Jimmy Davidson Scores For Scotland

The Sunnylaw Jag

Excellent stuff indeed. Funny how Northern Ireland are referred to as "Ireland".

The date of the game is at the same time changes were taking place within the whole of Irish football. Some details below.

Summary

1880 – IFA founded in Belfast, representing all of Ireland ("Ireland")

1921 – FAI founded in Dublin, representing Southern Ireland ("Irish Free State")

1936 – FAI begins also selecting Northern players ("Ireland"/"Éire")

1946 – FAI stops selecting Northern players ("Republic of Ireland" as of 1954)[3]

1950 – IFA stops selecting Southern players ("Northern Ireland" as of 1954)[3]

The date of the game is at the same time changes were taking place within the whole of Irish football. Some details below.

Summary

1880 – IFA founded in Belfast, representing all of Ireland ("Ireland")

1921 – FAI founded in Dublin, representing Southern Ireland ("Irish Free State")

1936 – FAI begins also selecting Northern players ("Ireland"/"Éire")

1946 – FAI stops selecting Northern players ("Republic of Ireland" as of 1954)[3]

1950 – IFA stops selecting Southern players ("Northern Ireland" as of 1954)[3]

Thanks for that. I knew Johnny Carey of Man Utd had represented both the North and the South but i thought he was a one off.

Thanks for that. I knew Johnny Carey of Man Utd had represented both the North and the South but i thought he was a one off.

The wee red book has games v Notthern Ireland from 1884, and Republic from 1960. Neither was not formed until 1921. I think there was a united team for a while though

Back in the day when you couldn't get into a game unless you had an eight piece bunnet.

It is my (barely) considered opinion that it was the over-sized bunnet that delayed the introduction of covered enclosures in Scottish football, because all the bunnets lined up and formed a continuous roof over the crowd.

It is my (barely) considered opinion that it was the over-sized bunnet that delayed the introduction of covered enclosures in Scottish football, because all the bunnets lined up and formed a continuous roof over the crowd.

also a covered enclosure only protected you from rain. You were just as likely to get wet from another more unpleasant albeit warmer way,

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this. I wish ma Dad had been alive so I could have shown him this. Jimmy, Willie Sharp & Johnny McKenzie were his 3 heroes. What a great shot from behind the goals. Heard so many stories of Jimmy nearly bursting the net wi free kicks it was good to finally see one.

Davidson and McKenzie both in action against Hungary in this one.

I still have the ticket Stub from that game somewhere think it was 1/9d or 4/6d and the old man sold a lot fish and chips after that game .

it was that cold the ball must have been rock hard and lethal.