Flags Out For Engurlund

Blackpool Jags

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whose national representatives? I'm not opposed to Scots cheering on the English, but please don't patronise us by suggesting they carry the hopes and dreams of any other nation state other than England on their shoulders.

scotland is not an soverign nation state. Maybe if our culture of nationalism was built on something of more substance than supporting a shortbread advert football team we could call ourselves that.

And England is a sovereign state? Are the sovereigns not British? (OK so we all know they are Germans).

I can think of no particular reason why I should support England, apart from the fact I live there for more than 20 years, I hope they do OK but not too well! I don't owe any sense of loyalty, clearly there is not great love lost for Scots in England, thats one of the main reasons behind the press campaign to get rid of Brown, didn't want a Scot running what is regarded as the English Parliament, especially when his seat is in Scotland with its own devolved Parliament! So why should I care about England?

Clearly this time round I am supporting Australia!

england are the sole team from the soverign nation state of the united kingdom. as we are all part of this state we aught to give the argument of supporting them seriously.

The more I hear people telling me that I SHOULD support Engerlund, the more I hope they get absolutely embarrassed in every match they play.

ABE OK!

The more I hear people telling me that I SHOULD support Engerlund, the more I hope they get absolutely embarrassed in every match they play.

ACBE OK!

Sorted that wee bit. :thumbsup2:

Totally agree about the indignity of being told who you ought to support. The reason I became a Jag, about 8,000 years ago, was because I refused daily 'advice' about who I ought to support. I'm Maryhill born and bred, developed an intense and irreversible love affair with my local club and, fortunately, was able to make my own mind up thank you very much.

ACBE. FTOF.

Sorted that wee bit. :thumbsup2:

Totally agree about the indignity of being told who you ought to support. The reason I became a Jag, about 8,000 years ago, was because I refused daily 'advice' about who I ought to support. I'm Maryhill born and bred, developed an intense and irreversible love affair with my local club and, fortunately, was able to make my own mind up thank you very much.

ACBE. FTOF.

Excellent post.

Ignoring all the stuff about England for a second, personally I find the "oh God, do you see what the English are doing NOW?????" types just as annoying. Scots whining about the English going on about 66 is just as annoying as the English going on about 66. We'd be just as insufferable if we'd won it (hell, we still mention 67 every time we can).

Anyone watch "World Cup's Most Shocking Moments" on BBC 3 this week? Naturally there was the cheating Argentines scoring with their hands and getting Becks sent off, there was also plenty of complaints about the German play acting.

Yet one of the 'most shocking moments' was why none of the England players fouled Maradona when he skinned their whole team and scored the best goal ever in 1988. Oh and there was praise indeed for Michael Owen diving against the Argentinians twice in 2002 and of course Gary Lineker falling over in the box twice against Cameroon at Italia 90.

Apart from the usual Rivaldo/Zidane stuff there was also plenty of jokes about Ireland's team being an 'England Reject XI' and Scotland being all round terrible.

And they wonder why none of us want them to win it.

You never have to look very hard for reasons to want them to get pumped. During the build up to this world cup i was beginning to get very indifferent to England's participation.

Normally i'd be getting fear sweats already that they might win it, but i'd actually started to think that i wasn't really that bothered.

I then listened to Talksport and they were going over the great world cup goals. All the normal england goals got the mention then someone brought up Archie Gemmill's effort. This was of course dismissed as it didn't really count as we didn;t go through. The conversation finished with Gareth Southgate saying, and i quote, "i suppose it was a good goal, but as you say it didn't really matter as thankfully they didn't score enough to go through".

If the English broadcasters cannot even begin to show the slightest hint of even wanting Scotland to do well on a radio show broadcast to the whole of the UK, why should i give two flying fecks about them.

Needless to say that after that, i was back to wanting them to get pumped at every given opporunity.

england are the sole team from the soverign nation state of the united kingdom. as we are all part of this state we aught to give the argument of supporting them seriously.

If a UK or British team participates in any sport, I support them.

The team playing in the Football World Cup, however, is representing England. I am not English. I will not support them. The best I can aspire to is to be indifferent to their results.

Similarly, I doubt if many Belgians will be supporting France or Austrians will be supporting Germany, despite their geographical proximity.

Anyone watch "World Cup's Most Shocking Moments" on BBC 3 this week? Naturally there was the cheating Argentines scoring with their hands and getting Becks sent off, there was also plenty of complaints about the German play acting.

Yet one of the 'most shocking moments' was why none of the England players fouled Maradona when he skinned their whole team and scored the best goal ever in 1988. Oh and there was praise indeed for Michael Owen diving against the Argentinians twice in 2002 and of course Gary Lineker falling over in the box twice against Cameroon at Italia 90.

Apart from the usual Rivaldo/Zidane stuff there was also plenty of jokes about Ireland's team being an 'England Reject XI' and Scotland being all round terrible.

Can't say that I noticed any difference in how they approached the events that benefitted or hindered England.

They were very critical about Owen's diving and Crouch's hair-pulling exploits. The Scottish "comedian" they had in as one of the talking heads was more guilty of dissing Scotland than anyone else.

I was most surprised by just how bitter Peter Shilton came across. At least Seaman appears to have got over his misfortunes.

Can't say that I noticed any difference in how they approached the events that benefitted or hindered England.

They were very critical about Owen's diving and Crouch's hair-pulling exploits. The Scottish "comedian" they had in as one of the talking heads was more guilty of dissing Scotland than anyone else.

I was most surprised by just how bitter Peter Shilton came across. At least Seaman appears to have got over his misfortunes.

You don't see the hypocricy in criticising cheats whilst advocating someone chopping Maradona to stop him scoring his goal?

The programme was absolute garbage in every respect apart from Peter Crouch who actually came across like a reasonably funny guy despite being alongside Richard Bacon.

You don't see the hypocricy in criticising cheats whilst advocating someone chopping Maradona to stop him scoring his goal?

The programme was absolute garbage in every respect apart from Peter Crouch who actually came across like a reasonably funny guy despite being alongside Richard Bacon.

Of course I can see the hypocrisy in that example. My point was that the cheats they were criticising appeared to get equal measure regardless of who they were representing.

I started to watch the programme expecting to switch off after 10 minutes of pro-England bias. As previously mentioned, any England player who deserved criticism got it, including Lineker, Shilton, Seaman, Crouch, Owen and their various penalty villains.

Maybe I've been desensitised over the years, but this programme actually appeared to be fairly balanced despite its host and contributors.

At least Seaman appears to have got over his misfortunes.

Can't fault him: always liked a keeper with a bit of spunk. Heard him ejaculate on the radio the other day; great stuff. Often England were exposed, but it was jis'm standing between them and defeat: it was like custard's last stand.

Only time that he stained his record was when that German midfielder Kuntz was beavering away down the wing coming straight at him.

Yeh, allright, just TOO easy - but a guy:

* called "Seaman";

* with a quite awful 80' 'tash;

* who was an Engerland keeper?

...sorry, can't let that one pass. If Ray Clemence was called "Ray Belendah" or something equally rude-jokable he'd get it too.

Hmm, Chris Woods; there are possibilities there....

I think the TV commentators are as representative of English opinion as the likes of James Traynor and Chic Young are of our opinion.

Most English people over 10 are realistic about England's chances: Quarter finals and semis if lucky or can overcome penalty curse. In fact I was chatting with Mark Pougatch last week (seriously, he lives in the same vilage as me) and that was his opinion too.

And for all that these St George's flags are tacky, it's a hundred times better than when they flew Union Flags.

I think people who moan about us moaning about them are taking things too seriously. I think theres a lot of people like me who dont hold anything against any individuals who are English but just see the whole slagging England off thing as a bit of banter. Being honest I want them to get gubbed and I've felt that way for so long I cant remember why but its just a laugh to me. If they won it I'd be pi*sed off only because we'd have to listen to them banging on about it for another 44 years. :sleep1:

Slightly off topic but its about time some savvy sportwear manufacturers came up with a world cup saver, you buy a 3 in 1 Englands opponents T shirt with the 3 lots of colours included in one T shirt so you dont need to buy seperate America Algeria and Slovenia tops. Just an idea my mate had the other day.