Summer Football

brodieboy

It would be interesting to hear how we voted on this.

To summarise;

A survey of all 42 senior clubs found 27 would be in favour of examining the possibility, including nine from the 12-team Premiership.

Only seven clubs said such a move would not interest them, with eight not offering a view.

The positives?

Gain media commercial revenues due to the league stretching over a less competitive sport market period. Major commercial and sponsorship opportunities for the same reasons. (Hamilton)

Provides competitive advantage to Scottish teams in Europe having played 20+ games prior to entry into first qualifying round of Europa League and 25+ for Champions League entrants. (Dundee Utd)

Better weather, better pitches and not competing against English football on TV every week would help clubs deliver better crowds. (Kilmarnock)

Bad weather and heavy usage of under-soil heating affects pitches badly, fans have little money in January and this would allow injured players more recuperation time. (St Mirren)

And the negatives?

Do not think there would be a financial benefit to the clubs and, in our case, there is no issue with games being cancelled as we play on a synthetic surface. (Queen of the South)

At part-time level, when do players get the opportunity to take family holidays? (Forfar Athletic)

Would we attract the same level of support in the summer months with our supporters involved in other sports and out of the country on summer holidays? (Peterhead)

Full article here;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33028189

Edited by brodieboy

How do players get a family holiday just now. The school term doesn't finish until the end of June and pre season usually starts in July. So I guess the players must be taking their kids out of school to go on holiday ?

Also note that it looks like Doncaster is against the idea. I thought he was supposed to do what the clubs want ? And why is he interested in internationals, that is the SFA concern.

"Nine of the 12 Premiership teams were among the 27 of the country's 42 senior clubs who said they would be in favour of examining the possibility."

What's the vote ratio necessary to get changes made in the Premiership again? Oh yeah. Thanks Stewart Gilmour!

"Only seven clubs said such a move would not interest them, with eight not offering a view. One unnamed Premiership club was opposed to changing the calendar, while two did not reply."

Not being able to make up our minds sounds like a Thistle-ish position to me.

• Like 1

I would be in favour of this. I was speaking to an Irish colleague last week about them moving their football to the summer and he says attendances have increased since they did it.

There would be disadvantages of course but far more advantages in my opinion.

I don't think I'd buy a season ticket for summer football. I have too many other things I'd rather be doing. Would be a difficult decision, but I could only see myself getting to the odd game between May and August. Even as it is I tend to miss a couple of games at the start of the season.

Also, I have no idea how I'd get through the winter without the football. So I'm dead against it.

I don't doubt that it would be better for the football itself, but that's only a small part of the equation (for me anyway)

• Like 1

"Nine of the 12 Premiership teams were among the 27 of the country's 42 senior clubs who said they would be in favour of examining the possibility."

What's the vote ratio necessary to get changes made in the Premiership again? Oh yeah. Thanks Stewart Gilmour!

"Only seven clubs said such a move would not interest them, with eight not offering a view. One unnamed Premiership club was opposed to changing the calendar, while two did not reply."

Not being able to make up our minds sounds like a Thistle-ish position to me.

We'll probably get round to responding to this November-ish.

Some of the reasons given by the likes of Peterhead and Forfar are actually quite laughable and classic Scottish Football blazer chat. These clubs are struggling year after year but they still don't want positive change.

QOS attitude seems to be "We're fine, f*ck the rest of you"

The game in this country will just wither and die because of these types of luddite attitudes.

• Like 1

• Members

I think you'd need to think carefully about when the season would start and end. If the Season starts, say around March. How do you do your pre-season? All indoor work? Maybe the answer is to go for something entirely different altogether? Split the season in two with a six week break during the winter and a six week break over the Summer.

• Like 1

Summer football could be OK for the plastic pitch clubs and any club that can afford to completely relay a pitch every year. A hell of a disadvantage to the likes of us. Our playing surface can get bad enough as it is with regular reseeding. I'm no horticulturist but even I know you don't reseed your lawn in the winter.

Against summer football and anyway most of know that the biggest turn off is not the weather but those stupid incestuous leagues of ten or twelve.

• Like 2

Can't see me buying a season ticket if this goes ahead. I already miss games against Old Firm on principal. If I miss a couple when I go on holiday it's not worthwhile. Would benefit Scotland with the World Cup in Qatar lol. How would it fit with major tournaments every two years played in the summer.