Qots 23/07/2016

Lindau

Yesterday's game was the first I've got to and it has left me in two minds about the merits of the new league cup set up. There was a lot of the competitiveness you would expect but the fitness and sharpness are not there yet. It will be interesting to see how the early start impacts on injury lists at the start of the league campaigns.

I think this is why Archie is not rushing back Cerny, Osman and other injured players who are almost ready. Think we might see a bit of a tryout for the likes of McDaid, Syme and Nisbet in the newxt couple fo games. Maybe even see Pogba getting a start. Though if Elliot and Osman are ready they might get run-outs in the last game (though not starting), just for match fitness.

Edited by Mr Bunny

It's time Syme had a chance at RCB.

He had a good pre season. Devine needs a challenge for his place. I counted 4 times when punted the ball beyond the strikers. I suspect he will come good as I have seen positive aspects of play but can Syme do better?

Also, I hope Amoo and Gordon can exist on the same planet as they were not speaking the same language yesterday!

I think this is why Archie is not rushing back Cerny, Osman and other injured players who are almost ready. Think we might see a bit of a tryout for the likes of McDaid, Syme and Nisbet in the newxt couple fo games. Maybe even see Pogba getting a start. Though if Elliot and Osman are ready they might get run-outs in the last game (though not starting), just for match fitness.

It's time Syme had a chance at RCB.

He had a good pre season. Devine needs a challenge for his place. I counted 4 times when punted the ball beyond the strikers. I suspect he will come good as I have seen positive aspects of play but can Syme do better?

Also, I hope Amoo and Gordon can exist on the same planet as they were not speaking the same language yesterday!

Lindsay got a bit of a knock yesterday and Sean Welsh might have bust his nose so I think there will be changes for Tuesday. Think Archie is spot on about Pogba. He was isolated last season but with Erskine back and with us looking far more stronger attacking wise this season, he actually might do a job for us up front. If both Devine and Lindsay are fit, I would rather they play in every game to try and get an understanding going because if we don't manage to get another central defender in, they two are going to be pivotal in how our season pans out!

Have to say first half was fantastic, every single player apart from Ziggy looked to be strolling the game. First 30 mind of second half was completely awful.

Crawford - decent job for 3rd choice goalkeeper

Ziggy Gordon - slow start, but probably one of the best when it mattered at the end

Lindsay & Devine- average with no one controlling defence

Booth - great first half looked tired second half

Lawless - hardly his best game but got the vital goal

Erskine - continued where he left of. Fantastic showing

Welsh - good first half anonymous second half

Wilson - good first half awful second half, couldn't make a pass, wasn't helped by Welsh, wasn't up to physical fight.

Azeez - impress but missed numerous chances, goals will come

Amoo - looked unfit, not his best day

Doolan, Pogba, Edwards - added energy, physical aggression and won us the game.

Why in the second half were our full backs not passing the half way line till Edward's came on I'll never know

Considering Osman, Bannigan, Fraser, Edwards all to come back to full fitness Welsh & Wilson will struggle for starts I believe.

Have to say first half was fantastic, every single player apart from Ziggy looked to be strolling the game. First 30 mind of second half was completely awful.

Crawford - decent job for 3rd choice goalkeeper

Ziggy Gordon - slow start, but probably one of the best when it mattered at the end

Lindsay & Devine- average with no one controlling defence

Booth - great first half looked tired second half

Lawless - hardly his best game but got the vital goal

Erskine - continued where he left of. Fantastic showing

Welsh - good first half anonymous second half

Wilson - good first half awful second half, couldn't make a pass, wasn't helped by Welsh, wasn't up to physical fight.

Azeez - impress but missed numerous chances, goals will come

Amoo - looked unfit, not his best day

Doolan, Pogba, Edwards - added energy, physical aggression and won us the game.

Why in the second half were our full backs not passing the half way line till Edward's came on I'll never know

Considering Osman, Bannigan, Fraser, Edwards all to come back to full fitness Welsh & Wilson will struggle for starts I believe.

Pretty spot on analysis. Sean Welsh seems pivotal to Archies game plan. When everyone is fit, it's going to leave the manager with some difficult choices for the first 11 and that bodes well for us as it shows our squad is very strong.....except in central defence, though I imagine that area will be our last signing till January.

Pretty spot on analysis. Sean Welsh seems pivotal to Archies game plan. When everyone is fit, it's going to leave the manager with some difficult choices for the first 11 and that bodes well for us as it shows our squad is very strong.....except in central defence, though I imagine that area will be our last signing till January.

Think when everyone's fit that Lawless, Erskine, Osman and Bannigan will all be regular starters, so it means Welsh, Amoo and Edwards are probably fighting for one spot.

I'd hope Welsh would only be used in one of the two "defensive" midfield spots, and Edwards only considered in one of the three attacking spots. Given the options we have now, I'd rather not see Welsh, Osman and Bannigan played together as it's too samey.

I think Archie would probably start Erskine, Lawless and Amoo off Doolan or Azeez the first game, but if Amoo is as meh as he was yesterday we might see Edwards slip in.

Only issue with that is that it would probably mean Erskine being moved out to the wings, which I'd rather not see happen. Good options to have though.

Fresh after seeing "Ryan Edwards" playing for Airdrie it now appears Andy Dowie signed for us during the game on Saturday. http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick_thistle/14639611.Partick_Thistle_2__Queen_of_the_South_1__Ziggy_Gordon_believes_the_Jags_are_in_good_shape_to_have_a_great_league_season/

3rd paragraph goes someway to excusing the lack of sportsmanship at the end of the game. the 3rd paragraph from the bottom all but confirms the signing.

Funny thing about Amoo being "meh" on Saturday as has been suggested. Might I suggest he was lacking a bit in confidence because he wasn't fully fit.

Anybody who was at the Morton game , in the first half before he had the argument with one of the posts and did himself a mischief, saw that he was sensational. One of the best performances you are likely to see in a Jags jersey.

I wonder why sometimes he does what we all want him to do and run at opposition defenders and hit great crosses into the box and at other times he seems timid, runs so far and then lays the ball off or , worse, hits it backwards to a defender?

More than anybody there is a huge discrepancy between David at his devastating best and some of his mouse- like performances.

I'm sure, overall he is getting better.

It's early days yet, but I think the team shows a lot of promise. Particularly if we can beat QotS with a lot of players not firing on all cylinders and the amount of injuries we have.

It's tremendous to have Erskine back. Great to watch, hope he's back for good.

Funny thing about Amoo being "meh" on Saturday as has been suggested. Might I suggest he was lacking a bit in confidence because he wasn't fully fit.

I'd hope that would be the case, although he said in an interview that he felt perfectly fine on Saturday.

At his best I would definitely play him alongside Erskine and Lawless off the striker, but he's so up and down that I imagine he'll be in and out the side.

I saw enough on Saturday to leave me feeling optimistic. We are still short of a centre half but we knew that already.

Thought Erskine was outstanding - ran at defenders all day and caused them no end of problems.

Azeez is a raw talent and still finding his feet as a new signing. Ridiculously too early to be writing him off - but then what do you expect from a guy who believes the earth is flat?

Gordon was solid again at RB, needs to find more going forward but his defensive work was excellent.

Pogba came on and changed the game, was involved heavily in both goals. It might well be that he is purely an impact player but that's fine. There will always be occasions when a guy like him will come in useful and Saturday was definitely one of them.

We can go in to these final 2 games knowing that we've already overcame the most difficult obstacle in the group. Hopefully on Tuesday and Saturday we'll see a few goals and the players will be full of confidence going in to the Inverness game.

• Like 1

Fresh after seeing "Ryan Edwards" playing for Airdrie it now appears Andy Dowie signed for us during the game on Saturday. http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick_thistle/14639611.Partick_Thistle_2__Queen_of_the_South_1__Ziggy_Gordon_believes_the_Jags_are_in_good_shape_to_have_a_great_league_season/

3rd paragraph goes someway to excusing the lack of sportsmanship at the end of the game. the 3rd paragraph from the bottom all but confirms the signing.

It is a pity he only rates 1 to 25 though.

It's tremendous to have Erskine back. Great to watch, hope he's back for good.

Well with a three year contract in his sky rocket, it's going to be a while before he considers leaving again. It's great to see one of our midfielders running at defenders and putting them under pressure. Exactly what we lacked last year!

Edited by Lindau