The Dangers Associated With A 'white Knight'

And the benefits of a white knight would be? Just curious. I'm sure there are some. It would depend upon that person's commitment to the club.

Depends on how you define 'white knight' (and your commitment comment would come into that). Things is, down the years guys have come into clubs, apparently spending their money to improve the club, but when the guy goes it turns out all he was doing was spending the clubs money (racking up debt) including a hefty fee for himself.

Doesn't just happen to wee clubs like ourlselves, look at Man U -- OK still a big club but slipping further and further behind Chelsea.

No change to his funding yet he wants to leave the club?

So he's happy to blindly plough his cash into the club and have no say in how they spend it?

I'd find that very surprising from a guy who, from what I gather from posts above, isn't a Dundee fan.

Melville maybe looks on the cash he puts into Dens as loose change. Perhaps he's got a puppet on the board?

That said I wouldn't be surprised to see his name pop up on some future date when Aberdeen FC is getting a mention.

Cant imagine there would be many upset jags fans if Melville switched his interest to us and pumped in £1.5 million. Bit of a difference there, in comparison to the manager being given buttons to spend and having to constantly look at junior players and has been said before, it wouldnt be club money he would be spending, because just in case no one has heard, seemingly we aint got any!!!

Edited by Lindau

Cant imagine there would be many upset jags fans if Melville switched his interest to us and pumped in £1.5 million. Bit of a difference there, in comparison to the manager being given buttons to spend and having to constantly look at junior players and has been said before, it wouldnt be club money he would be spending, because just in case no one has heard, seemingly we aint got any!!!

That always

seems to be the case. I have to say, however, that no club in Scotland so often, so enthusiastically and so vociferously flaunts its 'poverty'. It really begins to grate and has become positively embarrassing! Trying to look it it objectively I see that we start the season with (supposedly) £100,000 from SRU. Last season we started with windfall of nearly £200,000 from transfers into the bargain, which meant c£300,000 in the kitty before selling even a single seson ticket. Add to that the fact that we appear to pay our players considerably less than our main competitors in our division. Many a club treasurer would, I am sure give his right arm to be in such a position. Surely the rest don't ALL depend on 'white Knights'? I am just an ordinary supporter with neither the time or energy to get involved in the politics of how the club is run - Propco or whatever it is called is over my head. All I want to see is PTFC being able to put a decent team on the park and I'll support anything which can lead to that happy situation. I'm always optimistic by nature, but the decline in the team is a major cause for concern I'm afraid that if we end up in Division 2 again I will not, after nearly 60 years going along Saturday by Saturday be there to witness football of a standard not much better than the top 'Junior' clubs can offer.

That always

seems to be the case. I have to say, however, that no club in Scotland so often, so enthusiastically and so vociferously flaunts its 'poverty'. It really begins to grate and has become positively embarrassing! Trying to look it it objectively I see that we start the season with (supposedly) £100,000 from SRU. Last season we started with windfall of nearly £200,000 from transfers into the bargain, which meant c£300,000 in the kitty before selling even a single seson ticket. Add to that the fact that we appear to pay our players considerably less than our main competitors in our division. Many a club treasurer would, I am sure give his right arm to be in such a position. Surely the rest don't ALL depend on 'white Knights'? I am just an ordinary supporter with neither the time or energy to get involved in the politics of how the club is run - Propco or whatever it is called is over my head. All I want to see is PTFC being able to put a decent team on the park and I'll support anything which can lead to that happy situation. I'm always optimistic by nature, but the decline in the team is a major cause for concern I'm afraid that if we end up in Division 2 again I will not, after nearly 60 years going along Saturday by Saturday be there to witness football of a standard not much better than the top 'Junior' clubs can offer.

With rumoured debts of £1.5m it doesnt take a scientist to work out where the majority of the £300,000 would go

No surprises there. Just why are you against multi millionaires investing money in a club that is basically bankrupt??

It should be easy enough to work that out for yourself.

History is littered with fly-by-night 'investors' who appear to have clubs' best intentions at heart only to scarper leaving them in a worse state than they were already in.

Having a good business brain doesn't automatically equate to having a good football business brain.

Mone, Melville? No thanks.

As Mr Heron rightly stated we need to club together to create a viable and sustainable solution to the club's problems.

That doesn't involve us becoming dependant on some mega-bucks media whore whose goodwill will run dry at the first sign of trouble.

Edited by The Incredible Adam Spark

It should be easy enough to work that out for yourself.

History is littered with fly-by-night 'investors' who appear to have clubs' best intentions at heart only to scarper leaving them in a worse state than they were already in.

Having a good business brain doesn't automatically equate to having a good football business brain.

Mone, Melville? No thanks.

As Mr Heron rightly stated we need to club together to create a viable and sustainable solution to the club's problems.

That doesn't involve us becoming dependant on some mega-bucks media whore whose goodwill will run dry at the first sign of trouble.

Good post.

Clubs' futures are safeguarded when they are self-sufficient, through use of their facilities, advertising revenue and gate income to cover their expenses. Having a Melville of this world compounds the problem of dependency.

The only example in Scottish football where a backer has had a veneer of sustainability would probably be Geoff Brown at St Johnstone. Even then, he sold Muirfield to Tesco way back when there was a property boom (rather than what we have now) and despite making annual surpluses occasionally in the First Division, St Johnstone LOST £200k the year they were promoted. For all the words of not chasing rainbows has an ironic context in Thistle's situation, sitting about waiting for rainbows to save you and hoping it carries on raining through the sunshine if and when they arrive is not a lasting solution.