Standard Of International Team

Weebaw1

If Northern Ireland can qualify for a finals with that said then there's no reason we can't.

That said they won't get an easier qualifying group that the one the just had for another 50 years +. Had Scotland been in that group we would have qualified

Much as I want Scotland to qualify for every tournament we enter there's always the consolation of knowing we'd almost certainly come a cropper once we got to the competition proper. The one constant remaining from the days when we routinely qualified for the two major competitions (especially the World Cup) is the inadequacy of the SFA. Those bumbling self important buffoons were always the the thorn in the side of our more successful international teams. The combination of an international team that just barely scrapped into a Euro or World Cup and a joke of a Stuart Regan led governing body would be doomed to failure.

It is tho' a ******' shame (maybe even a disgrace) that there can be very few Scots under the age of thirty five who will have had a chance of being at a major tournament and watching Scotland.

Are we? Have we proved it? They qualified, we didn't. Out of a group that we would be saying that we are a better side than ROI. We fooked it up with a terrible manager.

Not taking anything away from your opinion of the manager but I'd hope you would still agree that Scotland has enjoyed relatively greater success under poorer management than Strachan. I've only watched televised games so I'm open to justifiable criticism from those who attend Scotland games, but I feel the lack of an outright leader on the park is just (if not more) important than the manager himself.

The guys I'm talking about were often the source of the international manager's worse headaches but were vital to grinding out wins etc. A good international side is usually packed with experienced pros who can change playing styles to suit how a game is going. They don't necessarily have to wait for instructions from the sidelines to carry out changes.

The manager himself is usually better equipped at massaging egos and keeping his star players happy than deploying master tactics etc. Scotland alas no longer appears to have its share of egos, never mind stars, so I feel too much emphasis falls upon the manager, whoever he is.

We are fkn pish, cant make it to a euros that pub teams have made it to, have such little interest in scotland now due to years of failure, i was 13 at time of france 98, havent really seen a good scotland team my whole life.

That last qualification was a huge blown opportunity, i dont mind strachan but cant see him getting us to a tournament, we are scottish and dont get nice things!

We need a huge change of mentality, and that's before we accept that the raw material at Gordon Strachan's disposal is barren.

Draws away against teams from outwith the first two pots are not an acceptable result if qualification is the aim. Irrespective of the paucity of talent, we have to know how to manage a qualifying campaign to achieve qualification, and that means going out to places like Georgia and Ireland and bloody well winning the game.

We were the oldest team in the euro qualifiers.

Duds like Scott Brown Steven Fletcher and Alan Hutton walk into the team. But I can't think of anyone better. That's the concern.

I watched some of the scotland vs Portugal (think it was under 17's) recently. It was only 2-0 but there was a massive gap in class. Rather like last night's game, we were set up to lose not too heavily. But the young Scots were skill-less and skinny.

You look around the young players and perhaps Tierney might excite. Is there anyone out there or will Darren Fletcher still be playing in 10 years' time.

I recall the glory night vs Czechoslovakia with relish as one of the great nights of my life. Would live to share another with my kids.

I feel for Strachan as he has a lack of any talent. BTW Josh Magennis would walk into the Scottish team.

Sat in Malta last night with a bloke who had brought his wee lad (11/12?) for his first Scotland game.

Wee lad didn't look too enthused (no problem with that, we had hardly given him anything to feel enthused about). Reassured the young lad that it wouldn't always be like this.

But even I'm having my doubts now..................

We were the oldest team in the euro qualifiers.

Duds like Scott Brown Steven Fletcher and Alan Hutton walk into the team. But I can't think of anyone better. That's the concern.

I watched some of the scotland vs Portugal (think it was under 17's) recently. It was only 2-0 but there was a massive gap in class. Rather like last night's game, we were set up to lose not too heavily. But the young Scots were skill-less and skinny.

You look around the young players and perhaps Tierney might excite. Is there anyone out there or will Darren Fletcher still be playing in 10 years' time.

I recall the glory night vs Czechoslovakia with relish as one of the great nights of my life. Would live to share another with my kids.

I feel for Strachan as he has a lack of any talent. BTW Josh Magennis would walk into the Scottish team.

Lots of good points there. Singling out the Czechoslovakia game kinda emphasises my point about on field leadership being as crucial as management. I don't see inspired leaders in senior players like Brown, Darren Fletcher and Hutton or elsewhere for that matter. That night in '73 we had guys like Law, Bremner, Hay and McGrain all very strong characters. In truth the manager, Wee Ormond, was no formidable figure and was on occasion shown little respect by some of his squad. But he could put a good team together safe in the knowledge they could boss themselves. I just don't think that's the case these days.

I blame the collapse of communism. There are now significantly more countries in UEFA than there were when we were regularly qualifying for tournaments. Where before we had Yugoslavia, USSR and Czech Republic there is now Croatia/Serbia/Slovenia/Russia/Ukraine/Czech Rep/Slovakia who are all better than us plus a host of smaller nations like Macedonia/Bosnia/Lithuania/Estonia who are capable on their day of competing with us. The answer is simple, if we want to see Scotland qualifying for tournaments regularly in future we should be getting right behind that Vladimir Putin fellow.

Also in recent years our players have been rubbish. We gave Kevin Kyle 10 caps FFS!

Edited by scottymagoo
  • Like 5