Old Firm Seating Arrangements

Knightswood Jag

What is the best seating arrangement for Old Firm games?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best seating arrangement for Old Firm games?

• Put OF in North Stand with Thistle fans in Colin Weir and Jackie Husband Stand
    • Put OF in Jackie Husband and have Thistle fans in the Colin Weir and North Stand
    • Segregate Jackie Husband into the OF half and the Thistle half then give Thistle fans the rest of the ground
    • Give OF Jackie Husband and North Stand and house Thistle fans in the Colin Weir
    • Thistle fans in Jackie Husband, North and half of the Colin Weir Stand

as per allyo above...

how many forum pages to we need to keep moaning about the same thing...?

for the cup games are we allowed use the enclosure in the Colin Weir Stand - if so, give the OF the JHS & North Stand - ££££££££££ - with our current core support we would be able to fit in the CWS no problem.

If my memory serves me correctly we did this for a Glasgow Cup Final many moons ago v Rangers - I think we won too... :clapping: :clapping:

I appreciate the thinking behind this but don't think it'll work for the stand in question unless it was understood that tickets weren't for designated seats. One of the problems with the Colin Weir Stand is restricted view. One seat is fine, a few seats along you're straining your neck to see both goals. Must cause problems if you're in a group. I tend to get into the ground kinda early (the pub ain't much fun when we play either arse cheek) but even then there's good bit jockeying about to get a decent view. Think if I turned up anything after 20 mins to the KO I'd prefer the North Stand.

The current arrangement is about Thistle supporters enduring a little inconvenience in order for the club to gain financial advantage. The question is really about how far are the Thistle support prepared to accept inconvenience before we say enough.

Let's face it in a few weeks time we will again be confronted with the inconvenience of a Friday night game, with the added inconvenience of having to relocate to another area of the stadium. And four days later we will be asked to do pretty much the same again. And this time pay because the game concerned is not covered by the Season Ticket cost. Is my allegiance presumed? Or will the club see fit to incentivise me in some sort of way? Or do I just go down the local boozer and watch it on their BT link?

• Like 1

I don't think we can argue about the current situation for the league games. The argument here relates to the cup game.

To give them the JHS AND NS we would be as well move the game to Ibrox and call it our 'home' game. We would make even more off that. While were at it we can forget about the semi final. No wonder we cant shake this cuddly toy image. The only chance this club have of winning something is one of the cups. This is the boards (and Archie's) chance to show how serious we are about doing well in the cups, and that no more will we be considered a 'diddy' team. We are a top flight team ffs and at the end of the day is only 3 games of football to lift a trophy. This game was never budgeted for either which should make this decision easier.

As SITB says, for a 1/4 final we should be able to attract a bigger home crowd than for a standard league game.

Dont give up our dreams an aspirations for a few quid.

• Like 1

The last Celtic game, the club advertised the Main Stand as sold out. Now clearly there were empty seats. Most likely due to the large amount of restricted view seats. So the very notion that the home support could be housed in the Main Stand only, is not possible.

BB has answered why it could possibly be deemed as sold out. In fact turn it on its head even if there was more demand from Jags fans both the Main Stand and North Stand can't ever be sold out at the same time for an OF league game. If say we've 2000 ST holders and the combined capacity of both stands is say 3000, the Club can only sell 1000 tickets, even tho' they know many ST holders won't turn up. MMCF asks the question if his loyalty is being tested and I remark that selling STs must be considered a harder sell given these OF games.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

There is a further, radical option which has been missed and goes to the heart of maximising income on these occasions. Thistle fans in one stand only. The rest of the ground is ticketed to visiting fans. My understanding is that this would be the Colin Weir Stand because we have a hospitality commitment. It would then be limited opportunity for Thistle Season Ticket holders to actively take up their tickets and after that a general sale.

In this way you maximise the sales and income from visiting fans and you put a (psychological, not financial) premium with Thistle fans having a ticket for these events. You effectively turn the stadium into an away game environment and, hopefully, those committed to supporting the Jags at that event will generate maximum ("let's make some) noise"

In this scenario would ST holders get a refund if they didn't take up the limited time offer. Although I am not against being moved from the JHS for these games - I think making us decide early whether to go or not is a step too far.

as per allyo above...

how many forum pages to we need to keep moaning about the same thing...?

for the cup games are we allowed use the enclosure in the Colin Weir Stand - if so, give the OF the JHS & North Stand - ££££££££££ - with our current core support we would be able to fit in the CWS no problem.

If my memory serves me correctly we did this for a Glasgow Cup Final many moons ago v Rangers - I think we won too... :clapping: :clapping:

How many does the Colin Weir hold?

For the last few years, there has always been an announcement at every game at Firhill of the attendance, with a note of the number of visiting fans...it makes the calculation of the home support simple...it's usually around 2,000 to 2,500 which is a disappointing amount considering the relative success of the team in recent seasons.

Did they announce the attendance/visiting support on Friday or does anyone know the number of Thistle fans who were there? The club will certainly have this information. It would be interesting to find out if the turn out of Thistle Fans for Old Firm games at Firhill is lower than for any other League Game throughout the season.

I tend not to go to games against the Old Firm for a variety of reasons including having to get a ticket in advance, unsuitable kick-off times, being evicted from the Jackie Husband Stand, not wanting to listen to the IRA/Billy Boys sh*te and referees being scared to give decisions against them. A few years ago, I bought a 3 game package which included the New Year game against Celtic - it was postponed and I didn't go to the re-arranged match so I can entirely understand why Season Ticket Holders feel they are not getting value for money...or loyalty.

The JH is around 6200, the North Stand just a few seats over 2000, and as mentioned, the Colin Weir is up somewhere near 3000.

However, taking into account the "official" capacity of Firhill is 10102 (that's the figure that seems to be everywhere when you search for it), we've got a lot of seats not being made available, as those figures above total over 11000. I would guess most of them are in the Main Stand (unless they're counting the first section in the North which is now covered in tarp), so it seems like the actual capacity of the Main is somewhere closer to 2000.

Edited by Roque

Possibly an unpopular approach is to give away as many seats as possible. In today's game, finances play a much bigger part in football. Evidently, it is important the club maximises revenue, albeit at the expense of the loyal supporters.

I think an interesting question would be... If only the North Stand had Celtic fans on Friday night and the JH was full of Jags, would we get the penalty? If you believe the answer to be yes, then I think there is an argument for changing the arrangements. If you think Celtic and Rangers have an elitist position in Scottish football then we should continue trying to milk the pot dry and produce the goods versus financially similar opposition.