Refereeing Standards

Harry Wragg

I know for a fact that i'm not the only one who was disgusted with the standard of refereeing on Saturday, the St Johnstone fans were also flabbergasted at some of the decisions and yet the media appeared to praise Beatons performance , the reporters in question weren't at the same game I watched !! My biggest gripe is the fact that the linesmen don't appear to contribute to any decision making , for example when the ball goes out , their flag goes up vertically and only directionally at the refs decision, are they told before the game that the ref is running the show ? He cant possibly see everything so surely the other officials should be more involved in matters. Would be interesting to know what the decorum is regarding control of the game , imo one of the reasons for dwindling attendances is the shockingly low standard of refereeing.

I know for a fact that i'm not the only one who was disgusted with the standard of refereeing on Saturday, the St Johnstone fans were also flabbergasted at some of the decisions and yet the media appeared to praise Beatons performance , the reporters in question weren't at the same game I watched !! My biggest gripe is the fact that the linesmen don't appear to contribute to any decision making , for example when the ball goes out , their flag goes up vertically and only directionally at the refs decision, are they told before the game that the ref is running the show ? He cant possibly see everything so surely the other officials should be more involved in matters. Would be interesting to know what the decorum is regarding control of the game , imo one of the reasons for dwindling attendances is the shockingly low standard of refereeing.

My daughter attended the same Uni as Mr Beaton and at the same time.

It would be unfair of me to reiterate her comments but he did make it known to all that Uni was a sideline and that all he wanted to do was to be in charge on a football pitch. Now he is a referee.

I know that we all make mistakes from time to time. But some of their decisions are mind boggling. Maybe it's time to follow England's lead and have full time professional refs, instead of part time ones who have another profession.

Who would pay for them ? The English Premier League might be floating on cash, but the SPL is struggling.

Perhaps we have the standard of referee that our standard of football deserves. What are referees like in English Leagues One/Two ?

I know that we all make mistakes from time to time. But some of their decisions are mind boggling. Maybe it's time to follow England's lead and have full time professional refs, instead of part time ones who have another profession.

It doesn't solve the problem, though. English referees are also criticised by supporters and the media.

They already get 840 quid per Scottish Premiership match...... what would they be on if they were "full-time" professionals?

One of my friends was an assistant referee in the SPL. He told me that one time when he flagged for an incident in a match, the ref ran across to him and said " they all think that I am consulting you. I am only here to tell you that if you flag again for anything other than a throw in or a corner, I will ram that flag right up your @rse!"

That was a few years back, but it seems that things have not changed much. I can count on the fingers on on hand the number of times that I have seen a ref consultant his assistant in recent years.

That was a few years back, but it seems that things have not changed much. I can count on the fingers on on hand the number of times that I have seen a ref consultant his assistant in recent years.

Yon (non) goal from a corner (not) scored by ICT against us a couple of seasons ago remains a rare but pleasant example of such consultation!

It doesn't solve the problem, though. English referees are also criticised by supporters and the media.

They already get 840 quid per Scottish Premiership match...... what would they be on if they were "full-time" professionals?

Here in Germany, the salaries for referees are

FIFA accredited, €60.000

non-FIFA acc. , €50.000 (after 5 years in the Bundesliga).

Starting salary for Bundesliga, €40.000

Bundesliga 2, €25.000

On top of that, they'll get €3.800 for a BL1 or €2.000 for a BL2 game!

Serious money, and having seen the H96 goal against Cologne on Sunday, wouldn't say that the fans/clubs are getting much value for said money.

Edited by German Jag