The Pa System

Veejag

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the failure of the PA System down to the announcer on being on the pitch?

Can they not just provide him with an XLR mic and keep him up at the gantry? Surely that would prevent the issues caused by, presumably, the remote mic?

It's getting a bit silly now.

Edited by Veejag

It's been shocking for years but Saturday was an all time low! We are trying hard on and off the pitch. How bloody difficult is it to get a proper microphone/PA system! Time for a Bowen Boys fund raiser methinks!

I'm already contributing to the re-laying of the pitch, as well as the monthly Centenary Fund, not to mention the annual season ticket, I'm not paying for a bloody PA system as well! I think the club should sort this themselves... How long have we had to put up with a dreadful sound system in the ground? Forever? Just get it fixed.

• Like 2

I'm already contributing to the re-laying of the pitch, as well as the monthly Centenary Fund, not to mention the annual season ticket, I'm not paying for a bloody PA system as well! I think the club should sort this themselves... How long have we had to put up with a dreadful sound system in the ground? Forever? Just get it fixed.

Nobody is asking you to contribute, it's your own personal choice. Every second Saturday I (and I guess 3,000 others) sit there and cringe when it comes to half time and Norman Collier appears. It's beyond a joke now and it seems to be a problem that is exclusive to our club. It needs sorted permanently over the close season

It's been shocking for years but Saturday was an all time low! We are trying hard on and off the pitch. How bloody difficult is it to get a proper microphone/PA system! Time for a Bowen Boys fund raiser methinks!

From memory, the system has been garbage since, at least, the time that Brown McMaster was chairmen.

Maybe the threat of a Last Jag Talking fund raiser would embarrass the Club into a permanent fix.

Edited to change "pregnant" to "permanent" - bloody predictive tact! :-)

Edited by Rid Skwerr

• Members

The funny thing is, the announcements after the half time fiasco were all fine. They've given up interviewing the stars of Yesteryear because of the microphone issues so is there any point announcing the draw from the pitch side? Do all announcements from the gantry until such times that they get a mic with a stronger signal.

I feel sorry for the announcer. He is asked to make a public raffle draw and introduce special guests using duff equipment.

The club have to spend a great deal of money on the pitch in the summer. Other areas of funding will suffer.

The pitch fundraising that we are doing will enable the club to save some of its own money to use in other areas. This may include upgrading the radio connection, I don't know.

If you feel strongly about this, contact the club to let them know and pledge some money to our fundraising.

The more money we throw into the pitch, the better.

Or they could just install, or even make, an electronic scoreboard. They aren't expensive, and it would be great if we could tell how many minutes had gone, let alone provide other useful information for visitors and regulars alike. We have a whole end of the ground doing nothing but displaying advertising and propping up a single camera - which also needs an electrical lead.

Is it just the microphone that is the problem, or is the speaker system too also in need of refurbishment? I know it is okay in the NS and JHS, but not sure what like it is for away fans in the Main Stand.

Everything needs replaced - the speaker system, the microphone and the guy holding the microphone.

• Like 2

By my reckoning The Beatles must have produced an album called "N U J V"

From the ever reliable wikipedia:

The album cover features the Beatles with their arms positioned to spell out a word in flag semaphore. According to cover photographer Robert Freeman, "I had the idea of semaphore spelling out the letters "HELP". But when we came to do the shot, the arrangement of the arms with those letters didn't look good. So we decided to improvise and ended up with the best graphic positioning of the arms."

On the UK Parlophone release, the letters formed by the Beatles appear to be "NUJV", whilst the slightly re-arranged US release on Capitol Records appeared to feature the letters "NVUJ", with McCartney's left hand pointing to the Capitol logo.

Wasn't there on Saturday but PA has been an issue for as long as I remember. System is amateurish as is the announcer. How about a bit of lateral thinking - could the club get a new system in return for some free advertising / hospitality / sponsorship ? Are there any Jags fans out there with DJ / pubic speaking expertise who would be able to use the PA system to create a better atmosphere. Maybe a pool of announcers if someone can't commit every game. And the choice of music could be better.