Mmmm Corkys Happy

Lindau

and he reckons if we keep 7 or 8 of the current squad we will soon be challenging for promotion, then he says there will be more going out the door than in, in January and that we are as good as Raith and Dunfermline. One thing he fails to mention is, you only win games by scoring goals. We have surely got to try and get a striker in the door in January.

http://www.ptfc.co.uk/news/2010-2011/december_2010/raith_rovers_after_match_reaction

So who are the 7 or 8 that he wants to keep for the future? Let's assume that he's not referring to the older players - Halliwell (can go), Hinchcliffe, Robertson, Archie, Maxwell McNamara, Rowson and Donnelly. I would be surprised if he is referring to Buchanan or Grehan. That leaves Fox, Paton, Boyle, Kinniburgh, Cairney (under contract for next season), Hodge, Erskine and Doolan. I would hope that he will hold on to the promising youngsters, none of whom even made the bench today.

I'd actually agree with McCall on this one - nobody in this league is anything special. If we could keep 7 or 8 of the current squad, and add 3 or 4 quality players in the right positions, we could be a good team. I honestly don't see what there is to argue with here - most managers in our league could correctly say the same thing.

The problem is getting the deadwood away, highlighting quality players that are better than what we have, and paying for their transfers/wages. Finance is always going to be our problem.

So who are the 7 or 8 that he wants to keep for the future? Let's assume that he's not referring to the older players - Halliwell (can go), Hinchcliffe, Robertson, Archie, Maxwell McNamara, Rowson and Donnelly. I would be surprised if he is referring to Buchanan or Grehan. That leaves Fox, Paton, Boyle, Kinniburgh, Cairney (under contract for next season), Hodge, Erskine and Doolan. I would hope that he will hold on to the promising youngsters, none of whom even made the bench today.

I don't disagree with him, but it was only a month or 2 ago he wasn't happy with the team but was basically saying "It's what we have & we've got to get on with it", can't really just change your mind like that.

If players are to fulfill their potential & we can keep them: Fox, Paton, Boyle, Kinniburgh, McGeough, Bannigan, MacBeth, Campbell, Cairney, Flannigan, Hodge, Erskine, Doolan, Buchanan. All players who are young enough to be here for years to come, but can they keep improving? & can come find their form & keep it? Doubtful, but you never know. Mixed in with Robbo, Archie, Rowson & possibly afew new signings we have a good squad, depends how our finances are come July.

I'd actually agree with McCall on this one - nobody in this league is anything special. If we could keep 7 or 8 of the current squad, and add 3 or 4 quality players in the right positions, we could be a good team. I honestly don't see what there is to argue with here - most managers in our league could correctly say the same thing.

The problem is getting the deadwood away, highlighting quality players that are better than what we have, and paying for their transfers/wages. Finance is always going to be our problem.

When you say "Getting rid of the Deadwood" Do you mean the posters on here who continue to rubbish Ian McColl?

To get the best out of the younger players, you need good experienced players to help them develop. That doesn't just come from the coaching staff but from the older players in the squad.

How good are our 'experienced players'? Also, our younger players never, ever get to play alongside these players so I can't see it making much difference. McGeough must have played alongside Archie and Robertson once or twice. MacBeth and Bannigan with Rowson maybe twice? Burns and Donnelly a few minutes at the end of last season?

because he hardley had a save to make :thinking: in fact did he???

he did what he had to well, but MOM was abit much

For most of the game no but he had one terrific save when a Raith player in the box shot through a defender's legs and he must have seen it about a nano-second before it reached the goal line. How he got down to it to stop it was astonishing. The Raith keeper had a good save too though Erskine hit it at a saveable height. Along the ground it was almost certainly a goal.

Re MoM thought it bit much myself...but I can't think of anyone who was good consistently. Rowson for instance was poor until some incident seemed to annoy him then he was getting really stuck in. Erskine was his usuall mixture of great and awful, Donnelly good then fell out of the game. And so on. Maybe we need man of the half hour for some games.

Edited by Mr Bunny

5 goals in 8 home games....need a striker, otherwise we could still go down. NB I'd still persist with Buchanan. Sooner or later, he'll start scoring. Donnnelly and Erskine not the answer.

We can't keep giving him forever. When he scored against Cowdenbeath I was hoping that would break his drought but he doesn't really look like scoring. I thought he about to score a belter yesterday but allowed the defender to put in a great tackle so chance gone. I think Doolan is a bit lightweight but I'd put him in first. I hope I'm wrong but I think Buchanan is finished, with us anyway. If we persist with him and he doesn't start scoring very soon then that could send us down.

I don't disagree with him, but it was only a month or 2 ago he wasn't happy with the team but was basically saying "It's what we have & we've got to get on with it", can't really just change your mind like that.

If players are to fulfill their potential & we can keep them: Fox, Paton, Boyle, Kinniburgh, McGeough, Bannigan, MacBeth, Campbell, Cairney, Flannigan, Hodge, Erskine, Doolan, Buchanan. All players who are young enough to be here for years to come, but can they keep improving? & can come find their form & keep it? Doubtful, but you never know. Mixed in with Robbo, Archie, Rowson & possibly afew new signings we have a good squad, depends how our finances are come July.

If we keep only getting just about the 2000 mark itll be a case of what finances :(

5 goals in 8 home games....need a striker, otherwise we could still go down. NB I'd still persist with Buchanan. Sooner or later, he'll start scoring. Donnnelly and Erskine not the answer.

I can't understand why Doolan, our top scorer, has been benched. His last start was over a month ago at Forthbank when he scored the third goal.

I can't understand why Doolan, our top scorer, has been benched. His last start was over a month ago at Forthbank when he scored the third goal.

If there was a bit more muscle in midfield, particular in attack, then Doolan & Buchanan should be the default front two. Without that added muscle I can see why Donnelly gets a start ahead of Doolan. If we had a Hardie type instead of Hodge, Flannigan, Erskine or an out of sorts Cairney we could accommodate two relative lightweights up front.

If there was a bit more muscle in midfield, particular in attack, then Doolan & Buchanan should be the default front two. Without that added muscle I can see why Donnelly gets a start ahead of Doolan. If we had a Hardie type instead of Hodge, Flannigan, Erskine or an out of sorts Cairney we could accommodate two relative lightweights up front.

BMMMH hasn't featured for Saints first team squad since returning to the Fermers.

His contract is up end of this year.

2 + 2 = ..... ? :thinking:

Feature more also, Doolan has to.

BMMMH hasn't featured for Saints first team squad since returning to the Fermers.

His contract is up end of this year.

2 + 2 = ..... ? :thinking:

Plenty of people are saying this ^^

I really hope it is true, that he is coming to us, however didn't he leave us with an injury and could this be why he hasn't featured? Would we want him if he's crocked? I say get rid of Maxwell and get Hardie in as player/asst manager.