Access problem: "Host error"

Jaggernaut

Since a day or two ago one of the two computers that I use to come on here isn't playing the game, saying this:

Error 520

Ray ID: 712e3d1a392e8394 • 2022-05-29 09:35:13 UTC

Web server is returning an unknown error

I haven't noticed any other problems with the computer, as all the other sites that I use seem to be connecting as normal.

And this computer that I'm using now is clearly allowing me access as usual.

Anybody any ideas?

A DNS (Domain Name Server) is a remote server that converts the target name (www.wearethistle.net) into an Internet address so that the internet can find your target site.

Normally it would default to the one set by your internet provider, but you can change it in your network settings if you know what you are doing.

I normally use Google Chrome and encountered the same problem. I switched to Edge for accessing this particular website and that has worked fine. 

The problem is still happening on Google Chrome, but having found a solution that works, like with many mysterious IT things, I do not intend to research further.

48 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

A DNS (Domain Name Server) is a remote server that converts the target name (www.wearethistle.net) into an Internet address so that the internet can find your target site.

Normally it would default to the one set by your internet provider, but you can change it in your network settings if you know what you are doing.

Err... pass on that one, thanks.

20 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Err... pass on that one, thanks.

It sounds like the problem has been resolved, but if it does happen again, or any other 5xx error, you can probably get round it by using a private or incognito window (same thing just different browsers have different names). Top right of your browser should be a gear wheel or 3 dots. click on that and there will be an option to open a private/incognito window or tab. However no need if it is currently working fine.

Wait, is it two people experiencing the problem or just one?

If one browser works and the other doesn’t, I would consider the following:

1) Is your version of Chrome up to date?  Does your “working computer” have a newer version installed?

2) Are you using (or have you recently installed) any Chrome browser extensions?  You should be able to check by clicking on the three dots and there will be a section that shows you what extensions you’ve installed.  You can try disabling them one by one to see if any of them is the culprit.

3 hours ago, fenski said:

The issue hasn't been fixed. I still get when using Chrome. I've managed to reset my password and access the site via Edge.

The point is, it is nothing to do with this site. The problem is with your browser or network connection.

Like I said earlier, try using a private/incognito browser tab.

In the words of JL: "Ma heid's buzzin' !"

Ain't had time to try to sort it on the other computer. I'm on Google on both computers, and no problem on this one. However, the OS on the other got updated a couple of days ago.... (this one's too old to take updates now).

21 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

The point is, it is nothing to do with this site. The problem is with your browser or network connection.

Like I said earlier, try using a private/incognito browser tab.

The error is a compatibility issue between Chrome and the website. I get the issue no matter what laptop or phone I  use, if I am using Chrome. As such it is not specific to a particular version of Chrome. Because multiple people are getting the same error using different devices and different versions of Chrome. I reckon the problem is with the forum software.

And as you say it could well be a DNS problem. DNS providers are not specific to users - no user should ever have to do anything locally to resolve a url. However websites need to be registered properly with a DNS provider for the url to work.  This has come up previously with this site when admin had to change the url.

And you shouldn't have to use an incognito session to get website to load.

10 minutes ago, fenski said:

The error is a compatibility issue between Chrome and the website. I get the issue no matter what laptop or phone I  use, if I am using Chrome. As such it is not specific to a particular version of Chrome. Because multiple people are getting the same error using different devices and different versions of Chrome. I reckon the problem is with the forum software.

And as you say it could well be a DNS problem. DNS providers are not specific to users - no user should ever have to do anything locally to resolve a url. However websites need to be registered properly with a DNS provider for the url to work.  This has come up previously with this site when admin had to change the url.

And you shouldn't have to use an incognito session to get website to load.

I wonder whether anybody had that kind of conversation just before the League Cup Final of 1971.

If so, at least one of them would have become the subject of a study about the spread of an alien language!