Just In Vs Ict

Stewarty

Agree with all of the comments above re big Conrad, I thought that was the best game I've seen him and every centre half will make a couple of minor mistakes. I thought if ICT had of started dorran they could have scored a couple, similar to last week when lee croft was a sub and they made some decent opportunities when he came on however fox didn't really have a save to make so maybe the stats don't back up my point.

One thing again I noticed regarding the ref this is the second week in a row when we broke through bannigan and he was clearly and blatantly pulled back maybe 40 yards out by that big haddy draper and yet no booking, yet mclean decided it was fine to book Taylor for what exactly? Using his body which may have been a minor foul. The reffing in the last two games, albeit not affecting the result, has been very poor. Mclean yesterday was overly officious and pulled things back for things that involved very little contact but when there was a blatant booking he ignored it.

Taylor was booked for kicking the ball away, which was stupidity of the highest order. He'd already held on to it to waste time and there was no need to boot it further away. Ref was spot on there.

Agree with all of the comments above re big Conrad, I thought that was the best game I've seen him and every centre half will make a couple of minor mistakes. I thought if ICT had of started dorran they could have scored a couple, similar to last week when lee croft was a sub and they made some decent opportunities when he came on however fox didn't really have a save to make so maybe the stats don't back up my point.

One thing again I noticed regarding the ref this is the second week in a row when we broke through bannigan and he was clearly and blatantly pulled back maybe 40 yards out by that big haddy draper and yet no booking, yet mclean decided it was fine to book Taylor for what exactly? Using his body which may have been a minor foul. The reffing in the last two games, albeit not affecting the result, has been very poor. Mclean yesterday was overly officious and pulled things back for things that involved very little contact but when there was a blatant booking he ignored it.

Not certain that Draper's a haddy or not but every time I see him I wonder how he manages to stay on the park. It's not as if he's sly with it. He seems to pick up a yellow every other week but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not due a second booking for persistent fouling as often as not. The guy MacKinnon at Accies is another who manages to stay on the field against all odds. Those two make the likes of Goodwin and Paton look a couple of jessies.

Would sound too much like sour grapes if we weren't coming off a couple of wins but I feel we've been very hard done by this season thru referees failing to book opposing players early in a game. Prime example being Davidson last week not getting cautioned till about 5 mins to go.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Taylor was booked for kicking the ball away, which was stupidity of the highest order. He'd already held on to it to waste time and there was no need to boot it further away. Ref was spot on there.

It was hardly "stupidity of the highest order". Maybe if he was on a yellow already it would have been, but ultimately it had no real negative impact.

If 3 minutes flashes up on that board, and you waste 10 seconds kicking the ball away a couple of times, the ref will often still blow for full time after 3 minutes. Like it or not, timewasting works in football, and I'm just glad we're getting a bit more streetwise and using little things like that.

• Like 1

Ah didn't notice that as had looked away. Drapers not a haddy either I guess, just a player I love to hate after all his whinging for the phantom corner goal up north. Darrien McKinnon is just a ned, the st mirren games recently summed his style of play up.

One player who does impress me is Marley Watkins, big powerful and direct.

Nice for a change to get the three points when a draw would have been a fair result. Draper is a big fud, he got some abuse of the NS after clattering Abdul and responded with an ironic thumbs up, I do like it when the NS wind up an opposition player and get a response, all part of the entertainment. Respect to Hughes, the guy always gives us credit when we beat ICT.

It was hardly "stupidity of the highest order". Maybe if he was on a yellow already it would have been, but ultimately it had no real negative impact.

If 3 minutes flashes up on that board, and you waste 10 seconds kicking the ball away a couple of times, the ref will often still blow for full time after 3 minutes. Like it or not, timewasting works in football, and I'm just glad we're getting a bit more streetwise and using little things like that.

It is stupidity of the highest order - what if that counts towards a suspension when we need him in the run in?

He had already wasted time by not giving the ball back and was right in front of the ref. Therefore very, very stupid.

It is stupidity of the highest order - what if that counts towards a suspension when we need him in the run in?

He had already wasted time by not giving the ball back and was right in front of the ref. Therefore very, very stupid.

Point taken but he would be only joining a long line of Jags players booked then latterly suspended for stupidity/petulance over the last few seasons. Paul Paton and to a lesser extent Stuart Bannigan being prime examples. As we're only too aware seeing a game out like yesterday is not something we're accomplished in, so I'm kinda leaning to give Taylor a wee bit of latitude.

The other side of the coin was when Doolan opted not to bring down an Accies player late on when we were wining 1-0 and we ended up get beaten. Fine line between being cute and being silly. You expect central midfielders and defenders to know the difference but with forwards I tend to be more forgiving.

The risk of suspension at a later date is one you take when it can make a difference between winning or losing a game (see: the Doolan example above). Especially when you're not a player who is typically on the brink of suspension (eg. Taylor or Doolan). Taylor kicking the ball away to waste 5-10 seconds might not exactly be the difference between winning and losing games, but he did the right thing, imo, because no matter how small the contribution, it's streetwise things like that which help teams win.

The risk of suspension at a later date is one you take when it can make a difference between winning or losing a game (see: the Doolan example above). Especially when you're not a player who is typically on the brink of suspension (eg. Taylor or Doolan). Taylor kicking the ball away to waste 5-10 seconds might not exactly be the difference between winning and losing games, but he did the right thing, imo, because no matter how small the contribution, it's streetwise things like that which help teams win.

I'm sorry I just don't buy that. His professionalism was keeping the ball between his feet away from the Inverness player and testing the ref's patience. He had done that. Kicking the ball away in front of the ref just gets a needless card and ref added the time on, which he might not have done if he just left alone and walked away; he had moved it away from where it should have been taken.

I hate players doing that. Pushing it is fine, kicking it away in the manner he did for no obvious benefit is daft. Doolan is different as there was an obvious benefit to committing the foul.

Edited by 1876Jag

On the basis of anecdotal, made up stats, in any given game the ball is kicked away in a needless manner maybe 10 times or more. I would guess there is on average less than 1 yellow card per game for kicking the ball away. Taylor made a calculated gamble by kicking the ball away in a needless but not excessive manner. His misfortune was that he was picked up on it, but the action is hardly worthy of criticism.

Yeh it was nice to see our defence hoofing the ball forward every time in the last 5 mins. We would of used to just pass it out and concede a late goal as a result. I'm all for time wasting late in games with a 1 goal margin. A - because everyone else does it so why shouldn't we. B - because it doesn't detract from the overall game, such as doing it from half time like St Mirren or County when they go infront.

Lyle kicking the ball away was perfectly valid and the right thing to do - it wasn't even that bad, seen far worse deliberate examples.

Edited by read'n'yell

Well looks like I'm in disagreement.

Any action that automatically and blatantly gets a yellow card when play has stopped is stupid in my book, especially when time has been wasted already 'professionally'.

It's also possible to waste time by getting in front of the ball when it's placed to be taken and then walking away slowly (maybe not too slowly) thus preventing it from being taken quickly and using up a few seconds. I've seen that done hundreds of times with no punishment from the ref - unless the player stands still too long in front of the ball before moving.

Edited by Mr Bunny

It's also possible to waste time by getting in front of the ball when it's placed to be taken and then walking away slowly (maybe not too slowly) thus preventing it from being taken quickly and using up a few seconds. I've seen that done hundreds of times with no punishment from the ref - unless the player stands still too long in front of the ball before moving.

I think that deliberate act of obstructing play should be an automatic yellow card.

• Like 1

It was earlier in the game. We were not leading and trying to kill time.

It shouldn't make a diiference, but you asked what the difference was.

A pet hate of mine is when a team playing against us is in the lead or drawing away at Firhill and continuously wastes time. We get an equaliser/or draw level and our opponents then have to break out their shell and go for goal. The extra time played in the game is virtually all the visitors doing. As I see it extra time should be seen to be only of benefit to the side who didn't waste time.

• Like 1

A pet hate of mine is when a team playing against us is in the lead or drawing away at Firhill and continuously wastes time. We get an equaliser/or draw level and our opponents then have to break out their shell and go for goal. The extra time played in the game is virtually all the visitors doing. As I see it extra time should be seen to be only of benefit to the side who didn't waste time.

I agree with this, but it would be so difficult to monitor

I agree with this, but it would be so difficult to monitor

Unfortunately you're correct, alas it's just a pet hate. In a league situation with goal difference and results changing elsewhere brought into the equation a team could in theory be time wasting to protect a narrow defeat. But one off cup matches that's different entirely, so there's hope still. :)