, D. United, Dunfermline, Cowdenbeath and East Fife; with a Raith, Hibs, Hearts, Berwick and Livvi section.................at the other end of the country a Stranraer, Ayr, Kilmarnock, QoS, and Annan section could also be relatively interesting.

As for us - we would possibly be in a section with Dumbarton, St. Mirren, Morton and either of the bigot twins?

It'll never happen but worth mulling over in an idle moment on the intraweb!

I sometimes wonder if Arbroath, East Fife and Raith Rovers was almost an unintentional "regional" group and we got roped in by mistake - a happy mistake for those of us on holiday in Fife at the time :happy2:

It is rather. I'm no fan of the guy either after the way he behaved on leaving Thistle, but some people need to let it go.

Agree with him on the 16 team idea though.

As I do, but those who point out he's only talking from Dundee United standpoint are quite right. Virtually all managers' opinions about football governance should be taken with a pinch of salt. Apart from having too much of a vested interest their breed, along with the Doncasters and the blazers of our football world, are largely responsible for making Scottish football such an unattractive mess.

Just as I wouldn't want to listen to Terry Butcher talking about attacking football, or for that matter John Lambie's views on youth development, I'm not the least bit interested in what McNamara or nearly any other SPFL manager has to say about league reconstruction. They're not likely to be around long enough to have any pertinent viewpoint, which besides in any way of reasoning would be heavily tainted with self interest.

I will freely admit to having an obsession with the rat. But that's because he so massively disrespected my one true lifelong obsession: the PTFC. For that intentional transgression of his, I will probably live the remainder of my days despising the wee shithouse and wishing him misfortune in everything football related.

I hope that doesn't unduly rub any other Jags fans up the wrong way, but it's my choice and I'm sticking with it.

• 4 weeks later...

2s6u6uh.jpg

Still disappointed about yesterday's result?

Bored waiting for the Sevco play off to come on?

Let me offer you some light relief with the choice pickings from a DUFC forum this weekend about you know who.....

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

GO ASAP

GTF...Now

100% GO

The fact that the management team are incentivised to have players leave the club and our form since February suggests he should go, but I am 90% confident the Mickey Mouse club will still be in charge in August. Will the chairman shell out the money to replace him? I think not.

Until they GO, hopefully within next fortnight, I will not spend another thin dime at Tannadice.

100% go...jmacs bloody useless.

Absolutely no question. Go!

Has to go. Does anyone still believe he should stay? The board must listen to the fans.

I'm sadly in agreement with him going now the support is divided and the club is broken. At yesterday's game there was a group in front of me constantly berating him to an extent that a couple who were right behind them moved.

He might go as we have no players worth selling unless he is waiting on cifcti being sold to celtic before he goes who knows.

Relegated St Mirren have won more games in the last 24 than us

He has gotta go, no argument

Lets do our best to make his job untenable.

At the Derby just sing this for 90 minutes no matter what's happening on the pitch.

JACKIE JACKIE GET TO PHUCK

No fight

No bite

No direction

JM is a dead man walking and sadly I must admit it's time for him to go.

Jackie must go...no debate he is a fraud

Jackie's done feck all in the 2 year's he's been here, and apart from that small "purple patch" at the start of season 13/14, his results record has been absolutely shocking!

His failings (stubborn tactics, baffling team selection and no leadership) have been evident from early doors there is no leadership off and on the pitch, and unless drastic action is taken soon, then darker times await..

Jackie Macnamara Doesn't Give a Fk About Dundee United. Jackie Macnamara just wants his big pay off.

He wants sacked with another **** load of cash and then he will turn round and say his hands were tied because of our Superman Sir Chairman. Stitched up to the fkn Maximum.

Derby is already paid for. I will be there. Hopefully for the Emperor's last game. Sign off with a win and GO!

I have decided not to set foot inside Tannadice again until the manager of my club has a contract with bonuses for winning siverware and league position rather than being rewarded for selling our best players.

I reckon we should have a whip round for him, I'm sure there's plenty like minded Arabs on here that would be happy to contribute if it meant getting rid of the clown.

Why should McNamara and the other two get anything.

FFS they have all failed in their duties. The club has gone backwards under their stewardship.

That lot of ****ing impostors shouldn't leave tannadice with a penny... they should be ****ing hounded out.

We always knew we were a stepping stone for bigger and better things for him(ie Sellick),but some daft BASTA*D started dishing oot contracts that enriched our manager by selling players he never developed.

I will bet you a pound to a penny that Jackie will NEVER make more money in his managerial career than what he was awarded by SIR Stephen at Tannadice.

I'll bet you a pound to a penny that no person in Scottish football has earned as much money as this imposter in the history of Scottish football outside the Weegie mob.

I just want someone who can organise a defence and actually get them defending better than a group of 5 year olds.

* comments from here - http://boards.footym...6&fid=101&sty=2

**Ratnmara pic thanks to Stephen Malkmus from P+B

• Like 1

• Members

No wonder Jackie and his team were so desperate to move to United. After United's treatment of the other Club's in Scotland, particularly Queens Park, it's nice to hear that Thompson's deal with McNamarra has gone down very sourly with the fans! Only a total mug would negotiate a deal like that with an incoming Manager and McNamarra has totally taken Thompson on that score.

• Like 1

The rodent was getting a few pelters from Arabs fans on the phone-in last night. Strangely enough, the contempt for Thompson was unanimous whereas the odd one or two came out with the incomprehensible "dinna get us wrang, but it's no Jackie ah blame, it's Thompson - he's a disgrace, blah blah blah....."

Probably a more deep rooted thing at Tannadice. Good to observe the internecine warfare brewing though. Heh heh.

They really are quite a nasty support up there at Tannadice. Their treatment of Erskine when he first signed was a disgrace. I don't think any party in this shambles are coming out looking good.

Pleasing!

Aye :thumbsup2:

I wonder if during the "is he going, is he staying" last week or so he was with us he tried to squeeze Beattie with adding a sell on bonus to his contract? I can just about understand the logic behind the manager getting a cut of a player he himself signed. Still don't agree with it. I can't come to terms with how Thomson would agree to a sell on bonus for guys that were already at Tannadice before McNamara. That's surely lunacy.