Standard Of International Team

Weebaw1

I am probably stating the bleeding obvious but I don’t hear many others, especially from those who can or should do something about it.

Scotland is not producing enough youngsters, in all sports, from grassroots level to compete at the highest level. We are an unhealthy nation. Our children are some of the most unfit and obese, as are their parents, in the world. Okay we do produce some top sports people but they are in individual competitor sports and often they have to go abroad at an early age to progress. We are duff in all national team games.

What else can we expect but less than mediocracy. There is no point blaming the Scotland manger or the current group of players. I think they are trying to the best of their ability. The problem has to be fixed at grassroots. </font></p>

...move along...Rangers are back...nothing to see here...saved from armageddon...

• Like 2

...move along...Rangers are back...nothing to see here...saved from armageddon...

Sadly this seems to be true in the eyes of those tubes that run the game in Scotland.

Get a grip Doncaster, the future needs to be grassroots youth development, else we will be onlookers for future Euros and World Cups for generations to come.

• Like 1

Sadly this seems to be true in the eyes of those tubes that run the game in Scotland.

Get a grip Doncaster, the future needs to be grassroots youth development, else we will be onlookers for future Euros and World Cups for generations to come.

Sports facilities are ridiculously expensive in Scotland. What it costs to hire a pitch on a Saturday is eye watering.

Someone made an apparently good point on the radio yesterday, as does Yellow and Redneck here. "why do we make it so difficult for ourselves?".

Perhaps I am mistaken, but do friendly matches effect our co-efficient for competitive competition, is it really helpful to "test ourselves" in such fixtures against the likes of Italy and France?

Radio guy made the point that other countries possibly use that to their advantage, playing friendly fixtures against teams of or below their perceived level, using them more as an extension of limited training/coaching sessions, enabling experimentation and team building, growing confidence and increasing chances of being in a better pot come the draws for the big competitions.

A Scotland manager should be knowledgeable enough to have a fair idea of the standard of his individual players to have good idea of how well equipped they are as a team to compete with the big boys and how best to set up that team to give them a chance in competition. I would suggest it's a very different job to club management. The coaching is surely more about organisation of the talent rather than developing it. Of course he should be able to spot potential and test it out, but building a confident team, working as a unit and able to impose themselves in matches rather than be dictated to has got to be easier developed when not getting pumped by the best.

"Glamour" friendlies seem pretty needless, possibly counter productive and an attempt to skew the fact we ain't competing with the big boys and haven't been for decades.

People want to see Scotland win. We want to see them compete too and we can handle a cuffing off Brazil once in a while. That opportunity is possibly more in danger with the current policy of taking on more than we can handle. We get a pop at one of the European big boys in every qualification campaign and could afford defeats if we were capable against the rest. Right now the fixture policy of the management seems masochistic.

• Like 1

I watched some of both recent games and unfortunately have to agree with those who say that we are going back the way. For example we have forwards who can't score and defenders who can't defend. In general our passing is abysmal and we can't tackle for toffee. These criticisms are far from frivolous and seem to point to a total failure to come to terms with how the modern game is actually played.

The blame for this is surely widespread, but the people who are in charge of our sport must bear ultimate responsibility. To my way of thinking if you are in charge of an organisation making cars and they don't work you'd justifiably get the bullet. So,how long can the twin horsemen of the apocalypse remain in situ? I do not however lay the entire blame on Messrs. Doncaster and Reagan, if anything they are the symptom and not the root cause of Scottish footballs malaise.

A thorough revolution is needed from the introduction of strict liability to effectively deal with sectarian behavior. To a far greater emphasis on the grass roots, communities and provision of better facilities.

Do I expect action on all or even any of these things, to be totally honest I don't.

As other people have said, Scottish football has been saved with Sevco joining the top league next season. For me Strachan or whoever suggested these fixtures has to take some of the blame. For a manager to come out and say he didn't want to blood some youngsters in these games is ludicrous. What are friendlies for? Playing the likes of Gordon Greer (free transfer) and about 90 when the next WC takes place, just about sums up our place in world football.

• Like 1

Finishing fourth in the last qualification series somes up where we're at.

An okay manager with some pretty average senior players and a smattering of promising youngsters and totally devoid of star quality.

We aren't very good, bang average in fact.