Rumour Mill

thornwoodjag

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Robertson is pretty poor. He's one of those players who makes frequent mistakes, yet the fans seem to forget them and have this idea that he's solid. He's also a main culprit for volleying/half-volleying the opposition's through balls/long balls up 40 feet into the air to come down 15 yards in front of him. Kinniburgh's improvement makes me think I'd like Robertson to leave.

John Robertson is pretty poor. He's one of those players who makes frequent mistakes, yet the fans seem to forget them and have this idea that he's solid. He's also a main culprit for volleying/half-volleying the opposition's through balls/long balls up 40 feet into the air to come down 15 yards in front of him. Kinniburgh's improvement makes me think I'd like Robertson to leave.

Totally disagree, Robertson is by far the best centre half we have at the club and we would be daft to consider letting him go considering the alternative`s we have.

Robertson's departure will depend on whether the youngsters like McGeough and Lochead can compete for places in the first team. His cause will not have been helped by the improvement in the defence's performance whilst he has been out.

The extension of Balatoni's loan could be significant. He is still young and will improve with more games. My concern is that we could be developing a Hearts player at the expense of our own young players of the future.

We're really obliged to play Balatoni and help in his development otherwise we'd face difficulty getting loan players in the future. We'd maybe be better sending Lochhead and maybe McGeough out on loan tho' we could struggle at right back if Paton is unavailable. In any case I think Lochhead's future may be more as a holding midfielder.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robbo is told this month he's free to find another club as he isn't likely to be offered a new deal in the summer. That would be the fairer way to treat the guy than just releasing him in May. I don't see why we can plead poverty on one hand and have so many centre backs (or fill ins) on our books. We've Willie K, Archie, Balatoni, Robbo plus McNamara, Maxwell, McGeough, Lochhead and at a push Rowson who' wouldn't be out of place in a back three. Boyle can also play there tho' there's no real cover for him at left wingback except maybe Hodge.

You're not missing anything, mate. When was this game he did well? All i can remember is him being played in the starting lineup when he arrived, making a bunch of mistakes - like at Morton and Falkirk home in the league cup (and those are only the ones that cost goals!) - then getting dropped and making a couple of sub appearances since. He's often out of position, caught on the ball and is prone to switching off. His best attribute is he's decent with the ball at his feet, until he gets caught with it. Why should we play him in our team to get all these learning curve mistakes out his system during our competitive games, only to go back to Hearts? Play McGeough or Lochhead. I doubt they'd make worse mistakes than he has.

McCall and the Club: don't sell season tickets describing the season as a 'transition season' and telling us to come and support the youngsters, only to give them 3/4 appearances in total, between all of them, in the firsthalf of the season.

Edited by PaleGreySky

Last few games hes played he has kept a clean sheet when he has played. remeber this is his first season playing 1st team football so he is bound to make mistakes. sure he is learning with every game, dont think the manager would bring him for another 6 months if he didnt think he was good enough for us

You're not missing anything, mate. When was this game he did well? All i can remember is him being played in the starting lineup when he arrived, making a bunch of mistakes - like at Morton and Falkirk home in the league cup (and those are only the ones that cost goals!) - then getting dropped and making a couple of sub appearances since. He's often out of position, caught on the ball and is prone to switching off. His best attribute is he's decent with the ball at his feet, until he gets caught with it. Why should we play him in our team to get all these learning curve mistakes out his system during our competitive games, only to go back to Hearts? Play McGeough or Lochhead. I doubt they'd make worse mistakes than he has.

McCall and the Club: don't sell season tickets describing the season as a 'transition season' and telling us to come and support the youngsters, only to give them 3/4 appearances in total, between all of them, in the firsthalf of the season.

I was one of the 100 or so jags fans who witnessed conrad having a great game at East End a couple of weeks back. Over his last 4 appearances i have thought the improvement has been vast. NOt against the signing.

As for Robbo leaving, we would be daft to let him go.

We need to remember that the player may have his own ideas on the subject and Robertson might feel that the time is right to step down a level and start looking to a career after his playing days are over.

If he is to go then I can only think that this has to be the case. Robbo would be a big loss and has been a great servant since joining the club. He would be sorely missed but the likelyhood is that he will not get a new deal therefore it may benfit everyone for him to move on if it frees up a place for us to bring in some fresh blood in areas where we could be dong with it, ie up bleedin front!

I can't really decide which side of the fence i'm on with BMMMH. On one hand, he did offer us something different and played well for us in the 3 games he had, although it shouldn't be forgotten he was in the 4-2 Stirling team so we didn't look convincing in all the games he played for us. Haliwell was in goals then so that would pretty much nulify any good performance from the rest of the team.

On the other hand, he has been asked to prove his fitness to St. Johnstone and subsequently been released. Is it just being sentimental when McCall talks of it being a nice way for him to end his career with us? Can we afford to be sentimental?

I guess what i'm trying to figure out is whether it would be more of a gamble to go for a proven (ableit historically injury prone) player, or a new face who will need to quickly settle in/deliver the goods.

Also, would anyone take Derek Lyle? I would...

I'd say no. Couple of reasons being he's not played anything like 90 mins this season and he's not scored. Also he may have lost a yard, thru his injury, what pace he had (similar circumstances to Buchanan). That's actually three reasons and I just feel it would be too much of a gamble.

If we had money for a striker then Witteveen (spelling?) would be ideal. 5 goals in 9 games with Morton last season and was on trial at Stirling at the weekend and scored v Falkirk. If he's looking to stay in Scotland then division 1 looks to be his level.

If we're to sign Hardie it really needs to be some sort of deal which doesn't leave us out of pocket if he ends up injured for the rest of the season.