Rumour Mill

thornwoodjag

I was going to post this elsewhere, but ...

I can only imagine that Fox, while still not having put pen to paper, has previously indicated that he would stay if we offered him a contract. I cannot see the sense in telling Bryn that he's free to find another club otherwise. Halliwell is a liability but we have no real alternative other than him, and McCall seems unwilling to pitch the youths in to the first team, so can't see that Scully would get a game, even ahead of Halliwell.

The club must be close to a deal with Fox or McCall would be busy trying to find an alternative. His match preview comments show that, even with Scully injured, Halliwell has no future at Firhill. If Halliwell goes, McCall should sign a loan player to cover for Scully as I would not want Hinchy on the bench.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it Fox is the keeper for tomorrow - if he plays surely he's cup tied if he signs for any other club, unless he's planning on signing for Celtic since they'll be getting put out by Berwick, so it wouldn't be a problem....

Fox is already cup tied, EoH, he played against the Binos.

btw have read this week that Fox has been ill, Shepherd off to the juniors, Halliwell also ill and Scully injured. I trust that Scott F is fully better and our goalie coach will only be on the bench.

btw have read this week that Fox has been ill, Shepherd off to the juniors, Halliwell also ill and Scully injured. I trust that Scott F is fully better and our goalie coach will only be on the bench.

I would expect Halliwell to be on the bench if Fox is healthy.

A good point well made m'Lady. I'd forgotten we had His Foxship as custodian rather than Mr Halli(un)well between the sticks in that fixture.

I'm also not keen on supporting a guy who enjoys an extravagant lifestyle due to the large scale distribution of controlled drugs.

A very strong moral stance to take on Buchanan.

Strange then that on every post you make, you choose to display a photograph of Harry Roberts.

To quote from Wikipedia -

'Harry Maurice Roberts is a career criminal who instigated the Massacre of Braybrook St that resulted in the murder of 3 policemen in 1966'.

and again

' He shot dead 2 policemen while one of his accomplices gunned down the third police officer '.

If you chose the photo out of ignorance then you have my apologies and it is at least ironic but if not then it does smack of stones and glass houses.

I would say that the target man is what Donnelly is intended to be. He is there to hold off defenders and "bring others into play" to use a cliche. He just doesn't do it very well anymore.

What?

He does so as well as the best in the first division.

He most certainly does that job better than anyone else currently on the books at Firhill.

What?

He does so as well as the best in the first division.

He most certainly does that job better than anyone else currently on the books at Firhill.

It speaks for itself. I don't think he is any use at that role. He is barged off the ball 9 out of 10 times due to his habit of backing into a defender. The fact that no-one else at the club can do it better is pretty irrelevant, we shouldn't be using a style of play that involves a target man without the necessary personnel.

It speaks for itself. I don't think he is any use at that role. He is barged off the ball 9 out of 10 times due to his habit of backing into a defender. The fact that no-one else at the club can do it better is pretty irrelevant, we shouldn't be using a style of play that involves a target man without the necessary personnel.

Sorry, but while I can see where a lot of other folk are coming from with criticism of Donnelly, you've lost me. Pound for pound the guy's very strong and his single best attributes are his shielding of the ball and his hold up play. I don't think we've had a player that could rival that since Gerry Britton tho' on a one off match Hardie came close in his first game back earlier in the season.

I would say that the second striker role that Donnelly is currently playing is far from ideal but I'd put that down to lack of height. Donnelly is no out and out striker and doesn't have a striker's nose for a goal. Neither is he tall enough to be effective for knock downs like O'Connor was or Holmes and Deuchar probably still are, but Donnelly's close control is about second to none in our division.

Donnelly needs the ball to his feet. One of the main problems is the distribution of the defence. Players like Archibald and Robertson are really bad for putting the ball 2 yards over Donnelly's head, and he is a terrible player for making a token gesture of an attempt to win a header, rather than actually attempting to win the ball. He is very good with the ball playing into his feet when facing his own goal, however. Evident in his setup of the 3rd goal v Stirling in the cup. I think the defence has had a lot to answer for over the last 2/3 years. The first line of defence is attack, and the first line of attack is defence. Our (central) defence are awful on the ball, and this is often why we end up playing long balls to Donnelly.

Ach here we go again with Donnelly. A question: Does anybody ever have the feeling that Donnelly will change the way the match is going if we're struggling and he comes on as sub? I certainly don't. Another question: Did anybody tremble at the thought of Donnelly playing against us for another team when it looked like he was offski? I certainly didn't. A final question: Would 10 Donnellys in the team see us win the league? I certainly doubt it. For all some people think his vision is somehow out of this world, his influence on our team's performances has been next to nothing for a couple of years now.

Ach here we go again with Donnelly. A question: Does anybody ever have the feeling that Donnelly will change the way the match is going if we're struggling and he comes on as sub? I certainly don't. Another question: Did anybody tremble at the thought of Donnelly playing against us for another team when it looked like he was offski? I certainly didn't. A final question: Would 10 Donnellys in the team see us win the league? I certainly doubt it. For all some people think his vision is somehow out of this world, his influence on our team's performances has been next to nothing for a couple of years now.

Same could be said for most if not all of the players at Firhill. At the moment we have no one coming off the bench who i feel will make a difference to a game. Most of the time when im wanting Mccall to make a substitution its usually due to someone having a stinker which if im honest is practically every week

Just to give a heads up that Eric Paton is currently training with us, the chance of signing him is highly unlikely apparently, but would be want the aging 32 year old if we could sign him?

Would rather we concentrated on getting Hardie to be honest. A Hardie on and off the park would be a real leader more so than Maxwell, Robertson or Archibald. I see The Glaswegian mentioned Eric training with us a few days ago but said we were unlikely to offer a deal.

Unless someone comes in for our current Paton there's no need for another one.

I think our current Paton has performed pretty well this season and would not be sorry to see his stay extended with us.

Changing the subject completely I realise but on the subject of a striker, what about the lad from Stirling who seems to constantly score for them against us, thinks its Smith. I believe he was on laon from Hearts but recall an interview stating he would quite happily sign for a first divison team as it would guarantee him first team football as opposed to being on the fringes at Hearts and as he has proven can score in this divison.

I think our current Paton has performed pretty well this season and would not be sorry to see his stay extended with us.

Changing the subject completely I realise but on the subject of a striker, what about the lad from Stirling who seems to constantly score for them against us, thinks its Smith. I believe he was on laon from Hearts but recall an interview stating he would quite happily sign for a first divison team as it would guarantee him first team football as opposed to being on the fringes at Hearts and as he has proven can score in this divison.

Have you seen something in this guy Smith that looks like he'd be a striking success for us? Even in the games he's scored against us I don't think he's been that good.

Have you seen something in this guy Smith that looks like he'd be a striking success for us? Even in the games he's scored against us I don't think he's been that good.

He's scored 4 and set up the other 3 of the 7 that Stirling have scored against us, he must be doing something right. I wouldn't have been averse to taking him on loan but Stirling have unsurprisingly extended his loan til the end of the season.

Ross County fans on their forum are saying they've got Steven Lennon in on trial. :lol:

With Marr in on loan after his spell with Falkirk ended and Conroy apparently signing on loan in the next few days it seems McStay is of the opinion a team of Old Firm reserves/rejects are good enough to compete in this league.