Bloody Ridicolous!

Pinhead

Agree it's just nonsense. No need for change. If pushed would probably go along with a combined age thingy. If your development side is particularly young you could field overage players. That tho' would likely mean being able to select a player in his early twenties.

The only rule change from last season I wanted to see was doing away with extra time and going straight to penalties. I believe playing an extra 30 mins is too much to ask of teenagers up against senior players.

They are only talking about 2 players - not a whole team.

It is obviously speculation, but I don't think 2 mentors in the Celtic team vs Livingston would have been enough to turn round a 5-1 deficit

I don't think is a terrible idea - the danger would be if something else changed in the future

They are only talking about 2 players - not a whole team.

It is obviously speculation, but I don't think 2 mentors in the Celtic team vs Livingston would have been enough to turn round a 5-1 deficit

I don't think is a terrible idea - the danger would be if something else changed in the future

Over age players are allowed and commonplace in the Development League. Celtic U20s probably come up against experienced players all the time. Our lads played against the Pars last season in a game that Higgy, Cardle, Murdoch and Moffat all started. We played sevco U20s who fielded Senderos, Wilson & Forrester. My point being that the youngsters play alongside "mentors" or against "mentors" all the time

I think we know why top league U20s have been introduced to the Challenge Cup and that's got little to do with enhancing that particular trophy. By playing two over-agers increases the chances of two clubs in particular progressing in the tournament. Relative success increases the possibility of what it's really all about coming to fruition.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Over age players are allowed and commonplace in the Development League. Celtic U20s probably come up against experienced players all the time. Our lads played against the Pars last season in a game that Higgy, Cardle, Murdoch and Moffat all started. We played sevco U20s who fielded Senderos, Wilson & Forrester. My point being that the youngsters play alongside "mentors" or against "mentors" all the time

I think we know why top league U20s have been introduced to the Challenge Cup and that's got little to do with enhancing that particular trophy. By playing two over-agers increases the chances of two clubs in particular progressing in the tournament. Relative success increases the possibility of what it's really all about coming to fruition.

That's a good argument for not changing as you say. How many overage players are allowed in the Developement league ? However, I would say that there is a bit of a difference playing against 11 senior players as opposed to 2.

I am also failing to see where the prestige is in a Colts team winning the competition. It wouldn't get any UK wide publicity. Even last night there were no updates on the Sky sports news app.

Lets be realistic. Although the likes of Griffiths, Dorrans etc could play, they are not going to be risked for the likes of this diddy cup. Where it would be useful, especially for clubs like us, is to be able to get players match fit if they have had an injury, or missed pre-season. For instance, Nitriansky, Turnbull and Keown might like an extra match, or Fraser/Muzzy when they have recovered a bit, or let Nisbet have a game to build his confidence. I don't actually think that this will have a major impact on the tournament as a whole.

• Like 1

That's a good argument for not changing as you say. How many overage players are allowed in the Developement league ? However, I would say that there is a bit of a difference playing against 11 senior players as opposed to 2.

I am also failing to see where the prestige is in a Colts team winning the competition. It wouldn't get any UK wide publicity. Even last night there were no updates on the Sky sports news app.

Sorry, Lenziejag, perhaps my comments were a trifle cryptic. What I was insinuating is that the entire concept of having U20s in the Challenge Cup is simply a vehicle for allowing/introducing two clubs' 2nd string teams into the SPFL leagues. We all know which two clubs, and last season's 1-5 result didn't exactly help promote extending the leagues to include B teams. So bring in a couple of "mentors" and the chances of that outcome are greatly increased.

Hell of a coincidence that nobody in 20 odd years has ever promoted the introduction of development sides but shortly after the idea of B teams playing in the leagues was first mooted......Need I go on?

• Like 1

Sorry, Lenziejag, perhaps my comments were a trifle cryptic. What I was insinuating is that the entire concept of having U20s in the Challenge Cup is simply a vehicle for allowing/introducing two clubs' 2nd string teams into the SPFL leagues. We all know which two clubs, and last season's 1-5 result didn't exactly help promote extending the leagues to include B teams. So bring in a couple of "mentors" and the chances of that outcome are greatly increased.

Hell of a coincidence that nobody in 20 odd years has ever promoted the introduction of development sides but shortly after the idea of B teams playing in the leagues was first mooted......Need I go on?

It isn't a unique concept to have 2nd string teams in the lower leagues. Would it not be the 42 clubs that vote for this and if they have no backbone to oppose it, they only have themselves to blame.

• Like 1