Squad

stuart_adam

Scully, Frans, Seabourne, Elliott, Booth, Osman, Bannigan, Fraser, Stevenson, Lawless, Doolan, Cerny, potentially Welsh, McDaid, then the development squad. May have missed a couple, but think this is most of the senior pros.

Basically we are missing O'Donnell, Higgy, possibly Taylor and cover defensive player and cover midfield player.

Immediate concern is O'Donnell as he will be hardest to replace (in sense we have no one who can do his job): with a right full back added the present squad would be OK to start the season. However if we are to do well we need to sign/replace Taylor and bring in a quality midfield/winger to replace Higgy.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Tomas Cerny

Paul Gallacher

Ryan Scully

Callum Booth

Frederic Frans

Jack Hendry

Liam Lindsay

Dan Seaborne

Stuart Bannigan

Gary Fraser

Abdul Osman

Sean Welsh (until August)

David Wilson

Christie Elliott

Steven Lawless

Declan McDaid

Ryan Stevenson

Kris Doolan

Edited by ThickAsThieves

Agree - right-back, winger and forward needed as a minimum. Interested by Archie's "less quantity, more quality" comment - of those three players I imagine one would be Taylor, while we won't get a better RB than SOD. So that leaves a better winger than Higgy (apparently we've offered Vigurs a deal) plus any others Archie feels are required.

Definitely need a right-back, a winger and a striker. Would also like, but not as vital, another defender (a versatile one would help) and an attacking midfielder. So 3-5 signings required.

In simple terms replacements for SOD, Higgy and Taylor.

Tho' he'll be missed I think Conrad can effectively be replaced by Lindsay always assuming Seaborne's fitness issues are behind him. I wouldn't be surprised if we only bring in two/three players before the start of the season. Wouldn't be too concerned as long as they're in those key positions. Probably be the usual parade of trialists with a couple of late signings.

Basically we are missing O'Donnell, Higgy, possibly Taylor and cover defensive player and cover midfield player.

Immediate concern is O'Donnell as he will be hardest to replace (in sense we have no one who can do his job): with a right full back added the present squad would be OK to start the season. However if we are to do well we need to sign/replace Taylor and bring in a quality midfield/winger to replace Higgy.

We're also missing Balatoni and Craigen.

• Like 1

If the assumption that our budget is less than last year something has to give. The longer plan would be to develop our youngsters eventually selling on our older players (or at least picking up training/development fees for the younger ones). In the meantime, tho' far from ideal, we may well have to replace experienced pros with developing players like Lindsay and Wilson.

Balatoni played mostly left sided centreback so Liam is like for like. Not so like for like with Wilson but Fraser can move forward and has an energy level not far off Craigen's. Right sided cover for Frans is more of an issue (Hendry probably not ready and would benefit from a loan period) as I don't think either Seaborne or Lindsay moving over would suffice for any protracted period.

Archie I believe has hinted at quality over quantity and when you factor in his budget we simply can't replace all five departing players anything on a like for like basis. As it is if Archie can replace SOD, Higgy and Taylor with equivalent quality it will be a major achievement given he has such little financial latitude. He could most likely secure the signing of Taylor just now but at what expense? Replacing the other two with a steady right back and decent enough wide player may not be too hard either till you start worrying about where the "assists" are going to come thru.

I'm not the least bit worried about the coming season, just realistic.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I terms of numbers you are correct and I'd like to see them replaced. However I was talking in terms of what we must have for the start of the season and the three positions that MUST be covered are full back, wide midfield/winger (Higgy type) and Taylor or replacement. That doesn't rule out other payers but they can wait a bit longer to come in - and don't forget we'll be cutting back a bit in the squad and probably will risk going with several youngsters as squad members.

I did say we also need cover for centre back - that would be the Balatoni replacement, though maybe the manager will trust Lindsay (probably he will wait until pre-season to have a look at him and see whether he needs another defender). Myself, seeing how we don't have any full back cover apart from Elliot, I'd like to see a player come in who can play centre back and full back - and maybe defensive midfield too. We're bound to have injuries and suspensions so a player like that would be useful - especially again as we'll have to go with a tighter squad, at least in terms of experience. We need these versatile players (like Elliot) when we're going to have a smaller squad than most if not all in our division.

As for Craigan I'd imagine Fraser will come more to the fore next season and we may bring Wilson in too. A lot may depend on how Welsh goes. If he breaks down and doesn't get a post-August contract then I'd imagine the wages he would have had could go to bringing in another player.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Given the alleged cut in budget, I am pretty sure Christie Elliot will initially start off as our right back. Not as good as SOD, but has an engine and can get up and down the right hand side all day

Edited by Lindau

I agree with the last 2 posts. I mentioned this in an earlier post, but we have been developing players for the past few years. We simply have not been able to raise money for them. Erskine and Paton both became better players and O'Donnell and Contad have progressed.

In future, we will hopefully receive fees for the next crop of players which leave. But for the new season, we will use Elliott and Lindsay and hopefully see other players progress. I don't just mean players from the development squad, but first team players - Bannigan, Fraser, booth and doolan. Remember, most of our players could be viewed as premiership established, when previously they were championship level.

The future is bright

I terms of numbers you are correct and I'd like to see them replaced. However I was talking in terms of what we must have for the start of the season and the three positions that MUST be covered are full back, wide midfield/winger (Higgy type) and Taylor or replacement. That doesn't rule out other payers but they can wait a bit longer to come in - and don't forget we'll be cutting back a bit in the squad and probably will risk going with several youngsters as squad members.

I did say we also need cover for centre back - that would be the Balatoni replacement, though maybe the manager will trust Lindsay (probably he will wait until pre-season to have a look at him and see whether he needs another defender). Myself, seeing how we don't have any full back cover apart from Elliot, I'd like to see a player come in who can play centre back and full back - and maybe defensive midfield too. We're bound to have injuries and suspensions so a player like that would be useful - especially again as we'll have to go with a tighter squad, at least in terms of experience. We need these versatile players (like Elliot) when we're going to have a smaller squad than most if not all in our division.

As for Craigan I'd imagine Fraser will come more to the fore next season and we may bring Wilson in too. A lot may depend on how Welsh goes. If he breaks down and doesn't get a post-August contract then I'd imagine the wages he would have had could go to bringing in another player.

Yes, I realised that you probably meant the positions that appear most crucial to fill given the various departures. I'm in full agreement.

Given the alleged cut in budget, I am pretty sure Christie Elliot will initially start off as our right back. Not as good as SOD, but has an engine and can get up and down the right hand side all day

Prediction: Christie Elliott to become a revelation next season.

Now, where did I put that bottle of sake......?