Dundee This Saturday

thebiglemon

Doolan has been a great servant to Thistle, he has his value in a squad, hes got a brilliant first touch and chips in with goals every now and then, but if we are going with him as the lead centre forward for the full season we are in big trouble. Not clinical enough, goes on barren runs without scoring, average in every physical department, strength, speed and height. Concerned that Pogba is this year's Seaborne. Made of glass.

McDaid is nowhere near good enough. Living off the Dundee United game still. He needs to drop down a league or two on loan for the rest of the season, looks wildly out of his depth.

The two new lads fitted in well I thought, Dumbuya got forward more in one half than Miller has in multiple games and even Amoo looked threatening when he came on.

Another piss poor crowd too. What a bunch of gloryhunting ******** follow Thistle.

Sadly, it's no surprise: keep doing the same and you'll keep getting the same results. Instead of mixing up attacks, when we move forward, we send the ball to the wings. You can practically hear the sighs of relief from visiting managers as we keep moving the ball out of the danger area to the wings. IIRC today we had one shot, from a late substitute (Sean Welsh). Otherwise, we had oodles of crosses, with nothing to show for them. When is the penny going to drop? :angry:

This.

& although he did well today, the signing of Dumbuya highlights that further.

Miller was a good solid defensive right back but didn't offer as much in wide positions as SOD. So, instead of changing formation to try something new, we show everyone we have a new attacking right back where we'll try get balls into box from.

Booth I've said before awful defensively & can't cross the ball without hitting first man 90% of time it seems but yeah

Fearchar I'd agree with everything you've posted.

Genuinely think Archibald incapable of playing any other formation which ironically is exactly what the DU fans are saying about his predecessor.

It looks very bleak for us just now & I think other teams in the league have sussed how we play. Then when you consider that the replacements signed for players we've lost in past couple of seasons are on the whole inferior it doesn't look good for the immediate future.

Archie,

The lone striker isn't working.

The formation isn't working.

The tactics aren't working.

The substitutions aren't working.

The set pieces aren't working.

Change it or chuck it.

Definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over & over again hoping for a different result.

The negative posters are out in force tonight, looks like it will be a great season for them.

Even Killie are a great team in their eyes now, amazing what 1 win does.

Behave idiots there's a long way to go, everyone had written Ross County off last year God knows how many wins later and most of the bottom 6 where holding their breath.

Said it before as fans we should be encouraging not banging in the nails, but wait most of you eejits don't go to the games anyway.

• Like 1

I'm not going through the same discussion again, but 4231 is versatile and allows you to sporadically change to 442.

But if you are bringing in players to fit 4231, there's no point starting 442 as your main tactic.

Look at Hamilton away with Banzo left mid. He's never a left mid. He has played left back, he's played left on the attacking 3... But put him on the left of a midfield 4 and he's lost.

I'm not going through the same discussion again, but 4231 is versatile and allows you to sporadically change to 442.

But if you are bringing in players to fit 4231, there's no point starting 442 as your main tactic.

Look at Hamilton away with Banzo left mid. He's never a left mid. He has played left back, he's played left on the attacking 3... But put him on the left of a midfield 4 and he's lost.

Okay. We'll stick with the same formation all season. The same tactics, the same subs. I'm sure everything will work out okay.

Trying something different, something positive.

Because a solitary striker isn't working.

Hartley changed it today from 1 to 2 up front midway through 2nd half. They scored and won the game.

We hit woodwork three times today. That doesn't suggest our formation was a particular problem. I'm being slightly disingenuous but I thought their goal came directly from us momentarily at least adopting a "two upfront" approach.

I don't really have the stamina to argue my corner tonight. However I have to own up to believing a system that allows both width and the opportunity for at least two midfielders to run past a lone striker is far superior at our level to a "two upfront" system. Unless of course you feel we've midfielders that can play wide and defensively at ease.

Id agree with that but the 1 has to be able to take a high percentage of his chances and the 3 have to get into the box to support the 1 and pick up the scraps. At the moment we are not doing these things, I would be more inclined to start Muirhead as the lone striker at County rather that two up for now but I really do miss teams playing with two strikers,

Id agree with that but the 1 has to be able to take a high percentage of his chances and the 3 have to get into the box to support the 1 and pick up the scraps. At the moment we are not doing these things, I would be more inclined to start Muirhead as the lone striker at County rather that two up for now but I really do miss teams playing with two strikers,

Spot on. 4231 was great when we won the league because of exactly that. The 3 supporting the striker in the box. Giving the overlapping defender options.

The negative posters are out in force tonight, looks like it will be a great season for them.

Even Killie are a great team in their eyes now, amazing what 1 win does.

Behave idiots there's a long way to go, everyone had written Ross County off last year God knows how many wins later and most of the bottom 6 where holding their breath.

Said it before as fans we should be encouraging not banging in the nails, but wait most of you eejits don't go to the games anyway.

For the life of me I can't think why I'm not making the effort to go to Firhill. Mmmm. Oh aye. Clueless manager, clueless players and same old pish I've been watching for the best part of 25 years. Shaping up to be our worst season ever in the top league. Even worse than the season I went to every game only to see us baws it up at Tannadice in the playoff. Suppose my attitude is symptomatic of having been subjected to a lifetime of (mostly) gutless failure and nearly but not quite performance. This is just another another one of those. Helmet is on, I'm strapped in and I've got ma parachute ready for next May.

Edited by The Legend Blows
  • Like 1