Positive Changes At Frihill?

stolenscone

Those who know me will know I'm not exactly a happy clapper, but I can't help thinking that there have been a few positive signs coming out of Firhill in the last few weeks:

1. A more open and direct (and less condescending) style from the Board in their programme notes;

2. A return of the popular calendar, on sale at the next home game;

3. Talk of more accessible events being run by the Business Club, instead of the more elitest black tie events that we've seen in the past (not that there's anything wrong with black tie dinners) - thanks Mr Cowan, I look forward to hearing about your plans;

4. First we get half season tickets, and now 3 and 5 game packages on sale.

All very positive, but against the backdrop of a recession and Fawlty Towers' post about continued losses for 09/10, I wonder if there isn't something bigger at work here?

We've had years of the folk who run our Club doing everything imaginable to turn us off. If things really have turned a corner with the Board (and only time will continue to tell), then isn't it incumbent on us to play our part as well?

There's absolutely no doubt that declining attendances and year on year losses can't continue. Perhaps it means part time football; Perhaps it means outright oblivion? Who knows.

Certainly we each have to take some responsibility and, if we can, play our part by buying those calendars, match programmes, 50/50 tickets, half season tickets, making it along to the game etc.

We can continue to blame others while Rome burns, but I'd much rather we could pull together and support the team in its hour of need.

(Anyway, after that wee burst of positivism, I'm off for a lie down.)

I am feeling more positive about things (both on and off the pitch) but there are still going to be difficult times ahead. This weather will be the last thing the Board will have wanted but hopefully if our home games go ahead as scheduled the supporters will turn up in decent numbers.

People have their opinions on PropCo but it is in the best interests of the Club for planning permission to be granted on Tuesday (and if I win the Lottery tonight that will help as well).

I'll be having a piece of the 5 game package and a few calendars to spread around the Jaggy world. We all know money is tight but if you're buying a pressie for a Jags fan then try and make sure you get something that gives the club a bit of money at a time when we undoubtedly need every penny.

Saaaaame :D . I didnt renew my season ticket this year because other commitments meant I'd be missing a lot of games until Feb (although I havent really missed as many as I thought I would) so I am delighted with the 5 and 3 game packages. Will also be buying a few calanders as stocking fillers...even for non-Jags fans I'm trying to convert (but failing miserably with :( ).

Anyway, well done Thistle I hope this is not simply a case of desperate times calling for desperate measures.

David, any sign of 50/50s being sold outwith matchdays to general public? I'm sure we would double the profits made on this if we could sell them to colleagues, friends, family and anyone else who falls for the sales pitch :D

David, any sign of 50/50s being sold outwith matchdays to general public? I'm sure we would double the profits made on this if we could sell them to colleagues, friends, family and anyone else who falls for the sales pitch :D

I don't want to pre-empt, but yes, I'd like to see this happen, and it shouldn't be beyond the whit of man (I know - "sexist pig") to organise. Tom and I will be speaking with a view to trying to sort this out.

I don't want to pre-empt, but yes, I'd like to see this happen, and it shouldn't be beyond the whit of man (I know - "sexist pig") to organise. Tom and I will be speaking with a view to trying to sort this out.

Magic, here's hoping then!#

It may well be but even if you look at it glass half empty at least we can now see the Board react with a good bit more immediacy. That in itself is a definite positive.

Agreed.

Truly, genuinely not trying to sound at all negative, but improving on the performance of the Chuckle Brothers is the least we could expect from the new regime.

Their intentions towards the fans will be tested in the coming year or so and, of course, the proof of the pudding... etc.

The materialisation of the propco 'project' coupled with the impending general financial crisis at Firhill Road will test their resolve in terms of their belief in fan engagement as not only a means to an end but an end in itself. I think it's yet to be shown whether the new leadership genuinely sees, as its priority, the development of a more fan-influenced club or whether they see their involvement as a mere hobby horse with the indemnity of a nice asset should things go tits up.

Early days, chap(esse)s.

Truly, genuinely not trying to sound at all negative, but improving on the performance of the Chuckle Brothers is the least we could expect from the new regime.

Their intentions towards the fans will be tested in the coming year or so and, of course, the proof of the pudding... etc.

The materialisation of the propco 'project' coupled with the impending general financial crisis at Firhill Road will test their resolve in terms of their belief in fan engagement as not only a means to an end but an end in itself. I think it's yet to be shown whether the new leadership genuinely sees, as its priority, the development of a more fan-influenced club or whether they see their involvement as a mere hobby horse with the indemnity of a nice asset should things go tits up.

Early days, chap(esse)s.

I tend to agree. Trouble is that if everyone sits around waiting to be convinced, there must be a fair chance that the club will fold before anyone takes any positive steps to show their support. None of this is easy - but if overtures are being made, then maybe it's down to us to react.

All of these things are undoubtedly positive but ultimately marginal in terms of the big picture. So how are we going to close the gap to eliminate the losses? How are we going to mitigate the risks of the Warriors going elsewhere at the end of the current agreement (which is worth about £100K pa if my recollection is correct). All in all, that's us looking for us to be able to either be able to generate up to £220K a year on a sustainable basis, or reduce expeditures by a similar number. I'd expect that the ultimate solution would need to be somewhere in between.

Personally, I don't think there's any viable future for the club (and for most of Scottish Football) if that does not involve a significant element (and perhaps wholly) of part time players.

It would also help if prizewinners in the Centenary Fund were actually contacted directly to let them know that they have won a prize. Martin won a table for two in hospitality in the October draw but to date has received nothing to confirm this or how he should go about making arrangements to use the prize.

How are we going to mitigate the risks of the Warriors going elsewhere at the end of the current agreement (which is worth about £100K pa if my recollection is correct).

Now that the pitch seems to hold up relatively well with the Warriors matches as well as ours, both clubs will hopefully come to an agreement when the time comes. It makes perfect sense for both clubs to share a stadium; the Warriors would be faced with the same problem of a stadium that lay empty for 95% of the time if they were to move somewhere on their own. They seem happy at Firhill, and have stated that they just can't fit a rugby pitch onto the available place at Scotstoun. So, no complacency, but I think we can expect the Warriors to stay around.

Saaaaame :D . I didnt renew my season ticket this year because other commitments meant I'd be missing a lot of games until Feb (although I havent really missed as many as I thought I would) so I am delighted with the 5 and 3 game packages. Will also be buying a few calanders as stocking fillers...even for non-Jags fans I'm trying to convert (but failing miserably with :( ).

Anyway, well done Thistle I hope this is not simply a case of desperate times calling for desperate measures.

Great idea this :thumbsup2:

All of these things are undoubtedly positive but ultimately marginal in terms of the big picture. So how are we going to close the gap to eliminate the losses? How are we going to mitigate the risks of the Warriors going elsewhere at the end of the current agreement (which is worth about £100K pa if my recollection is correct). All in all, that's us looking for us to be able to either be able to generate up to £220K a year on a sustainable basis, or reduce expeditures by a similar number. I'd expect that the ultimate solution would need to be somewhere in between.

Personally, I don't think there's any viable future for the club (and for most of Scottish Football) if that does not involve a significant element (and perhaps wholly) of part time players.

It would also help if prizewinners in the Centenary Fund were actually contacted directly to let them know that they have won a prize. Martin won a table for two in hospitality in the October draw but to date has received nothing to confirm this or how he should go about making arrangements to use the prize.

Has Martin tried contacting the Centenary fund or the club ?

Not yet and I don't foresee any particular issues in doing so. But he shouldn't have to do so.

Iirc the draw for the Centenary Fund that month was well over a week late. No apologies or excuses were ever given. Perhaps we were supposed to give a bit of leeway as this draw was the first since Eddie Prentice had stepped down from the Board. Even so I feel that a Club claiming poverty should get the basics right. To hear that a winner has not been contacted after all this time only emphasises what appears to be an amateurish attitude towards the CF.

In fairness I'm praising the new boardroom regime but this is a basic area that requires immediate attention.

Hypothetically and in contrast had an 1876 Club draw been made so late and a winner not contacted I feel there would be major embarrassment and immediate correction would've been made to ensure it didn't happen again. Somehow I don't sense those running the Centenary Fund will feel that embarrassed or be that minded to ensure those errors don't recur. I'd like to be proved wrong.

Definite room for improvement methinks.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Sure, each new initiative or change in working practices might only make a little difference, but they are all trying to turn negatives into positives. It might not hapen as fast as we would like, but its a big ship to turn.

The reaction to most things the PTFC board have done recently (Communication, paying personnally for new staff, half-season tix, 3/5 match packages) has been positve. If there is enough interest, the effect can be greater than just mearly 'marginal'.

For me our biggest problem just now is that we see no real benefit to us owning Firhill, apart from being a guarantee against our debts. We do not see any real money generated outwith match day. The contract with the Warriors is obviously a great income generator, but if we could find a way of utilising the facilities we have outwith matchday, we'd hopefully see our debt reduce further in future years.

....if we could find a way of utilising the facilities we have outwith matchday, we'd hopefully see our debt reduce further in future years.

Ultimately I think that has to include an artificial playing surface somewhere along the way as well.

It's worth repeating though that our problem is not the level of debt but our ongoing inability to trade at break even levels at least. As a one off exercise, I'd suggest that finding a means of eliminating this would be a lesser challenge than sorting out the trading side of things. It's the latter that's going to be the prime determinant of the way the club looks in future, if such a thing exists.