Thistle v Dunfermline 23rd Feb 2024

CotterJag

Whilst your about Admin, please can you change my forum name to my new favorite word 'Tranche' Jag. I just can't justify my current name anymore...

Many thanks. 👍 

(Hopefully this won't result in a points deduction in the Scottish Cups Pop Up due to changing name during the competition! If it does I may have to take legal action and I'll become bitter again, oh god!) 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding Norge's post he's surely talking in relative terms. 

10 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Getting the Ball on the deck in the Championship is an Urban Myth - this was Jackie Macs Mantra - hence why it took Archie to get us promoted 

If you read my post again I said "in relative terms"

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

If you read my post again I said "in relative terms"

OK - If you take Livvy as an example - they simply overpowered us at the end of the Game - they were Fitter & Stronger & at our level and dare say our Budget ( and even on relative terms) we are not going to get Players that can "move the ball" - what we can do - is have Players who are decent - have them at Max Speed & Max Fitness   

That in turn makes you very difficult to beat 

One of the likely causes of tiring in a game is the age of the squad. Quite a few of our regulars are over 30 (Murihead, Bannigan, Graham, Lawless, Robinson, Alston)

When you compare that with 2012/13 which was probably the last time we played a fast game that ran the opposition off the park then you can see we are more reliant on older personel.

Also worth noting that a team like Raith have very few over 30's which perhaps explains why they are still fresh enough to win games in the last 15 minutes. Similarly Dundee United have ran us off the park in both games and until they signed Wotherspoon they were only regularly playing 3 or 4 over 30's.

It would be interesting to see how our over 30 contingent compares to other Championship teams. To my mind we are more reliant that most and that potentially means fitness late in games can be a problem but more worryingly we will need to replace the core of our squad in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

Re the fitness discussion within these walls. Last night at Somerset it was evident that the team didn't noticeably tire towards the end of the game. They kinda run around like headless chickens but that in itself takes a fair amount of energy. Altho' I agree with JJ re that we often do run out of steam, last night certainly wasn't the case. I don't know if there's any significance but the playing surface was in pristine condition.

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Re the fitness discussion within these walls. Last night at Somerset it was evident that the team didn't noticeably tire towards the end of the game. They kinda run around like headless chickens but that in itself takes a fair amount of energy. Altho' I agree with JJ re that we often do run out of steam, last night certainly wasn't the case. I don't know if there's any significance but the playing surface was in pristine condition.

Lets for talking sake go with Norge Thistles - Make the Ball Work for you 

But to do that your going to need to be Running Constantly to move it make & receive passes   ( unless your punting it from the 18 Yard Box Up the Park ) If we take Iniesta - he would average 12-13Km at pace a game - he never lasted a full game - as the Stats relayed back to the bench via his Body Belt thing said when he was slowing down-  and he was subbed circa 80 Minutes 

another example - I sat beside Owen Coyle at a function when he managed Bolton - he gave the stat of the Young USA Player Stuart Holden - again 12 Km + a game at pace  - I think the other Midfielder was Korean - similar stats - both got injured - the replacements 10Km a game-  that's 4Km missing in passes - tackles-  running off the ball etc etc - that Season he lost his Job 

Now I know nothing about Football - but I have enough Running Miles in the last 40 + Years🙈 ( to know if someone is fit - whichever Football game you want to play - be it a Pressing Game or a Passing Game - you need to be very fit to do so   

And its the simplest & cheapest thing to achieve - decent Running Shoes - after your Right its your left - do it every day until the pain stops - then up the pace until its painful again - repeat the process every Week 😀 

On 2/26/2024 at 2:44 PM, laukat said:

I wasn't so much thinking of the Women's team coaches for fitness but perhaps they could be on the touchline/in the stand and offer tactical advice to Doolan during a Men's match? Spotting what's going wrong and how to address it should be fairly similar in nature between both forms.

Not sure what gets done by the coaching team post game but I would hope they re-watch the game and understand what the coaching team could have done differently. Bringing someone who wasn't involved with the match might offer a different assessment.

Don't think this necessarily would be huge cost as you would be offering an opportunity to the Women's coaching team to gain experience.  

Alternative is we get an experienced ex-coach/ex-manager as a 'consultant' and pay them on a game by game basis to see what its brings.

If we're playing at Firhill, it should be easy to arrange for multiple cameras, at the very least aimed at goalmouths, so that near-instant replays of action are available in the dugout. If they're linked to the tracking used by players, so much the better. After each game, analysis is a must, but reviewing play during the match should be easy to arrange. After all, the view from any dugout is inferior to ours as fans, and fixed cameras (you don't need any fancy tracking) would be the simple solution, possibly with a director to select which clips to send to a monitor in the dugout.

22 minutes ago, Fearchar said:

If we're playing at Firhill, it should be easy to arrange for multiple cameras, at the very least aimed at goalmouths, so that near-instant replays of action are available in the dugout. If they're linked to the tracking used by players, so much the better. After each game, analysis is a must, but reviewing play during the match should be easy to arrange. After all, the view from any dugout is inferior to ours as fans, and fixed cameras (you don't need any fancy tracking) would be the simple solution, possibly with a director to select which clips to send to a monitor in the dugout.

Could we have the camera on the goal line. Even a small one might stop a couple going in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fearchar said:

I agree.

One of the things that was apparent in Doolan's first game in charge away to Ayr is that he had a guy on the touchline with him with a tablet showing him clips of the game. I've not seen that recently so don't know if they still use it or not.

Nowadays the only person I see Doolan conferring with on the touchline is McDonald.