Message From The Board

McKennan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, this is the most balanced, positive and sensible public statement to come out of the Club's boardroom in some years.

What's needed now is some action to support these words, both from the Club directors and from the supporters.

I have said a few times that I believe the Club to be on the cusp of real and positive change. Whether or not that happens will depend on what happens over the coming months, but we all have a part to play in supporting and driving our club forward.

For me, this is the most balanced, positive and sensible public statement to come out of the Club's boardroom in some years.

What's needed now is some action to support these words, both from the Club directors and from the supporters.

I have said a few times that I believe the Club to be on the cusp of real and positive change. Whether or not that happens will depend on what happens over the coming months, but we all have a part to play in supporting and driving our club forward.

Couldn't agree more.

Who else I wonder ? went straight to the end to see who wrote it lol

Positive statement Mr Beattie and I will do my best along with the rest to do our bit !

I hope that our recent boardroom upheaval is not a worrying sign ' aka rats deserting a sinking ship ' and you along with the remainder of the board can work with the fans to .. if not make us champions of the world ... at least a club which is of stable ground for our children to support in the future and more in touch with the life blood that is .us the fans !

The departing chairman will without doubt ..go down in history as a major player in the STJ era.. pity his people skills were desperately lacking.

Onwards and upwards FTOF !

To me the most interesting part is:

"We are also keen to have a fans representative on the board that bring with them not only their unique skills but who truly represent the fans views..."

Two things

first - is that actually a seat at the top table, with full voting entitlements, that we're talking about here, or is that just another way of saying "We've demoted the Rep position to an observer position and The Trust should just accept it"?

or

secondly, is it a way of saying, yes, that seat is available, but the Rep must be properly elected rather than the unfortunate coronation we've had.

I'm on the whole supportive of the language, but it's too vague for me and still reeks of political games when it comes to a Fan's Rep position. Some clarity would be appreciated.

"They have give they're time and energy..."

:D

Bit pedantic I know but this stuck out to me. We shoud be able to get the English correct on a statement coming out of our boardroom. On the upside it does indicate that they want to give us more information, a bit of transparency from the board would be a nice change :)

Bit pedantic I know but this stuck out to me. We shoud be able to get the English correct on a statement coming out of our boardroom. On the upside it does indicate that they want to give us more information, a bit of transparency from the board would be a nice change :)

yes it is, cant have the board being human ;)

Edited by jaggybunnet

To be even more pedantic, Jaggernaut has misquoted the quote! :lol: What the article actually says is:

"These three gentleman (and that’s exactly what they are) have given they’re time, energy and money to the club. "

So the jury is still out as to whether they are human or not. :rolleyes:

At least he went ! Plenty of stay away fans didn't bother ! Nuff said is it not ?

Did he pay in ? now that is another question !

Tom Hughes was in hospitality and at half time announced the winner of the half time draw. He started by introducing himself as an ex chairman, mentioned the number of promotions and relegations, the number of managers he had sacked - he did not respond when someone shouted "the best run club in the country?". Prentice was also present and Analclown was in the bar after the match.

I welcome and agree with the statement. The men who have left have put time and money into the club, much more than the majority of the people who post and read on this board and that should be acknowledged. It's always very easy to snipe from behind your IP address while doing nothing positive to help the club. I hope people do send well thought out ideas to the club. Don't just send an email - "make tickets cheaper" or something along that line. We need justification for our thoughts. From the fans rep I think Mr Beattie is hinting that we need a rep on the board but that rep needs to be someone they can do business with. There's a huge gap between "Big Mick" who has supported the club for years and has named his kids after his favourite players to a fan who has some professional experience, can deal with the board who are all successful professionals in their own fields and who can communicate with the fans and club alike.

I hope this change will bring back people to the club and to this board who have become disenchanted over the years. It wont hurt to come back and give it another go. It's in your blood and the club regardless of who is in the board room is always the thing that is most important.

I think Mr Beattie is hinting that we need a rep on the board but that rep needs to be someone they can do business with. There's a huge gap between "Big Mick" who has supported the club for years and has named his kids after his favourite players to a fan who has some professional experience, can deal with the board who are all successful professionals in their own fields and who can communicate with the fans and club alike.

This is a tricky one. I agree that 'Big Mick' isn't going to be the best person to represent us, and that the person we put forward should be able to conduct themselves in a professional manner. David Beattie clearly doesn't believe that Morag McHaffie has what it takes.

Now to me, the professional standards that David Beattie expects doesn't need to mean that the Rep owns their own business or have pots of money, but is someone who has some energy and communication skills. I've spoken about it at length elsewhere, but I think they need to respect that the Rep is there to represent us first and foremost, and not to double up as a business adviser for them. As the 'lifeblood' of the Club, we deserve to have one of our own at the table, on an equal footing.

I believe that the standard of Rep that we put forward will always be high anyway, as long as we as fans fully engage with a democratic process to elect that person. Unfortunately Morag was simply coronated and no election took place. How that situation came about should be subject to intense scrutiny by us, however no matter the rights or wrongs of that unfortunate situation, Morag was still elected legally.

The BOD might not like it, hell - I don't I like it, but it was legal and it is our Trust. It should be a matter for the fans to hold the Trust Board to account and for us to choose our own Rep, even if that process is a shade off perfect.

I'll welcome a lot of what he says in his programme notes, but if we're all going to move on together then the BOD have to accept that they don't have a hand in choosing our Rep. My question for David Beattie is, if the Trust held another election, and several candidates stood, and hundreds of fans voted, and the result still returned Morag as our nominated Representative - would he then welcome her onto the Board?

If the answer is yes, then maybe we can do some business. If it's no, then they can all shove their elitism up their backsides. So can we have a bit of clarity on this?

Edited by B.C.G. JAG

Can I just add that my comment was not a dig at the current Trust Rep. I've not had any dealings with this person. I absolutely agree that the rep doesn't need to be a business owner or professional but they need to conduct themselves in a business like and intelligent manner. This doesn't come down to wealth or "success" but personality.

The nomination of Morag as the Board Rep is due entirely to the Apathy of the Jags supporters as a whole. The Board has been forced to acceed to this in view of the complete lack of alternatives. So all the snipers should retreat into their shells if they are not prepared to get involved themselves. It's as simple as that IMO. Increased interest in the Trust can only improve its effectiveness.