Murderwell Game 27/02/16

Lindau

What a dire dire performance that was today. Absolutely abysmal from almost everyone. Probably as bad as the performance against Dundee Utd in the Scottish Cup a few weeks ago. Almost to a man, we were out fought, out thought and out played. How a player the size of McDonald can appear to bully Frans so easily is beyond me. At least push him about a bit. And stop letting him spin away from you FFS. I can understand getting beat by a better team, you get used to that as a Thistle fan, but there was no excuse for some of the performances today which were caused by a lack of effort. Players not running into space to receive the ball, not closing down the ball when out of possession and not getting closer to the man. These problems are indicative of a lack of effort, not just a bad day at the office. Miller looked like he was 60 years old compared to the pace of the Well players who were clearly more interested and far more hungry.

The supporters made the effort to support the team and the players have to do better. Fingers crossed for an improvement, and a big improvement at that. Men v Boys today. Utter shite.

Excellent post. Sums the performance up. McDonald created mayhem in our usually solid defence. His through ball for Moults goal was fantastic. Facts are that we treated this like an end of the season game. No fight, no closing down, no effort. Was totally unacceptable. That only changed when Amoo came on.

Was Nesbitt solely responsible fir the 38 minutes of shite before the penalty?

Haven't seen anyone saying that. Someone pointed out how (that in their opinion) Elliot was the worst man on the park , I pointed out that (in my opinion) I thought Nesbitt was. Constantly lost possession, gave away a needless penalty, just before half time, that changed the game and being hooked at half time probably backs up my opinion. Nesbitt should not be beyond criticism, just because he is 19. He, quite righty, got plenty of plaudits on Tuesday but (in my opinion) was the worst player in blue yesterday, but there were plenty not far behind him. That's my opinion and I made it clear that only Cerny, Booth and Amoo got anywhere near pass marks from me. Time to move on to the St Johnstone game

Edited by Lindau

From the highlights, Motherwell were knocking the ball around nicely in and around our penalty box, while we were putting in no challenges at all. If you don't try to win the ball back, you're not going to get much joy.

Callum's goal: a consolation gift from their keeper.

Not had to say this too many times this season, but the defence was dreadful Jagger. The space we gave McDonald throughout the game was ridiculous and he punished us severely for it. I assume Fred was told to pick him up, but he never got near him all day. Need to bounce back midweek

*facepalm*

Cognitive dissonance.

Fair enough criticism. Probably didn't word that right. Only point I was making was that Christie has had half a season out injured, no pre season and the bounce factor was always a possibility in the next game (especially with only 4 days between) and so it transpired.

Edited by Lindau

Ouch. I'm never that happy when I travel in such an optimistic frame of mind, particularly to Lanarkshire. And so it proved. Utterly insipid today, looked more kick our early season selves than what we've showed recently. Very disappointing. Still, hopefully like the Dundee game it's a blip, so let's see what we can do over the next 4 (tightly packed) games.

Ouch. I'm never that happy when I travel in such an optimistic frame of mind, particularly to Lanarkshire. And so it proved. Utterly insipid today, looked more kick our early season selves than what we've showed recently. Very disappointing. Still, hopefully like the Dundee game it's a blip, so let's see what we can do over the next 4 (tightly packed) games.

We played ok against the Saints on Tuesday and very well at Parkhead at New Year. Other than that I have to say we ave been pretty poor since the turn of the year, but we have managed to grind out some pretty important results thanks to the defence. The defence was frankly a shambles on Saturday, giving their front three, especially McDonald, the freedom of Fir Park. Let's hope that was a blip, because if we start shipping goals, we don't have goals in the team to counteract that and it could be a long run in!

Nesbitt's a good player, but not one we should be building our team around.

To be clear, it was a bad performance, pretty much, all round. However, we have been grinding out some decent results again this season by being strong defensively and competent in the midfield.

I very much doubt a talented kid from celtic is going to turn us into an attacking goal scoring machine.

Welsh has had some poor performances, but does Nesbitt's unquestionable talent compensate for what Welsh does contribute?

I'm not saying Welsh is the key player, we beat killie and St'j without him(which in fairness have been the only games we have won by more than the odd goal), however he did start in our other 6 league wins.

Archie's dilemma appears to me to be either, concentrate on guiding the ship safely back to port or try pick up one more big catch on the way.

I think he made the wrong call on Saturday.