Thistle And Boys Brigade

Woodstock Jag

Played for the 197 (church on the slope, just off Wilton St.) against the 10th in a cup final at Cadder in 1968 (?) and scored the only goal of the first half. :)

Second half, we conceded (appropriately enough) TEN goals without reply. :(

I was in that team from the 10th.Mind you I couldn't remember the score. Our BB captain was Murdy Fletcher a great guy and a Jag through and through.

Those red ash pitches are still there and in a hell of a delapitated state.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played for the 197 (church on the slope, just off Wilton St.) against the 10th in a cup final at Cadder in 1968 (?) and scored the only goal of the first half. :)

Second half, we conceded (appropriately enough) TEN goals without reply. :(

Cadder in Bishy? I can't remember a pitch there. There was/is one opposite Bishy sports centre.

I was in 175th Glasgow Scouts but also played footy for Catholic scouts up the road.

There was a stunning local Catholic girl that I missed out on because I thought wrongly that she was out of my league!

All my interest in uniformed youth organisations went straight out the window after I was drummed out of the Hitler Youth in '44 for not polishing my jackboots.

I bumped into an old comrade last week. He was dressed all in white, but then he always was a bit of a poseur. Damned if I can remember his name though.

Hitler Youth? Surely you mean the Young Glasgow Rangers Supporters' Association? And the bloke in white you were probably talking to was the ghost of Hermann Goring ...

Edited by BearsdenLoyal

All my interest in uniformed youth organisations went straight out the window after I was drummed out of the Hitler Youth in '44 for not polishing my jackboots.

Imagine my surprise, having not seen anyone from old Wolfpack 66 for decades, when I bumped into an old comrade last week in Glasgow's southside! He's done rather well for himself; bit of a jetsetter now. He was dressed all in white, but then he always was a bit of a poseur. He refused my invite to the next Jags game due to work commitments but he says he still feels that Firhill is his spiritual home and that I should pass on his blessings, (whatever that means) to everyone connected with the club.

Damned if I can remember his name, though. I must be getting old.

:lol: Just a bit unsubtle.

1st Bearsden for me from JBB right up to officer, our JBB had 3 teams. My main memory as goalkeeper in the 2nd team was playing on full sized pitches (Thorn Park anyone?) We were so wee corners had to be taken from the junction of the 18 yarde box & goal line & goalies were easy to lob!!

Yep, 1st Bearsden for me too. Thorn Park (2nd pitch) was our home ground. Norrie Darroch was our trainer/manager late 1960s. We won the league in 1968, I think. Great memories.

Edited by BearsdenLoyal

Cadder in Bishy? I can't remember a pitch there. There was/is one opposite Bishy sports centre.

I was in 175th Glasgow Scouts but also played footy for Catholic scouts up the road.

There was a stunning local Catholic girl that I missed out on because I thought wrongly that she was out of my league!

No Cadder in Maryhill about a mile or so up from Lochburn Park

2nd Bearsden for me too, although we were bottom of the league regulars in my day, and I was usually only on the bench 

We were bottom cause we were playin at the same time :thinking: plenty of Jags in our company at the time though, good times but don't miss gettin leathers in the thigh on a freezin winter morning with a size 5 mitre mouldmaster

It's very sad and old firm-ish that this topic has some posts that are hinting at religious or political prejudice. For me, Firhill has been a happy oasis away from the every day divisions in our city. By following the the Jags I pledge allegiance to the red black and yellow in the hope of one thing, rejoicing in my team's success.

For the record the B.B. is, as far as I am aware, still a Christian organisation predominantly associated with the Church of Scotland. However, the company I was in welcomed boys of several religious backgrounds to their number. My best friend for the majority of my time in the company was a Roman Catholic who was the fourth brother to join from the same family. Two of his brothers were officers or leaders. We also had boys enjoy the activities the B.B. offered from the Sikh and Muslim faiths. Another wee guy, who shone in one of our football teams, almost single handedly winning the league, was a refugee from Indonesia who thought us all pansies for playin with trainers on.

I hope that this new partnership, allowing not only the boys but, quite deservedly, those leaders who voluntarily give their own time to the recreation of our communities' youth, free entry to Firhill, will be the first of many with youth organisations from any faith or spiritual beleif that teach there is more to life than a bottle of buckie up the graveyard.

I'm really encouraged by the community projects being pushed by the Trust. Our club really needs to reach out and support others if it is to gain favour in return. This partnership is an excellent example of how the club can "put something back" and raise it's public profile.

Let's keep Firhill a place where all are welcome to support a football team and leave the snyde sectarianism and sceptical politics to the experts elsewhere in the city.

Where did you guys play and more to the point was it ash or grass? We had a splendid grass pitch.

Home ground was King George 5th park, pretty decent pitches apart from the bare goalmouths. When I played 2nd BB's home was next to the Wessy bridge?

Were you quite a small goalkeeper? I do remember a game against 2nd BB and I think we were beaten about 5-2 or something ridiculous and the centre half in our team (quite a big lad) punted the ball from our own half and lobbed the goalie.

I remember that pith being quite box-like and yet still had full size goals.

I played a lot of games in goals and it was murder! I don't think I could jump and touch the crossbar.

It's very sad and old firm-ish that this topic has some posts that are hinting at religious or political prejudice. For me, Firhill has been a happy oasis away from the every day divisions in our city. By following the the Jags I pledge allegiance to the red black and yellow in the hope of one thing, rejoicing in my team's success.

For the record the B.B. is, as far as I am aware, still a Christian organisation predominantly associated with the Church of Scotland. However, the company I was in welcomed boys of several religious backgrounds to their number. My best friend for the majority of my time in the company was a Roman Catholic who was the fourth brother to join from the same family. Two of his brothers were officers or leaders. We also had boys enjoy the activities the B.B. offered from the Sikh and Muslim faiths. Another wee guy, who shone in one of our football teams, almost single handedly winning the league, was a refugee from Indonesia who thought us all pansies for playin with trainers on.

I hope that this new partnership, allowing not only the boys but, quite deservedly, those leaders who voluntarily give their own time to the recreation of our communities' youth, free entry to Firhill, will be the first of many with youth organisations from any faith or spiritual beleif that teach there is more to life than a bottle of buckie up the graveyard.

I'm really encouraged by the community projects being pushed by the Trust. Our club really needs to reach out and support others if it is to gain favour in return. This partnership is an excellent example of how the club can "put something back" and raise it's public profile.

Let's keep Firhill a place where all are welcome to support a football team and leave the snyde sectarianism and sceptical politics to the experts elsewhere in the city.

:thumbsup2:

I've deliberatly kept away from this topic because i do not want to be seen to be putting a dampener on things. However, I've been provoked by all this talk of the percieved history of boys brigade being an organisation for protestants. You have shared your positive experience of relgious inclusion. Now let me tell you mine.

I come from an irish catholic background and most of the kids i played with in my street went to the nondom school and supported rangers. They also went to the BB. Sounded like fun, asked if i could go along. Pals told me i couldnt because i was a catholic (this was literally the first time i experienced sectarianism). I decided not to bother if my pals were putting barriers up for me based on relgious sectarianism didnt seem worthwhile to prove whether it be true or not by the organisation - i would already be an outsider. Now whether or not BB are inclusive or not - there is certainly the widespread perception amongst people that there is a sectarian strand in there - certainly the BB was used as a means by my sectarian pals to differentiate themselves from me. It is also institutionally linked to the church of scotland as stated earlier.

Reading the anecdotes by all poeple above about their experiences in the BB vis a vis my very different life experience shows to me that there really is a cultural divide amongst scottish protestants and irish catholics that persists to this day that goes beyond the usual celtic rangers dichotomy. I do think anecdotally amongst the thistle support that people from an irish catholic background are in a minority. Whilst the jags support is undoubtadly against the sectarianism of the old firm - there is defiantely a scottish protestant culture that is the norm.

Anyway, i digress,

Now, from the above one would probably think i think this is a bad move. Au contriare - I think this is a good move on behalf of ptfc. However, once you get involved with relgious organisiations you have to get involved with em all lest you be open to the charge of partiality. Hence as a community worker, i've tended to try and avoid working with relgious organisations that have a missonary element to the work that they undertake - too much work involved in getting involved with every relgious strand haha.

The BB are a big part of glasgow culture so they shuold be worked with, now lets look for other ones masjids, gaelic football, whatever. :)

Edited by mrD

All this BB = Prods and Scouts = Tims, pledging allegiance etc just shows how ridiculous life in the West of Scotland can be.

I went to Boys Brigade and have a lot of time for it and the people who ran it gave up their evenings looking after wee scroats trying to instill some discipline (a word which is much maligned but very important in all aspects of life) and experience in them. I went to a BB reunion last year and had a great time. You only appreciate things like this when you are older and more mature.

A few boys dropped out of the Junior BB and never made it to the Company Section as it turned out they were Catholics (we couldn't care less beside different schools at that age) and I remember my dad unable to explain whey they stopped going. We marched behind a Saltire and Union Jack and may have toasted the Queen once a year at a display but as a kid you don't care about any of that. Some of the lads wore Celtic tops when we played football. It was never an issue. All you care about at that age is having a laugh and playing football. It's adults that push their petty views on their children which ruins it for others.

When you're older you make your mind up about these things. For me the Boys Brigade was about friends, trips, hillwalking, a football team you would die for on a frozen ash pitch; the victories, the defeats and being picked for the Battalion team (the closest I will ever get to representing Scotland - I played the full 90 mins and scored a goal). The really important things in life. I went to a BB different from people in my school because of the church my mum went to and I would have chosen the lads in the BB no matter what school or denomination they were over school friends anytime. It created a bond which exists to this day when I occassionaly bump into people I haven't seen for years, decades maybe.

Firstly, thanks very much to Tommy Taylor who came and took photos at half time of some of the companies who were in attendance, and secondly to the crowd on Saturday, who gave a good cheer for the Boys and especially the 1st Bearsden pipe band.

In reply to mrD's post, I would have to agree, unfortunately, that the experiences described probably do reflect West of Scotland culture, but that this has very little do do with the Boys' Brigade on a wider level. We accept anyone at the BB, and as already stated a lot of companies have many children from ethnic and non-christian backgrounds. The message is much less missionary than might be expected and the most relevant part of the BB's object today is "...the promotion of habits of obedience, reverence discipline and self-respect..", some qualities sadly lacking in many people, young and old, in the west of Scotland.

Today the Boys' Brigade finds it challenging to compete with the wide variety of hobbies and clubs available to young people, however I would argue that most other clubs for young people don't provide the moral guidance and reinforcement that helps to build character and respect for others(although there are exeptions such as Karate, Judo, the Guides/Scouts and others).

P.S. Baden-Powell was an early vice-president and secretary of the BB, where he trialled scouting patrols before founding the seperate Scout movement. :P

Edited by flashman

cheers for giving us that account of the BB flashman...

agreed about the utility of such organisations i do think there is a huge role for the uniformed organisations becuase of the approach they take that is conducive to fostering self discipline and self worth. I send my daughter to karate for exactly those reasons (well apart from the fact i want her to be able to defend herself as a woman if, god forbid, the need arises)

coming from a youthwork background, i think we could do with some aspects of that culture. our side seems to be a bit wishy washy with its non-directive counselling/ choice fostering mindset whereas sometimes i think teenagers just need a good kick up the arse!

I think I was the first in the thread to mention about religious divides , I may have been flippant by saying huuns and tims insinuating it was football related when I clearly meant a protestant/catholic divide. Forgive me for serving up stereotypes that we like to avoid.

I didn't say it as anything other than a piece of fact though, didn't say it to try and associate Thistle with any sectarian values in this move, and I didn't say it to stir up any other controversy either,it may well NOT be common place in other areas of Scotland, I couldn't comment, but where i'm from if you were in the BBs you were Protestant and if you were Catholic you weren't, wether that was an official stance or by means of misinterpreted rumour mongerng I have no idea either, I just know that was the case in my area.

It makes no difference to me what side of that particular divide you fall on, being all growed up now I see it all as being just for youth involvement which is a good thing, I simply didn't like the BBs (or fancy the scouts) because they done other things and all I wanted to do was play fitba 24 hours a day coz I was a bit dafter when I was 6+ years old, not much, but a bit.

Home ground was King George 5th park, pretty decent pitches apart from the bare goalmouths. When I played 2nd BB's home was next to the Wessy bridge?

Were you quite a small goalkeeper? I do remember a game against 2nd BB and I think we were beaten about 5-2 or something ridiculous and the centre half in our team (quite a big lad) punted the ball from our own half and lobbed the goalie.

I remember that pith being quite box-like and yet still had full size goals.

I played a lot of games in goals and it was murder! I don't think I could jump and touch the crossbar.

I guess at that age every keeper is wee for the goals you were put in but there’s no way I was between the sticks when that happened, I was dynamite in goals. And yeah it was the park behind Wessy library near the train tracks and beside the tennis courts. It was an odd shaped pitch, neither long enough or wide enough but still had full size goals.

Speaking of King George V Park, I scored a hatrick there once on my birthday for the BB, I was playing left wing at the time, one was a header, no wee guys ever scored headers, I went nuts. The same park became the site of a warzone a few years later when our year who must have been in 4th year at the time organised a schools 11’s tournament there splitting us down primary school lines, Wessy/Killermont/Colquhoun/Torrance, turned into a massive running battle with numerous threats of getting guys from the Drum/Acre as honours and people being “stakied” :lol: