Stevie Lawless

jagfaelivi

Great news indeed. Be strange this time next year not having to wonder if Stevie will re-sign.

I don't know if it's completely accurate and we've no way of telling but Archie/The Club appear to be playing a more hardball game this closed season in terms of re-signing negotiations. Bottom line is for once we're not facing the same "will he, won't he" summer that has been detrimental to previous pre-seasons. We just need a right sided centreback (Frans or Miller) to commit and we can start the pre-season with not just a creditable starting XI but a strong enough bench as well.

Keeping both Stevie and Abdul against most definite competition is perhaps the best re-signing business for a long time.

• Like 2

Qualified 'yay!' from me, but what a statement this is about where the club is at the moment. Apart from Bannigan, we've re-signed our best players in the face of competition from other clubs and we're in a strong position to really kick on next season. When, if ever, has that happened before?

• Like 2

More good news. Cannot remember going into a pre season with only 2 or so new additions required. That, and next season being our fourth on the trot in the SPL, a funded professional youth set up, and no debt... All that's required now is top 6 and a Cup, and the dream will be complete....

Surprised he did. Especially for two years.

Likewise, I suppose.

Perhaps the family man/security aspect of Stevie's life has been overlooked? Otherwise his more public persona would suggest we'd be unlikely to retain his services never mind get him to sign on for an extra season. Maybe the seriously interested clubs were outside the commute distance from the Central Belt (ICT, Aberdeen?) and thus not so tempting to the lad? No idea myself but I'm doubly chuffed by him re-signing and signing on for an extra year.

It's also occurred to me that with Lawless, Erskine and Edwards all able to play centrally just behind the striker a lot of names being bandied about as possible signings will now be redundant.

Leaving aside the defence I feel we need a genuine wide player who's comfortable down the left side (Higgy type of right sided player or a natural left sided player to mirror Amoo). Not sure if Muirhead would fit that bill as I feel he's another more comfortable playing centrally. The other position going a begging is the Sean Welsh role (12/13 model). I'd have thought Gary Fraser should be capable of that role by now but, similar to Welsh(16/17), I have my doubts. Maybe Erskine could be the catalyst?

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett