Four Year Ago Today

lady-isobel-barnett

10th Nov 2012. Thistle 5-1 Dunfermline

This to me is one of the stand out games of recent years. I don't remember being too confident going into the match. I got drenched between the Star & Garter and the ground and that irrationally seemed to dampen some of my optimism. We'd hit the ground running back in August catching the Pars cold, winning 1-0, but they were still strongly fancied in not just this game but to win the League itself.

Apart from the score and display there was quite a lot happening to note. A bumper crowd of about 5300 turned up. Tho' the formation remained the same there were a couple of positional changes with Aero going to right back and SOD moving forward to play wide right. Our first substitution was a forced one when Fox got injured in the second half and Scully replaced him. And (tho' we didn't know it at the time) both irony and significance of the first three names on the Pars team sheet, Gallacher, McMillan & Dowie.

Lawless scored a couple of fine goals, as did Balatoni, but I'm sure everyone would agree the best goals came from SOD and Forbes. Both goals were of quality and I can mind folk on here were split as to which was the better. I've always favoured SOD's but Forbes's was incredibly well struck. No problem back then with quality corners and shooting on sight.

On reflection I'd say this was McNamara's finest hour (and a half). In true Thistle fashion we lost the following week away to Accies. But then again winning away from home wasn't exactly our strong point under McM. With Pars collapse on and off the field that season the match wasn't the six pointer we thought it was at the time. Just 3 more points on our way to 47 of a possible 54 points at Fortress Firhill.

Looking back on that season the title clinching games towards the end of the season naturally spring to mind first but without doubt this match holds my fondest memories.

• Like 3

It was my first game of the season and I'd gone (as I always do) with hope rather than expectation. I remember thinking "what sort of strange formation is he creating, but when we started, it was obvious that we were well up for the game. I also remember driving home and thinking that Dunfermline hadn't played that badly.

For me, the SOD goal is one of, if not the best ever scored at Firhill

One of my favourite ever games at Firhill...far too often Thistle have failed dismally in crucial League & Cup at home so it was particularly good to see us play very well against a side who were genuine promotion contenders at that time...it was a mark of the quality of our performance that arch moaner, Jim Jeffries, possibly for the only time in his career conceded that the opposition were outstanding.

Thumping strike from Ross Forbes and a tremendous goal from Stephen O'Donnell.

Good memories!

Out of the two great goals, SOD's was by far the better... apart from Forbes's. :happy2::fan:

Watched it from the JH that day, having been in the NS for each of my other visits. When they equalised, I thought I'd cursed us.

Totally agree that SOD and Forbes goals more likely to win a goal of the season contest divorced from the competitive context of the goal in question.

But for me in the North Stand directly in line with Conrad's header that had to be the best goal in terms of the most vital and most celebrated at the time. We had made a lightning start and looked really up for it. Then as you rightly mention, we lost that horribly soft and messy own goal. That could so easily have sucked all the wind from the sails. So when Conrad met the ball from the corner with the meat of his forehead and powered it into the roof of the net, it was a dominating statement of intent with transformative psychological effect (please forgive the hyperbole!). Dunfermline never recovered form that blow. The Thistle team and support were encouraged and spurred on and (apart from some temporary trouble with away games and Morton!) never looked back.

So Conrad's goal is still my favourite memory of the game, although I can understand why others would think differently. We are somewhat spoiled for choice as regards that particular game.

• Like 1

Totally agree that SOD and Forbes goals more likely to win a goal of the season contest divorced from the competitive context of the goal in question.

But for me in the North Stand directly in line with Conrad's header that had to be the best goal in terms of the most vital and most celebrated at the time. We had made a lightning start and looked really up for it. Then as you rightly mention, we lost that horribly soft and messy own goal. That could so easily have sucked all the wind from the sails. So when Conrad met the ball from the corner with the meat of his forehead and powered it into the roof of the net, it was a dominating statement of intent with transformative psychological effect (please forgive the hyperbole!). Dunfermline never recovered form that blow. The Thistle team and support were encouraged and spurred on and (apart from some temporary trouble with away games and Morton!) never looked back.

So Conrad's goal is still my favourite memory of the game, although I can understand why others would think differently. We are somewhat spoiled for choice as regards that particular game.

Hyperbole very much forgiven.

Quite simply, a tremendous afternoon to be a Thistle fan.

It was also the first time the team had played in red and yellow all season and it just great to see us back in our proper colours once again.

The atmosphere in the North Stand was just incredible that day. O'Donnel's goal is for me the best I've ever seen at Firhill, as was the celebration that followed.

At one point in the 2nd half with the score at 5-1, and Dunfermline not having had a touch of the ball for what seemed like a full 10 minutes, the North Stand started singing "We're Partick Thistle, we're taking the piss".

Tremendous memories.

• Like 2

Quite simply, a tremendous afternoon to be a Thistle fan.

It was also the first time the team had played in red and yellow all season and it just great to see us back in our proper colours once again.

The atmosphere in the North Stand was just incredible that day. O'Donnel's goal is for me the best I've ever seen at Firhill, as was the celebration that followed.

At one point in the 2nd half with the score at 5-1, and Dunfermline not having had a touch of the ball for what seemed like a full 10 minutes, the North Stand started singing "We're Partick Thistle, we're taking the piss".

Tremendous memories.

At that point one of their players took a wild swipe at a Jag. Sure I have the "taking the piss" video on my phone.

On a similar vein, who was the Airdrie sub we spent an hour ripping into, really getting under his skin... 5 minutes on the park and he'd seen red!