Hall Of Fame Inductee No3

Steven H

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My argument against Bobby is that I could name loads of more deserving cases before him. Good player, but should he be there before (just to name a few) Donnie McKinnon, Joe Hogan, George Muir, Sandy Brown, Arthur Duncan, George Niven, Bertie Auld, Kenny Arthur, Danny Lennon....mmm dont think so!!

I'm under the impression that inductees to the H o F are not made in any particular order. What in particular I mean by that is the most deserving didn't necessarily go in with the first batch. Those going in on the 10th induction might be just as deserving as their predecessors.

What I'm not certain about is whether those not included in the recent Thistle Legends book will be considered. Danny Lennon and Joe Craig are two players notable by their absence in the book. :unsure:

Sandy Brown: 153 games; Arthur Duncan: 166 games. Both good players, but not legends. Unless there's a specific achievement, like winning a championship, the cut-off point seems to be at least 200 matches (which Houston and Somner both exceed). Otherwise, "Hall of Fame" inductees would merely become so due to some fans' individual preferences.

Sandy Brown sold to Everton for £30,000...massive fee in 1963. Alan Hansen sold to Liverpool for £100,000 (about £100,000 short of what he should have gone for, but still a great fee) If there is a 200 game cut off point, that in my opinion is ludicrous. Sandy Brown is the best ever left back Thistle have ever had and Alan Hansen is the best and most skillful player I have ever seen in the mighty red and yellow, yet they will not qualify for the HOF, but Bobby Houston does. That cannot be right and this aint a witch hunt on Bobby who is as nice a guy as you could meet

Sandy Brown sold to Everton for £30,000...massive fee in 1963. Alan Hansen sold to Liverpool for £100,000 (about £100,000 short of what he should have gone for, but still a great fee) If there is a 200 game cut off point, that in my opinion is ludicrous. Sandy Brown is the best ever left back Thistle have ever had and Alan Hansen is the best and most skillful player I have ever seen in the mighty red and yellow, yet they will not qualify for the HOF, but Bobby Houston does. That cannot be right and this aint a witch hunt on Bobby who is as nice a guy as you could meet

i'm not sure there is a cut off point. Think someone just gave their opinion as to what criteria could be.

Think the club would welcome suggestions for future inductees. I know i'd like to see Danny Lennon in there one day and he ain't in legends book. Jackie Campbell is another who merits a place in his own right. Ma Baw, despite way before my time, will surely get in at some point, as will Chico.

Despite only 3 so far being named it is widely accepted that willie Sharpe is being inducted this time round, so be interested to see who the fifth and final one this time round is. Don't ask me why but i have gut feeling it might be Chico .

Everbody is not gonna be pleased by any so called cut off point. My argument is that fairly average to good players who played over 200 games and yes, Rave On and Badger come into that category are getting inducted instead of the few real top quality guys that graced the red and yellow (Hansen and Brown to name but two) Both these guys did not ask for transfers, made the club substantial amounts of money and both went on to captain Everton and Liverpool and gave Thistle excellent service. As for the 200+ club, if that is indeed the rule, why in Gods name as we approach the 3rd group of inductees is Donnie McKinnon not in there by now???

Everbody is not gonna be pleased by any so called cut off point. My argument is that fairly average to good players who played over 200 games and yes, Rave On and Badger come into that category are getting inducted instead of the few real top quality guys that graced the red and yellow (Hansen and Brown to name but two) Both these guys did not ask for transfers, made the club substantial amounts of money and both went on to captain Everton and Liverpool and gave Thistle excellent service. As for the 200+ club, if that is indeed the rule, why in Gods name as we approach the 3rd group of inductees is Donnie McKinnon not in there by now???

There is no order given as to who gets in and when. Personnally i think we have a great hall of fame as it stands.....remember it is a work in progress so plenty of time to get others in. Sure we will all have differing views as to who we want in and when, depending mainly on our age and who we saw play in the red n yellow. Every member so far has deserved to get in, as , im sure, will future inductees.

Those are good arguments, which if accepted should logically be extended to other excellent players whose Thistle careers were cut short by getting sold on for much-needed funds, such as Tommy Gibb, and Jim Melrose.

And let's not forget Gary Harkins.....( :rolleyes: )

Those are good arguments, which if accepted should logically be extended to other excellent players whose Thistle careers were cut short by getting sold on for much-needed funds, such as Tommy Gibb, and Jim Melrose.

And let's not forget Gary Harkins.....( :rolleyes: )

Harkins only gets in the 2019 intake after the 2011 - 12 1st Division winning campaign (who would have thought we would have had it won by the 1st of March?). With the League safely won, we could concentrate on the Scottish Cup campaign, beating Dundee Utd., First Division Aberdeen, Celtic and Rangers in the Final, with Harkins inspirational in the 5 - 1 panelling of Dick Campbell-managed Rangers.

Agreed, but I will leave GGH out of it!! :lol:

:lol: I can remember a game at Firhill against ? where Bobby had his back to goal, he flicked the ball up spun round and cracked an unstoppable shot straight into the Pokie!I think there was another beauty where he jinked and weaved his way down the right hand touchline before cutting in and unleashing another belter straight into the Pokie. We had some talented players in the 70's. Where are they nowadays,there don't seam to be any around these days? :(

What I'm not certain about is whether those not included in the recent Thistle Legends book will be considered.

Absolutely. There’s no link between the Legends book and those selected for the Hall of Fame.

The great thing about the Hall of Fame I find is the debate that it generates and is a reminder of the rich history our football club has.

Hope to have details of the next inductee online tomorrow evening.

Absolutely. There’s no link between the Legends book and those selected for the Hall of Fame.

The great thing about the Hall of Fame I find is the debate that it generates and is a reminder of the rich history our football club has.

Hope to have details of the next inductee online tomorrow evening.

Great, gona campaign for Danny Lennon to get in !!!!!!!

Oh just admit one of the two to be named is willie Sharp. Evening Times ran the story bout 2 weeks ago !!!

Tom your right, the debate about who should be in and when is great. The likes of sharpe, Ma Baw are way before my time and indeed probably all of us, but i'd love to have seen them play. Reading up on them, they sound as if they were superb players. Oh to have a goal scorer such as sharp now.

great inductees. Law, defo deserves this. Dougie was awesome as was Houston.

Heard Sharpe is one of the 5.

For me, Danny Lennon, Kenny Arthur and Jackie Campbell are all deserving of a place. I'm glad i'm not on the selection panel, you cant please all the people all of the time.

I can't remember if this has been suggested before, but at some point I'd like to see Molly Stallan (sp?) inducted into the Hall of Fame.

I see where you're coming from Will, but is the HOF not for players only? If not where do you draw the line? People like Jimmy Aitken and older managers & chairmen would have to be considered

I see where you're coming from Will, but is the HOF not for players only? If not where do you draw the line? People like Jimmy Aitken and older managers & chairmen would have to be considered

The aim is to hold two HoF events every season. With around 5 inductees each time, we'll pretty soon run out of true worthies among the players. So why not include backroom staff.

Is my memory shot to pieces, or wasn't there some kind of tribute to Molly at one such event?

The aim is to hold two HoF events every season. With around 5 inductees each time, we'll pretty soon run out of true worthies among the players. So why not include backroom staff.

Is my memory shot to pieces, or wasn't there some kind of tribute to Molly at one such event?

she had a testimonial match & probably other tributes

Not so sure. There's about 90 names in the Legends book and as already pointed out quite a few big names didn't make it in. So even omitting the real oldies from the 19th and early 20th century we've got a good few years worth of true worthies.

And of course a Hall of Fame is an ongoing thing so by the time we're running low on heroes from the past we'll have the likes of Chris Erskine & Martin Grehan waiting to go in. :thumbsup2: