Sticking With A Manager And Bucking The Trend

topcat

Shocking defending for the second, Frans allowing himself to be pushed away by the scorer.

Jagger it is an infringement if an attacker scores by blatantly pushing a defender, however I see where you are coming from. Frans didn't complain and just accepted it, which annoyed me more than anything else. At his age he should be streetwise by now. If he feels someone pushing him from behind, he should have went down like a ton of bricks! Disappointed that none of the highlights (Motherwell or Sportscene) showed the penalty incident shortly after they scored. Looked like a penalty to me and pretty sure it would have been given up the other end!

Jagger it is an infringement if an attacker scores by blatantly pushing a defender, however I see where you are coming from. Frans didn't complain and just accepted it, which annoyed me more than anything else. At his age he should be streetwise by now. If he feels someone pushing him from behind, he should have went down like a ton of bricks! Disappointed that none of the highlights (Motherwell or Sportscene) showed the penalty incident shortly after they scored. Looked like a penalty to me and pretty sure it would have been given up the other end!

Yes, it was a blatant foul by their scorer.

the buck the trend stuff is now officially garbage i have backed archie i think the board are soft on him as he a club legend but football is a result driven business and the results are a joke

i find it annoying that our players are saying in interviews that the win is "nearly" there what a load of twaddle we can dominate a game and have 50 shots on goal but end result is we losing

its time to change management and smash and grab some games

And hey presto, everything is fixed! You should be CEO of a major company if you aren't already.

This annoys me as well. We don't have enough passion, determination or fire in our belly. I genuinely feel that playing for PTFC is a Saturday job for the players and that's where it ends.

We lose and "we're disappointed" sometimes "bitterly", we get bad refereeing decisions and it's "it could have gone either way", we're on a dreadful run and "we're nearly there".

I know the game has changed but I feel the players could do with a Lambie style motivation at times.

This annoys me as well. We don't have enough passion, determination or fire in our belly. I genuinely feel that playing for PTFC is a Saturday job for the players and that's where it ends.

We lose and "we're disappointed" sometimes "bitterly", we get bad refereeing decisions and it's "it could have gone either way", we're on a dreadful run and "we're nearly there".

I know the game has changed but I feel the players could do with a Lambie style motivation at times.

So you can do sensible posts, when you try!

We are not even a quarter of the way through the season and some are acting like we're down and Archie has failed.

In over 30 years watching the Jags I've seen great starts ending in relegation battles after mid season collapse and crap starts ending in mid table safety.

Judge at the end of the season, if we stay up then it's a success, if we go down with full capitulation then it's a failure, if we go down battling playing good football and showing promise then it's not necessary a failure, we have something to build on.

We have 29 games still to play, hawd yer horses. 2 seasons ago people were taking about Europe after 4 or 5 games yet again premature, like a lot are being now.

All teams have peaks and troughs in form and results, let's stick with it for the full season and judge then

• Like 2

We are not even a quarter of the way through the season and some are acting like we're down and Archie has failed.

In over 30 years watching the Jags I've seen great starts ending in relegation battles after mid season collapse and crap starts ending in mid table safety.

Judge at the end of the season, if we stay up then it's a success, if we go down with full capitulation then it's a failure, if we go down battling playing good football and showing promise then it's not necessary a failure, we have something to build on.

We have 29 games still to play, hawd yer horses. 2 seasons ago people were taking about Europe after 4 or 5 games yet again premature, like a lot are being now.

All teams have peaks and troughs in form and results, let's stick with it for the full season and judge then

Spot on Norge!!

I think I'd take "disappointed", sometimes "bitterly" over "delighted, now I can go on the forum and tell everyone how clever I am"

I dont think it does contradict what people have said about the board. No one has suggested the board have given Archie zero. It has been suggested the board should be giving him more than what he is receiving, supporting him more.

Re Amoo, I take it you are unaware he was injured at the start of the season? From recollection, he played in the Hamilton game, even though he was injured.

Your comment re attacking is incorrect. We have created quite a few chances. In fact, was it not Dundee we hit the woodwork quite a few times.

I agree re Stevo. My impression was that he would play on the right of the three. But he can obviously play between positions. In a 4231 it's required that your attacking 4 can vary where they play.

I'd agree, the players we have should be performing better than they have. There are games they haven't done enough. And the buck stops with them. Eventually, if it doesn't pick up, the manager will lose his job. See Baraclough. Sacked by Morherwell and the chairman publically blamed the players. They let him down.

I have no doubt that there are a group of fans who want Archie out. As can be seen, he could turn water into wine. The minute we run out of wine. They are back anonymously posting on forums. the wine starts flowing and they disappear. Some call it trolling, some call it gutless.

Some say everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm not so sure. Is Stevie Wonder entitled to an opinion on the works of Banksy? There are some people who I would say are not entitled to their opinion on Archie or our players!

Why is that? Well as can be heard at any given game, they haven't got the first clue about how football is played, how Archie employs his tactics and formation. they slate players, yet Archie picks that guy every week.

there are people on here who don't attend games. But are sitting posting on here during a game calling for Archie's head. How can they formulate an opinion that is valid. They watch three minutes of thistle every Sunday night!!!

People are not entitled to an opinion. They might have an opinion, but they certainly should expect anyone to listen to it or take it seriously.

As I said before PT, I'm not a fan of our BoD. They're in it for the property IMO but to say he should be given more. They paid up contracts of Baird, Kerr, Forbes & Murray first season back in SPL & gave the manager cash to get Moncur, Taylor & Erskine in on loan along with Bauben & Mair.

No idea of the figures involved but there would've been a few quid spent.

Last season the BoD backed him with Stevenson, Seaborne, Carroll & Ecclestone. Which to be fair looked like 4 good purchases on paper. Carroll went down the road Jan with a few quid in his pocket having only played 9 or 10 games & Ecclestone- who is imagine wasn't the lowest paid player at the club- was released, again with a few quid in his pocket.

They supported him by bringing in Taylor again, wages wouldn't be cheap I'd guess, & Frans.

In return we've had no cup run to speak of to bolster finances & missed out on prize money due to poor results in last game/s.

Other than Kilmatnock, I reckon the Dundee game was the first game this season we've created more than a couple of chances in a game. Wasn't at Dingwall so can't comment & Motherwell on Saturday felt we didn't really create many clear cut chances.

If Amoo had been injured, having completed a full pre season, surely it shouldn't take him too long to get back up to speed- so to speak!!

I agree with why you say about the attacking 4 but we only seem to switch our 2 wide players & wouldn't say Stevenson a centre forward or a wide player like Higgy or Lawless, even Amoo. That's not to say he can't play wide but I go back to the point that whether he's seen as behind striker player or wider, he's not been given a run in the one position.

I think a fully fit Stevenson behind the striker will chip in with 8-10 goals a season. As stands in team we've been playing just now, Bannigan or Welsh won't get you that amount of goals & it's not Osman's game.

Which in turn leads to point that the buck stops at the manager. He sets up the team. As much as we all like to think we're master tacticians he's the one that selects the players in the team to get the result on a Saturday. He's the one that chooses the formation, works on defensive drills & set pieces.

Does anyone on here think a midfield 3 of Osman, Welsh & Bannigan works? I'd hazard a guess & say not many, if any. Like I said we might like to think we're master tacticians but we're football fans & call it as we see it. Maybe the manager is at the stubborn stage. We all remember that with previous incumbents- good & bad.

I've been on here arguing that the manager out his depth for past year or so. Sure he kept us up but then so did McCall & McGhee with Motherwell but some folk on here seem to laugh at them being suggested as a potential replacement.

As for opinions, is mi e any more or less valid than an armchair fan or nomad? That's a contentious issue. What I would say though is forget the forum, surely the biggest indication of folks opinions at this current moment is the crowds? Season Ticket numbers dwindling is a massive concern.

Why? Price certainly a factor I'm sure but do folk feel they're getting value for money? Are we playing the free flowing attacking footy of s couple seasons ago? Are we playing a quick passing game? On both the answer is no. I think we're playing a poor imitation of it where we pass the ball continually in front of a team then lump it. My opinion but then if I turn up every other week thinking that, what do lapsed fans/ST holders think?

Have the club asked?

I think just now there is is general malaise running through club from top to bottom.

But then, that's just my opinion that some folk (not yourself PT) think isn't as relevant as theirs.

• Like 1

As I said before PT, I'm not a fan of our BoD. They're in it for the property IMO but to say he should be given more. They paid up contracts of Baird, Kerr, Forbes & Murray first season back in SPL & gave the manager cash to get Moncur, Taylor & Erskine in on loan along with Bauben & Mair.

No idea of the figures involved but there would've been a few quid spent.

Last season the BoD backed him with Stevenson, Seaborne, Carroll & Ecclestone. Which to be fair looked like 4 good purchases on paper. Carroll went down the road Jan with a few quid in his pocket having only played 9 or 10 games & Ecclestone- who is imagine wasn't the lowest paid player at the club- was released, again with a few quid in his pocket.

They supported him by bringing in Taylor again, wages wouldn't be cheap I'd guess, & Frans.

In return we've had no cup run to speak of to bolster finances & missed out on prize money due to poor results in last game/s.

Other than Kilmatnock, I reckon the Dundee game was the first game this season we've created more than a couple of chances in a game. Wasn't at Dingwall so can't comment & Motherwell on Saturday felt we didn't really create many clear cut chances.

If Amoo had been injured, having completed a full pre season, surely it shouldn't take him too long to get back up to speed- so to speak!!

I agree with why you say about the attacking 4 but we only seem to switch our 2 wide players & wouldn't say Stevenson a centre forward or a wide player like Higgy or Lawless, even Amoo. That's not to say he can't play wide but I go back to the point that whether he's seen as behind striker player or wider, he's not been given a run in the one position.

I think a fully fit Stevenson behind the striker will chip in with 8-10 goals a season. As stands in team we've been playing just now, Bannigan or Welsh won't get you that amount of goals & it's not Osman's game.

Which in turn leads to point that the buck stops at the manager. He sets up the team. As much as we all like to think we're master tacticians he's the one that selects the players in the team to get the result on a Saturday. He's the one that chooses the formation, works on defensive drills & set pieces.

Does anyone on here think a midfield 3 of Osman, Welsh & Bannigan works? I'd hazard a guess & say not many, if any. Like I said we might like to think we're master tacticians but we're football fans & call it as we see it. Maybe the manager is at the stubborn stage. We all remember that with previous incumbents- good & bad.

I've been on here arguing that the manager out his depth for past year or so. Sure he kept us up but then so did McCall & McGhee with Motherwell but some folk on here seem to laugh at them being suggested as a potential replacement.

As for opinions, is mi e any more or less valid than an armchair fan or nomad? That's a contentious issue. What I would say though is forget the forum, surely the biggest indication of folks opinions at this current moment is the crowds? Season Ticket numbers dwindling is a massive concern.

Why? Price certainly a factor I'm sure but do folk feel they're getting value for money? Are we playing the free flowing attacking footy of s couple seasons ago? Are we playing a quick passing game? On both the answer is no. I think we're playing a poor imitation of it where we pass the ball continually in front of a team then lump it. My opinion but then if I turn up every other week thinking that, what do lapsed fans/ST holders think?

Have the club asked?

I think just now there is is general malaise running through club from top to bottom.

But then, that's just my opinion that some folk (not yourself PT) think isn't as relevant as theirs.

Again, can't argue with a lot you've said BGM.

I don't know the injury Amoo picked up, so no idea of time scales in getting back to full fitness.

I think regards budgets, it doesn't matter who we bring in, its the final pot and the spend that matters.

I think by stating players names as evidence of support from the board is a red herring, so to speak. The Board gave him £X, he could have asked Maxi to sign 20 players at £5 a week or 4 players on £25 a week. Who we signed was immaterial, as long as all those signings didn't go over his budget, it's Maxi's job to make sure Archie doesn't go over budget, i'd imagine.

Was "more" money made available? Over and above the agreed budget from any July? Who knows. It's not something thats ever made public.

If we free 4 players at Christmas, I don't think we give them every penny of their contract. We probably give them close to 60%. By not paying that remaining 40%, allows you to maybe bring in 1 or 2 players til the end of the season. Offering an 18 month contract is immaterial as the last 12 months are from next season's budget, which is only in a preliminary stage of discussion.

cheers for your posts.

dave

Again, can't argue with a lot you've said BGM.

I don't know the injury Amoo picked up, so no idea of time scales in getting back to full fitness.

I think regards budgets, it doesn't matter who we bring in, its the final pot and the spend that matters.

I think by stating players names as evidence of support from the board is a red herring, so to speak. The Board gave him £X, he could have asked Maxi to sign 20 players at £5 a week or 4 players on £25 a week. Who we signed was immaterial, as long as all those signings didn't go over his budget, it's Maxi's job to make sure Archie doesn't go over budget, i'd imagine.

Was "more" money made available? Over and above the agreed budget from any July? Who knows. It's not something thats ever made public.

If we free 4 players at Christmas, I don't think we give them every penny of their contract. We probably give them close to 60%. By not paying that remaining 40%, allows you to maybe bring in 1 or 2 players til the end of the season. Offering an 18 month contract is immaterial as the last 12 months are from next season's budget, which is only in a preliminary stage of discussion.

cheers for your posts.

dave

Not disagreeing but the £x budget set (& this was told to me by someone who os a club sponsor) that we've overspent our transfer budget again last season & coupled with poor crowds/cup run/league finishing prize money...

It's what was discussed at the start of the season by the manager stating looking at bringing in quality over quantity. Maybe with the budget he's been given this is the best.

I don't know.

I just know that if things continue as is we are going we're going to see a further decrease in a budget.

The previous incumbent(s) used their contacts to build a team on peanuts which ultimately have got us in the place we find ourselves today -SPL. If we go down, I can't see Archibald being able to do that (again my opinion).

I don't see the BoD sacking him so I'm sure we'll be having this debate again.

As I said before, I'd love Archibald to prove me wrong as ultimately it will mean staying in SPL but but unfortunately we've had too many of these dips & they're getting longer each time.

Cheers

• Like 1

Not disagreeing but the £x budget set (& this was told to me by someone who os a club sponsor) that we've overspent our transfer budget again last season & coupled with poor crowds/cup run/league finishing prize money

I don't understand how Archie can overspend the budget, it must be getting approval from above him.

Not disagreeing but the £x budget set (& this was told to me by someone who os a club sponsor) that we've overspent our transfer budget again last season & coupled with poor crowds/cup run/league finishing prize money...

It's what was discussed at the start of the season by the manager stating looking at bringing in quality over quantity. Maybe with the budget he's been given this is the best.

I don't know.

I just know that if things continue as is we are going we're going to see a further decrease in a budget.

The previous incumbent(s) used their contacts to build a team on peanuts which ultimately have got us in the place we find ourselves today -SPL. If we go down, I can't see Archibald being able to do that (again my opinion).

I don't see the BoD sacking him so I'm sure we'll be having this debate again.

As I said before, I'd love Archibald to prove me wrong as ultimately it will mean staying in SPL but but unfortunately we've had too many of these dips & they're getting longer each time.

Cheers ������������

Why do you come to this opinion?

Archie has sourced some pretty decent players for us and some of those that have been seen as failures, have been let go because of the standard of the top flight and the pressure for imediate performance.

Ok, his budget would be slashed again if we dropped, but I don't understand this narrative that Archie is some kind of footballing reclouse with nae mates in the game, no contacts alerting him to potential talent or that he needs every penny of his limited budget to to put together anything close to a competitive team.

Remember the united game at firhill last season when our squad was absolutely decimated by illness and injury? We could only manage 5 on the bench. We had to rely on youth and development players for the day against a side that still had Cifti, Mackay stevens and amstrong in it and was sitting 3rd in the league.

It might be the case that if we drop, the youth set up'll go too. Well i concede that is a danger. However, I'd still say that Archie has brought in good and capable players, some of whom have just not adjusted quikly enough to the top flight and some of whom have we simply could not afford to be patient with or give a decent opportunity in the team.

Henok Mukendi. All right, the name raises a smile, but, he cost us nothing. Maybe at a lower level he bight have broken thru? I dunno, but i do remember Doolan was thought by some to be a poor man's Liam Buchanan when he first appeared.

Archie has kept us up on peanuts. He brought us up with an inherited team, that still had competition for promotion. If he has overspent his budget, i'd suggest that it's probably happened compensating for trying to keep within it. I mean, January window bolstering of the squad, make no mistake, compared to others (ross county) Archie's scrambling for mid season hero's has been very much done in the bargain bin and he's had to get them right. I think the most archies been able to sign after xmas is 4? And nearly always loanees. .... Barraclough signed 7 for motherwell in January!

.... The thistle job is a very tricky one.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

So you can do sensible posts, when you try!

agreed, seems there's a first time for everything lindau.

the cup in this instance has, by avoiding posting his usual kak, highlighted an issue that i have felt has been apparent in every game this season.

for example, we lose a goal, what happens? ..... players trudge back towards centre circle, shoulders slouched, heads down, silence amongst them. almost every goal conceded, that has happened. why is the captain, or even other experienced heads, playing silent, when they should be rallying their teammates, where is the anger or passion?

it's not just when we concede is it apparent, there appears to be a general malaise of fire in bellys this season. yes, we've had moments we've looked good v killie and dundee, could have been out of sight in these games early on, five or ten minute positive and encouraging spells in other games, but we on the whole have looked lacking in passion, playing without pride in the jersey, or with any fire in our bellys. where are and who are the fighters, the motivators, the vocal, in our squad right now?

motherwell were overall a rotten footballing team truth be told - problem is, we were ultimately worse. yes, we created more half chances, looked bit better at times, but we were not streetwise enough or wanting the win as much as lanarkshires wee team. who was leading by example? who was seen spurring their teammates on? and i don't mean for five or ten minutes, it needs to be for ninety minutes plus stoppage time. we have the players who can perform better than they are currently performing. we have a manager who can do better than he currently is. both seem to be lacking in that fire and passion right now, and no one is stepping up to the plate, and it's all these things that is what frustrates me the most just now watching us.

Edited by yoda-jag

Why do you come to this opinion?

Archie has sourced some pretty decent players for us and some of those that have been seen as failures, have been let go because of the standard of the top flight and the pressure for imediate performance.

Remember the united game at firhill last season when our squad was absolutely decimated by illness and injury?

Archie has kept us up on peanuts. He brought us up with an inherited team, that still had competition for promotion. If he has overspent his budget, i'd suggest that it's probably happened compensating for trying to keep within it. I mean, January window bolstering of the squad, make no mistake, compared to others (ross county) Archie's scrambling for mid season hero's has been very much done in the bargain bin and he's had to get them right. I think the most archies been able to sign after xmas is 4? And nearly always loanees. .... Barraclough signed 7 for motherwell in January!

.... The thistle job is a very tricky one.

I've never said that he's not sourced decent players. I seem to remember a thread last year discussing his transfer dealings & whether they were hit or miss.

Again, that is all open to interpretation & folks opinions. Even the overspend in transfer budget is alleged as such until the club tell us officially or it is seen in accounts.

What we can deal is with facts in terms of players we've released months after signing them.

Your argurment of standard of top flight. Again only an opinion but most people agree, that we've been in the poorest top flight division for many years.

No Rangers, no Hibs, no Hearts who all would be considered mainstays of the league. Why was that? Financial mismanagement for 2 of them but for Hibs it could be argued that it was down to managerial appointments & standard of players brought in.

Look at them now. No guarantee of coming back up this season either.

Now that could be used as an argurment to keep Archibald but then if you're talking about dismantling what's left of the previous 2 managers teams & a youth policy going along with the manager taking us down with poor results then it's a big chance.

Collins, Britton/Whyte & Campbell are no arguement to keep him anymore than an arguement not to. Do I trust the BoD to make the correct appointment if they do decide to get rid? Probably not but then as it stands just now I think the manager has run out of ideas.

Btw, I don't think they will sack him.

The DU game? A one off. It was like a cup game. You could argue the manager should be treating Celtic games like this instead of playing a back 10.

Having to get it right in Jan? Well at risk of contradicting myself here, in first season Taylor had an immediate impact but Mair was biggest signing for me there. That was probably equivalent of pound stretchers after getting it wrong with 99p store Baird, Piccolo, Mukendi.

Same could be said last season in Jan but irony was (& here comes my contradiction) it wasn't until he turned back to players that were already there that performances picked up- Doolan, Balatoni, Craigen.

This year however it doesn't look as though we can wait til Jan as the 50p store signings not doing it & not sure what will be left in 99p store that we haven't looked at & rejected before.

The Thistle job is indeed tricky but then name me a football team whose job isn't?

I've never said that he's not sourced decent players. I seem to remember a thread last year discussing his transfer dealings & whether they were hit or miss.

Again, that is all open to interpretation & folks opinions. Even the overspend in transfer budget is alleged as such until the club tell us officially or it is seen in accounts.

What we can deal is with facts in terms of players we've released months after signing them.

Your argurment of standard of top flight. Again only an opinion but most people agree, that we've been in the poorest top flight division for many years.

No Rangers, no Hibs, no Hearts who all would be considered mainstays of the league. Why was that? Financial mismanagement for 2 of them but for Hibs it could be argued that it was down to managerial appointments & standard of players brought in.

Look at them now. No guarantee of coming back up this season either.

Now that could be used as an argurment to keep Archibald but then if you're talking about dismantling what's left of the previous 2 managers teams & a youth policy going along with the manager taking us down with poor results then it's a big chance.

Collins, Britton/Whyte & Campbell are no arguement to keep him anymore than an arguement not to. Do I trust the BoD to make the correct appointment if they do decide to get rid? Probably not but then as it stands just now I think the manager has run out of ideas.

Btw, I don't think they will sack him.

The DU game? A one off. It was like a cup game. You could argue the manager should be treating Celtic games like this instead of playing a back 10.

Having to get it right in Jan? Well at risk of contradicting myself here, in first season Taylor had an immediate impact but Mair was biggest signing for me there. That was probably equivalent of pound stretchers after getting it wrong with 99p store Baird, Piccolo, Mukendi.

Same could be said last season in Jan but irony was (& here comes my contradiction) it wasn't until he turned back to players that were already there that performances picked up- Doolan, Balatoni, Craigen.

This year however it doesn't look as though we can wait til Jan as the 50p store signings not doing it & not sure what will be left in 99p store that we haven't looked at & rejected before.

The Thistle job is indeed tricky but then name me a football team whose job isn't?

The line that prompted me to reply to your previous post suggested to me you have doubts about archie's ability to put together a competitive team if we were to drop.

My position is, that results are bad just now but we are competitive, losing by the odd goal, hitting the woodwork and missing good chances. We have been sufficiently competitive over the past 3 seasons to win promotion and survive in the top flight, and Archie, whether he has over spent or not has done a remarkable job with the cash he has used, which quite clearly is not alot.

No manager can be certain of their signings, no matter how much they spend. £12m for Tore Andre Flo seem like a good idea at the time to some! :lol: .....

Many players take time to settle, get comfortable in a team, adapt to new or different training practices.... there are factors that can make good players struggle to shine Immediately.... Sadly, given our current circumstances, of which archie can do little about ( ie recently promoted club with no great boost in finance from that success that would dramatically raise our scope for signings or squad size), The gaffer does not have the luxury of giving players pro-longed settling in time. I guess he has attempted to mitigate this using the loan system, farming out guys for game time and exerience, but it's not always ideal, and alot of the guys we are able to sign are ambitious youngsters desperately seeking first team football.... It's a hard sell for the gaffer..... Archie signing players then releasing them months afterwards is not that strong a stick to beat him with, if on the other hand one is of the opinion his over spending is due to signing duds and payng them a wage ?

Over the past two seasons yes, there has been some "big" clubs out of the picture, and the standard may not have been what is once was. But it is still better than the first. There might be some parity in cup games, but the evidence i'd say is that there is still a pretty big gap. Motherwell beating sevco 6-1 over two legs? John Baird and Mark Kerr seem to be key players in the second placed Falkirk side this year....

I don't buy this, Archie's relied on previous manager's team stuff either.... For me, we would very possibly not have survived season one without the significant signings and loans of Higgy, Gallagher, Mair, MacMillan, Fraser, Taylor, Bauben coming on board. If anything one previous c*nto manager did just about everything he could to scupper us by taking Erskine and paton on pre contracts walking out the door with his assistant and nabbing a cuple more of the backroom team along the way!

..... I'm not "having a go" at you here at all... honest.... I respect that at least, even though we might disagree on some things, you take the time to post some decent questions....

I just can't get my head around "Archie must go" or even "sadly, with regret, maybe it's time"......

It's not blind loyalty or nostaligic fondness. The guy has worked a minor miracle keeping us up.... regardless of the demise of old firm and the Embra 2....

He's not without flaw or room for improvement. I would suggest he knows that as much as anybody and is working on it. Despite the soul destroying results at the moment, given all that he has to work with, and struggle against, he absolutely desreves the benefit of any doubt.... In my opinion :thumbsup2:

eta

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 5

agreed, seems there's a first time for everything lindau.

the cup in this instance has, by avoiding posting his usual kak, highlighted an issue that i have felt has been apparent in every game this season.

for example, we lose a goal, what happens? ..... players trudge back towards centre circle, shoulders slouched, heads down, silence amongst them. almost every goal conceded, that has happened. why is the captain, or even other experienced heads, playing silent, when they should be rallying their teammates, where is the anger or passion?

it's not just when we concede is it apparent, there appears to be a general malaise of fire in bellys this season. yes, we've had moments we've looked good v killie and dundee, could have been out of sight in these games early on, five or ten minute positive and encouraging spells in other games, but we on the whole have looked lacking in passion, playing without pride in the jersey, or with any fire in our bellys. where are and who are the fighters, the motivators, the vocal, in our squad right now?

motherwell were overall a rotten footballing team truth be told - problem is, we were ultimately worse. yes, we created more half chances, looked bit better at times, but we were not streetwise enough or wanting the win as much as lanarkshires wee team. who was leading by example? who was seen spurring their teammates on? and i don't mean for five or ten minutes, it needs to be for ninety minutes plus stoppage time. we have the players who can perform better than they are currently performing. we have a manager who can do better than he currently is. both seem to be lacking in that fire and passion right now, and no one is stepping up to the plate, and it's all these things that is what frustrates me the most just now watching us.

Excpeting Tam Cerny, you make a good point here. Yer Saturday day job merchants are here, there and everywhere at every club - you have to wonder if our win bonus structure is balanced as well it could be. With coaching manuals and tactics being carbon copied from the same masters these days, the edge must come from elsewhere. Cultivating the gang mentality, for me, makes a huge difference between teams outwith the bigger spenders. Yogi Hughes, it has to be said, is the master of the fine art and his Cup runs and League results prove it. It's this more than anything else that Archie needs to be working on. Shaggy's got a big role to play here in trying to put a bite more bite into them. The lack of protest after McDonalds shove on Freddy was shocking. We should have had every spare body swarming ref and line on that one.

• Like 1

agree tjr, tc is exempt ..... he has from day one looked like he cares, gets angry and vocal when loses a goal and clearly hurts. but we need more than tc to win us games. every outfield squad member needs to raise their game and attitude. stop being so frigging soft and cuddly!!!

Edited by yoda-jag

The lack of protest after McDonalds shove on Freddy was shocking. We should have had every spare body swarming ref and line on that one.

Out of everything on Saturday, that was the thing that bugged me the most. The minute Frans felt that push from McDonald he should have went down like a ton of bricks. Was right in line with it in the main stand and I clearly saw it, so why did the team not react to it. More annoyingly, Frans just accepted it, whereas, as some have said, other teams would have been surrounding the ref. Our booking counts every week suggests we don't have a soft centre, but that is far from the truth.

Out of everything on Saturday, that was the thing that bugged me the most. The minute Frans felt that push from McDonald he should have went down like a ton of bricks. Was right in line with it in the main stand and I clearly saw it, so why did the team not react to it. More annoyingly, Frans just accepted it, whereas, as some have said, other teams would have been surrounding the ref. Our booking counts every week suggests we don't have a soft centre, but that is far from the truth.

There was a similar occasion in their half during the second half when Booth cutting in at pace was nudged but kept on his feet. Had he gone down he would probably have won a legitimate free kick. As it was he lost his momentum and with much of the team wrongfooted, the counter attack nearly ended in a goal for 'Well.