Higgy

angry gaz

Nothing there to disagree with but I'd much prefer football to played with less fear that would allow an enigma more game time. So many entertaining players from the past wouldn't be given the time of day if they played today. Not in our claustrophobic wee leagues anyway. For instance I just can't envisage Charlie Cooke or Jimmy Johnstone tracking back. I wouldn't for a minute put Higginbotham in the same class as those two except in relative terms to the low standard of entertaining football we watch today. Players with his ability really should be playing in the top division here but our stupid leagues demand graft over guile. Higginbotham is wide open to criticism. He's certainly not a model professional tho' if I was a Pars fan I'd be delighted with the signing. I wonder if he'd still have been a Jags player had we started offering three year contracts six months earlier than we did? We quite possibly have dodged a bullet there.

Think the same could be said for Erskine as far as the dundee Utd were concerned, if it wasn't that we know what he can do and were/are willing to give him time then it could have been him slipping down the leagues.

Scored 6 for them I believe. The championship will be a very competitive league again this season, wouldn't just expect Utd to bounce back just because they were formerly an SPFL team. Arguably a more exciting league than ours.

Don't think there will/should be any argument, a Top league with most teams trying not to lose games to stay there and a champ league with at least 6 teams fighting for promotion.

Edited by jaggybunnet
  • Like 1

Nothing there to disagree with but I'd much prefer football to played with less fear that would allow an enigma more game time. So many entertaining players from the past wouldn't be given the time of day if they played today. Not in our claustrophobic wee leagues anyway. For instance I just can't envisage Charlie Cooke or Jimmy Johnstone tracking back. I wouldn't for a minute put Higginbotham in the same class as those two except in relative terms to the low standard of entertaining football we watch today. Players with his ability really should be playing in the top division here but our stupid leagues demand graft over guile.

Higginbotham is wide open to criticism. He's certainly not a model professional tho' if I was a Pars fan I'd be delighted with the signing. I wonder if he'd still have been a Jags player had we started offering three year contracts six months earlier than we did? We quite possibly have dodged a bullet there.

I don't disagree all too often inspirational offensive talents are stifled, however I don't think in the case of Higgy that was his problem. I think maybe naively he had a reasonably free roll in the two years he was with us. I personally think he just isn't up to the standard required simply because he is not consistent enough. In those two years he had one purple patch for half a season the rest was inconsistent shellfish dross with no potency either in finishing or carving out opportunities. I don't ever recall being upset about his defensive duties unlike on many occasion with Erskine for example prior to the promotion season.

If Higgy had regularity hit near the heights of the 4-3 loss away to Motherwell in his first season he wouldn't have left us for Killie and certainly wouldn't be moving to a Championship team so I agree I do think we dodged an expensive bullet.

Just occurred to me that Higgy featured in our goal of the season in both of his seasons with us. Rather strangely these both involved playing a long pass down the line from a deep full back position to halfway, on opposite sides of the pitch.

From left full back at Easter Road he played the ball up to Kris Doolan who cunningly flicked it over his head and outpaced and outsmarted two defenders before chipping the keeper for a glorious solo goal. From right full back at Tannadice he fed Steven O'Donnell who combined with Lyle Taylor (via an outrageous backheel) for a fantastic team goal. So perhaps there was more to Higgy than we often remember, and he certainly covered the whole pitch!

• Like 1

I don't ever recall being upset about his defensive duties unlike on many occasion with Erskine for example prior to the promotion season.

That's when I knew Erskine wasn't of this planet - his tracking back, work rate and tackling improved immensely over the course of 12-13.

Higgy in season 1 was fantastic for me. Demanded the ball, full of confidence, took players on and had a good shot on him. Season 2 performance was not as good but I saw a stat from the STV sports reporter whose name I cannot remember right now who said Higgy had 2nd best assists in the league that while season.

He's obviously talented but starting at clubs for short periods of time tells its own story for me. I like his passion and confidence but sometimes that got the better of him.

Higginbotham's second half of the 2013/14 season was up there with Erskine the previous year in terms of individual brilliance. I wouldn't disagree with the notion that without him, we might have found ourselves in a far more precarious position than we did that year.

But since then, it's been abject mediocrity, both here and Kilmarnock. He should be a stand out at Championship level though and he could very well push Dunfermline right into play-off contention.

From an opposition's perspective though, an attacking duo of Higgy and Joe Cardle is thoroughly detestable.