Dave Mackay

robphil

Sad to hear of the passing of Dave MacKay.

I actually had a drink with him way back in August 1987 in a Bar in Edinburgh.

It was my last day at work for Matthew Hall and I took the lads in my squad to a pub at lunchtime for a farewell drink. Dave was standing in the corner reading his newspaper when I spotted him. He would've been 52 then. At first he wouldn't take a drink but when I told him that I was going to Australia in 2 weeks time he changed his mind and we had a couple of nips together and he wished me all the best. I actually have a copy of that famous Photo of him and Bremner.

he hated that famous photo because he reckoned it exaggerated his 'hard man' image; here was a player who was never once sent off in his entire career, and whose party trick was to juggle an orange between both feet before flicking it into the air and catching it on his back. he would also play keepie-uppie with a coin, finishing this routine by lobbing it into the top pocket of his jacket. whenever he took the pitch at white hart lane he would boot the ball high into the sky then cushion it ever so gently in the final seconds of its descent. jimmy greaves recalls standing in the stadium car park watching dave volley the ball off the surrounding wall up to 50 times from a distance of 15 yards without the ball once touching the ground. aye, you could hear his tackles echo round the ground but dave mackay also had the touch of an angel

The classic picture of him gripping the late Billy Bremner by the scruff of the neck is one of the best footballing photos ever and I think the only time I've ever seen Bremner scared by someone! RIP Dave.

Mackay had just recovered from breaking his leg a second time and Bremner deliberately kicked him on the same leg as a bit of "afters". One of the few times he really lost his rag. As Robhill says never sent off and very skilful for such a tough player. Also a good manager, winning the league with Derby.

Edited by Mr Bunny

An actual legend of the game. Never saw him play, but aware of his career and reputation since I was young. Only 22 caps for Scotland despite the degree of success he had. There are guys literally unfit to lace hos boots who have more caps!

At least he will be widely remembered and honoured.

He'd almost certainly have gained far more caps had he not had those two leg breaks. That and of course going head to head with Jim Baxter for the left half position. No substitutes back then either. Baxter himself idolised MacKay.

He'd almost certainly have gained far more caps had he not had those two leg breaks. That and of course going head to head with Jim Baxter for the left half position. No substitutes back then either. Baxter himself idolised MacKay.

The 60's does throw up a lot of these anomalies cap wise but then again a World Cup campaign was four games and we never qualified for any in the 60's. The Euros didn't exist in the same way as the Home Internationals counted towards the '68 Finals and as you say there were very few substitutions. Like Mackay, Alan Gilzean only had 22 caps. Jimmy Johnstone a shocking 23 but with Willie Henderson on 29 and Charlie Cooke playing 16 it does balance out in some ways.

I am currently compiling an article on the Scotland sixties team for the next issue of the Scotland Epistles and they truly were an outstanding team but real real underachievers.

The 60's does throw up a lot of these anomalies cap wise but then again a World Cup campaign was four games and we never qualified for any in the 60's. The Euros didn't exist in the same way as the Home Internationals counted towards the '68 Finals and as you say there were very few substitutions. Like Mackay, Alan Gilzean only had 22 caps. Jimmy Johnstone a shocking 23 but with Willie Henderson on 29 and Charlie Cooke playing 16 it does balance out in some ways.

I am currently compiling an article on the Scotland sixties team for the next issue of the Scotland Epistles and they truly were an outstanding team but real real underachievers.

The campaign to qualify for the '62 World Cup wasn't helped by the amateurish approach of the SFA. A lot has been said about us beating the World Champions in '67 but very little about us just failing to qualify after a play off with Czechoslovakia. No one was going to beat Brazil in '62 but the Czechs reached the final making them the 2nd best in the World.

There's little doubt in my mind we had strength in depth back in the early sixties. Law, MacKay, John White, Baxter, Caldow, Crerand to name a few. With proper management we might just have achieved something.