Just In

GOVAN JAG

Was just about to start one, various threads about the game/players, but not one specific thread for comments.

Here's my thoughts:

The whole team was brilliant today. Top performers were: Archie, Fox & Erskine. Erskine's goal was a very good one, how many times did we see Buchanan miss 1-on-1's? On Buchanan, apart from the number 11 for them, he was probably their best player. Not so much on chances, but his hold up & lay-off play was good, not what he's been signed for though. Also a good switch of tactics from McCall, putting Flannigan out on the left & sticking Erskine up top, as he said the goal came within 30s of doing so.

We didn't attack much in the 2nd half, but we didn't need to, Dungfermline never looked like scoring.

If it was your 1st game of the season, you would never know Dungfermline were top of the league, you would think it was us. We've played Falkirk twice recently & now Dunfermline & outplayed them on all occasions.

Yes, the pitcy is a state, but it doesn't stop us playing football on it, it's actually not that bump when the ball rolls on it. & by all accounts, st j's pitch next week is even worse that that.

Erskine, particularly first half, as class. No player was particularly poor, but we were made to look so much better by the sheer confidence of Scott Fox. The way he deals with crosses is just so confident that other teams just don't get chances where they used to.

We're really good on the counter now. Both goals today were the result of getting the ball moving quickly after winning the ball back. 9 games unbeaten now and life is good.

Erskine for Scotland!

A complete transformation in the team from earlier in the season.Very good team performance today.You could have put up an argument for any one of our players being MoM.Back four solid as a rock,goalkeeper looks outstanding (has he ever missed a cross),midfield worked their arses off,forwards mobile and danderous throughout.Even when Pars had pressure I didn't think we looked like losing a goal.Finally this season we're looking like a football team.

Bit sad to see how poor Buckie was for them,don't know if he'll ever recapture his old form.

A complete transformation in the team from earlier in the season.Very good team performance today.You could have put up an argument for any one of our players being MoM.Back four solid as a rock,goalkeeper looks outstanding (has he ever missed a cross),midfield worked their arses off,forwards mobile and danderous throughout.Even when Pars had pressure I didn't think we looked like losing a goal.Finally this season we're looking like a football team.

Bit sad to see how poor Buckie was for them,don't know if he'll ever recapture his old form.

Not sad for Buckie at all here. Delighted he fired blanks today in a game which would have been just typical if he scored on his debut for them. He has hardly kicked a ball in over a year for the Jags , was a major cash drain and is no loss. Very surprised the fifers played him from the start.

Another good day at the office. Roll on Perth.

The only downside was that we sat back and fell out of it a wee bit in the second half. The same happened against Falkirk in the cup replay.

If Dunfermline had scored it could have made things unnecessarily uncomfortable near the end.

All hail the Fox!!

Anyone notice how much quicker we were at getting the ball forward today? Is this because of the absence of Sid?

No harm to Sid but it is a fair point you raise. from back to front we are so much sharper & quicker than previously. So much better than the long ball punt to a short arsed Buckie.

No harm to Sid but it is a fair point you raise. from back to front we are so much sharper & quicker than previously. So much better than the long ball punt to a short arsed Buckie.

Talking of arses, did you see that Dunfermline topple like a felled tree when knocked over by Fraser when he came on? :D

Not a failure in the team today i must give a special mention to Hodge who i lambast every week i thought he had a great game today. Archie was magnificent as was Fox,Erskine and Rowson. We defended a bit too deep for my liking in the 2nd half but to be honest the Pars never looked like scoring apart from the chance near the end where Fox make a fantastic save. Although they had almost all the play in the 2nd half we were worthy winners and played some great football on what looked like a rotten pitch. Was great to hear the whole JHS join in the singing---- long may it continue

With Dunfermline playing with Buchanan up front - would the SFL have a case against them for playing a deliberatly weakened team?

Seriously though, everyone was brilliant today - I was pleased for those who came along today after not seeing the Jags for a while, that they were able to see a performance that might bring them back more often. It's good for the kids as well that in the past two weeks they've seen us score 9, including a 6-1 humping, showing that it IS possible once a a while for Thistle to get results like that, and that they could go into school on the Monday boasting that their team had scored six. The rest of us know to expect the unexpected!

The only downside for me today was Geehan who was IMO a waste of a jersey - we would have been better bringing Fraser on earlier instead of him.

Anyone notice how much quicker we were at getting the ball forward today? Is this because of the absence of Sid?

The point was made that we finished (and indeed started) the game with only 2 players over the age of 25 - Rowson and Archie. If anyone wants to mention to them how they're a bit 'past it' it should probably be done to their faces...

The Jags!

Excellent all round team performance. As most have mentioned Fox, Archie and Rowson superb, but I think Kinniburgh deserves a lot of praise too. Probably the best I've seen him play in a Thistle jersey. Dunfermline had a lot of possession in the 2nd half but I was never worried that they were going to score. A really unusual feeling for a Jags game! Having a confident keeper has made a massive difference to the defence.

I think Kinniburgh deserves a lot of praise too.

Hear hear - only gave away two fouls today and didn't get booked.

Whole team played well today (apart from Grehan) and such a transformation from early season - amazing confidence in the side and it shows. Thought Dungfermline were minging. One game plan - get ball to Gibson on right wing.

Pat Clarke must be well pi55ed off - they drop him (their second highest goal scorer) for a new signing who has done virtually sod all in 30 odd games. That said, I'm glad they did.

Well done Jags - another great result and sets up next Saturday nicely (especially with St J losing today).

Delighted with todays performance, tactics were spot on and not a failure on the park (well, maybe Grehan was a bit cack when he came on). The difference in confidence Fox gives our defence has been a major plus and long may it continue. I liked how every time Buchanan got the ball there was a jags defender right up his ar5e not giving him a minute, was also a nice gesture from fans to give him a wee clap on the way off.

Most pleased for McCall, Boyle and Kinniburgh because that's 3 guys who have taken major stick. Doolan...magic, did he get a 2 and a half year deal as well?

Cheers Thistle, in times like this it really is good to be a Jag :D

Edited by Steven H

That's a valid point but I wonder how many would prefer Sid coming off the bench in preference to Grehan. Not really having a go at the latter but the only possibility of us not winning today was tired legs and thus getting pushed continully onto the back foot. There was a wee bit of evidence of that as the game went on and it could have been alleviated if we had someone up front good at hold up play.

Sid? Horses for courses.

Is it coincidence that none of the four player-coaches were in the squad today?

Grehan has been a disappointment and he could benefit (like Doolan and Boyle) from a loan spell. We desperately need another striker as back-up for Doolan. Fraser is looking good but we would be in trouble if he or Doolan gets injured or suspended.

Grehan was poor when he came on, but to be fair to him he needs games before we can tell if he is going to be any good. Look at the difference in Doolan & Erskine now that they are getting a decent run of games.

Great performance by all yesterday, well done to them :thumbsup2: