Strathmore Post Match

homerjag

"Plenty of wallopers".

Wallopers. LOL, what a great word, one of my favourite words that you rarely see in print. As is 'fud'. There, I said it. Fud. Don't see that in print much either. I love hearing and seeing it in use, in all of its guises.

ETA...I've not had the pleasure of visiting the Monkey this season but if, like this forum, it's got it's mix of wallopers and fuds, then I'll be back very soon.

Good day to you, Sir.

Edited by The Sons of Somner
  • Like 2

Sadly the Dark Budvar is hard to get now, so the half & half has bitten the dust! Shame as it was great!

Catastrophe!!!! Probably the best pint I have ever had in the city.....and my God I have had plenty over the years...lol. Being teetotal for the foreseeable future takes the sting out the tail though!

I see that the old Crosslands is being done up as we speak with lots of wood panelling on the outside, apparently going to be another one of these trendy bars selling "gourmet burgers".

Sad to see these traditional working class establishments being replaced by these drab, identikit over priced corporate hang outs.

Quite sad when you speak to folk in their early to mid twenties who think every pub that's not owned by G1 is "full of jakeys" or "dodgy".

I remember my old man telling stories of the Strathmore being a great mix of Maryhill locals and students from the neighbouring halls every night of the week.

Went in on Sunday for a swifty and to catch the end of the football. Looks like there's still quite a lot of locals going in despite the refurb. It's owned by the same people who own Lebowski's out at Charing Cross. It's OK inside, but nothing more than that. Nice beer garden out back with wee huts for winter. Really noisy inside, as it was quite busy, they had the football on AND they had a DJ playing over the top of all that.

Catastrophe!!!! Probably the best pint I have ever had in the city.....and my God I have had plenty over the years...lol. Being teetotal for the foreseeable future takes the sting out the tail though!

The Budvar Alcohol Free (also available at the BM) is very good! I was lucky enough to go to the brewery a couple of years ago & it really is made the same way as the 'proper' beer - they just stop the fermentation. Very nice compared to many of the other ones available.

The Budvar Alcohol Free (also available at the BM) is very good! I was lucky enough to go to the brewery a couple of years ago & it really is made the same way as the 'proper' beer - they just stop the fermentation. Very nice compared to many of the other ones available.

That could be a plan. Is it on draft or bottles GPT.

Great news, I'll be in to try that!

Worth getting in Brewdog Nanny State, their 0%. Its beautiful.

Edited by potty trained

Really noisy inside, as it was quite busy, they had the football on AND they had a DJ playing over the top of all that.

I heard that DJ and promotions guy Earl Cheffield - a few forum folk are bound to know him - has the place earmarked for a Sunday social. Dunno if that's weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or whatever.

Excuse my ignorance but what's a "Sunday social"?

In this context probably being flanked by not so young men in tweed & dubious facial hair talking about how they 'smashed it' last night whilst listening to hipster beats, drinking the latest Sloppy Donkey (or something) craft ale and munching on an 'ironic' bacon roll.

Or something. On a Sunday.

Edited by Gary Peebles Tackle
  • Like 3

In this context probably being flanked by not so young men in tweed & dubious facial hair talking about how they 'smashed it' last night whilst listening to hipster beats, drinking the latest Sloppy Donkey (or something) craft ale and munching on an 'ironic' bacon roll.

Or something. On a Sunday.

I have a beard and like soul, jazz and deep house. But my favourite tipple is a pint of Tennent's.

• Like 1

Brewdog's 0% is the best i've tried. I'll be taking note of the others mentioned. Cheers folks, for posting them.

Bavia alcohol free Wheat Beer is really nice.

Anyone who boasts Becks Blue as their only AF lager of choice, are kidding themselves.

There's a huge market out there to sell to.

ETA. Anyone who charges the same price for a Lager Shandy as they do for a pint of lager, is taking the piss.

Edited by potty trained