Today's Game

Firhillista

Jeez oh, is this guy doing a FIFA coaching badge?,What a report! I want him as our next manager.With quoates like " As Thistle were so compact (from top to bottom or defence to attack), they struggled for an out-ball and the forwards were too far from the opposition goal to prove much of a danger" he seems to know what is wrong with us much more than those in charge at the moment.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A really dire game of football.

Never felt we were in danger of losing a goal, but we were absolutely mince up front which cost us any chance of a win. Once again today showed Donnelly is just so far over the hill, and Doolan is almost useless if hes not got someone with a bit of pace alongside him to create space and chances.

Oh by the way, think McCall was exaggerating big time in the paper this morning calling Archie the best defender in the league. Hes solid, but hes had some poor games here and there, was pish against Cowdenbeath.

It was a turgid game. For much of the game our double line of defenders didn't really know what to do when they did eventually get the ball. For much of the time, defensively-minded midfielders just stood off the opposition player in possession. Later on, both sides decided it was just easier to punt the ball up the park and hope one of their own players would get on the end of it. It didn't look as if either team would have scored if they'd played on until the floodlights had to be switched on. Tactically, we deserved to have points deducted.

Fox and Rowson get pass marks.

An in-depth defence was put on the park to deal with an opposition that hardly ever scores, and then the youngsters who can provide the pace to supply our forwards were excluded, not to mention playing only one out-and-out goalscorer: this is just playing for a defeat or a draw, at a time when we need points to stay clear of the relegation zone. As has been pointed out, using older players who are about to go out of contract doesn't make much sense either. Since points are unlikely to come from next week's match, the league position is being threatened by poor decision-making. Oh, and to add to the lack of strategic thinking, we are still to re-sign Boyle but the after-match summary effectively tells him that he's essential to the team. :o If he doesn't have an agent, he can afford to splash out on one now, since his Thistle contract is assured.

It was a turgid game. For much of the game our double line of defenders didn't really know what to do when they did eventually get the ball. For much of the time, defensively-minded midfielders just stood off the opposition player in possession. Later on, both sides decided it was just easier to punt the ball up the park and hope one of their own players would get on the end of it. It didn't look as if either team would have scored if they'd played on until the floodlights had to be switched on. Tactically, we deserved to have points deducted.

Fox and Rowson get pass marks.

An in-depth defence was put on the park to deal with an opposition that hardly ever scores, and then the youngsters who can provide the pace to supply our forwards were excluded, not to mention playing only one out-and-out goalscorer: this is just playing for a defeat or a draw, at a time when we need points to stay clear of the relegation zone. As has been pointed out, using older players who are about to go out of contract doesn't make much sense either. Since points are unlikely to come from next week's match, the league position is being threatened by poor decision-making. Oh, and to add to the lack of strategic thinking, we are still to re-sign Boyle but the after-match summary effectively tells him that he's essential to the team. :o If he doesn't have an agent, he can afford to splash out on one now, since his Thistle contract is assured.

We might not be able to afford to re-sign him anyway. To be fair think most fans would agree that i fpossible they would like to see Paddy resigned up.

We moved one further point ahead of our relegation rivals. We have been unlucky losing points to disputed penalties in the last two games.

Do you really think it’s a good idea to blood youngsters in a relegation battle at Ross County?

We moved one further point ahead of our relegation rivals. We have been unlucky losing points to disputed penalties in the last two games.

Do you really think it’s a good idea to blood youngsters in a relegation battle at Ross County?

We lost further ground to Dundee, who look likely to overtake us soon (in spite of giving us a 25-point start) and our position with regards to Ross County remains exactly the same. Albion and County play each other tomorrow, so one of them may gain 3 points. Cowdenbeath might also pick up at least a point tomorrow. If we lose on Saturday, then it really is a battle to avoid the relegation play-off spot, and my question again is: should we trust the oldies who have got us there in the first place to magically get us out of it? I wouldn't! And how come we can blood a youngster who's on loan from another team and who has no real reason to care about what happens to Thistle, but we shouldn't give our own youngsters a chance?

We lost further ground to Dundee, who look likely to overtake us soon (in spite of giving us a 25-point start) and our position with regards to Ross County remains exactly the same. Albion and County play each other tomorrow, so one of them may gain 3 points. Cowdenbeath might also pick up at least a point tomorrow. If we lose on Saturday, then it really is a battle to avoid the relegation play-off spot, and my question again is: should we trust the oldies who have got us there in the first place to magically get us out of it? I wouldn't! And how come we can blood a youngster who's on loan from another team and who has no real reason to care about what happens to Thistle, but we shouldn't give our own youngsters a chance?

Ryan Mcgowan had been on loan to Ayr so he has experience of this level. I don’t think any manager would play young boys in a relegation battle unless they are exceptional.

By the end of the season hopefully will have around 6 or 7 boy’s who have experience of the first team.

Who of the ‘oldies’ are you going to drop?

They are going to overtake a number of teams including us because they effectively cheated and despite the 25 point penalty have got away very lightly. Fact is if it wasnt for that penalty they would by some margin be top of the league, they are arguably the best team in the league. Even in administration they can afford far higher wages than us. We could only dream of getting in guys like Griffiths, Forsythe, Higgins and getting Harkins back because of our finances, Dundee havent let that stop them. Its a totally different scenario. Dundee realistically with the players they have could finish in the top 3 still.

Take away the 25 point penalty and their is a good chance they would have romped this league, that means not only are they far better than us but are pretty much far better than most other teams in the divison. Cant agree with getting worked up over the fact they are likely to pass us soon in the league.

However you raise an intersting point about some of the older players that have helped get us into the situation in the bottom half. One of the main culprits Halliwell is clearly on his way out, but you raise an interesting point about the others. Especially interesting as I see a number out of contract.

Out of the ones out of contract I would be keen to keep Boyle and possibly Flannagan, Rowson and Paton. Not sure what of the others. I have been critical of Donnelly in the past and on the playing field have not seen anything to really justify a new contract but of the playing field as a coach with the young lads he could be very valuable. Its going to be a tricky decision time when it comes to who has justification for a new contract and who doesnt.

Edited by Third Lanark

Having seen Cowden and Stirling recently, I can safely say that we are NOT in a relegation fight.

Regardless of how badly we played at Cowden, we still should have won that game about 5-1 going on the amount of chances we created.

I'm not too unhappy about going up to County and playing defensively given 2 factors, first being the poor performance at Cappielow and second, the impact of having Calderwood firing up Ross County to make them a tougher proposition than they would have been had McStay still been in charge.

I'm sure the young guys will get a chance as we have a lot of midweek games coming up. Also encouraging to read that Boyle is in today's Glaswegian saying he wants a new contract.

It seems to me that there are a few heads-in-the-sand perspectives on here. We're a team that's going nowhere in the league, basically out of all competitions, and that still needs to ensure victories to be sure of avoiding the relegation play-off position. I make it 3 victories in our last 12 league matches, and facing the best team in the league on Saturday (so, a nice one to win!), with little sign that we're capable of getting any kind of sequence of wins on the go.

For next season I'd get rid of all of the over-30s with the exception of Archie.

Cue the "Rowson is fantastic" protests. Is he inspirational? Nah. Does he create openings? Nah. Does he score? Nah. Agreed he's good at running around and tackling guys, but so are many others.

Donnelly? If he's retained again as a player next season my heart will truly sink.

Agree with GrantB. Personally I`m finding this continued talk of a relegation battle more than a little tiresome. It`s the internet equivelant of wearing a hair shirt. I`m all for pragmatism but it seems that overt pessimism is something to be admired on this board.

For what it`s worth we won`t be relegated.

We won`t finish in the relegation play off spot.

This is the case even if we don`t sign a forward. This is the case even if Donnely gets a game every week.

Simple reason is that we play in the same league as Stirling Albion and Cowdenbeath.

Agree with GrantB. Personally I`m finding this continued talk of a relegation battle more than a little tiresome. It`s the internet equivelant of wearing a hair shirt. I`m all for pragmatism but it seems that overt pessimism is something to be admired on this board.

This is the case even if we don`t sign a forward. This is the case even if Donnely gets a game every week.

Simple reason is that we play in the same league as Stirling Albion and Cowdenbeath.

Spot on...as was Grant B.

I would put my mortgage on Thistle finishing above 9th.

That should bring the crowds flocking back.

You're right, I think. But that doesn't mean that what we're being subjected to most weeks, and in fact season after season in away matches, should be considered as what Thistle (and the fans) should be aspiring to.

For what it's worth, I think we'll beat Dundee on Saturday.

All this talk of them being a great team is an exaggeration. They have been incredibly lucky in that they have had very little injuries and they have carried a massive amount of luck in games. For instance, QoS absolutely battered them a few weeks back, Dundee had 2 shots on goal and won 2-1.

As the good Lady has already pointed out, Dundee drew 1-1 with Morton on Saturday.

Dundee have handled their situation very cutely; you have to admire them, in a warped way. They ditched an unpopular management duo, trimmed the deadwood from their squad and engineered a vote that saw them escape the burden of much of their debt. All this while creating a siege mentality and team spirit that's driving their current run. It seems, when they're not outplaying their opponents, they're winning by sheer force of will, rather than luck. They've also managed to completely change media perception of them. You have to imagine there were a few journalists eager to stick the boot into the 'Chelsea of the north', but the fundraising efforts of their fans and the fairytale stories involving returning heroes and lifelong fans making the step up from the Juniors to aid their cause mean they're viewed in a sympathetic light.

I'm not suggesting that Thistle showed follow suit. Obviously the ordinary creditors that have lost out on significant sums of money have been ignored in all this. But I'd give anything to see our team play with such determination and our fans pull together to support our club in a similar manner. Perhaps Saturday's game, given it's against 'the cheats' is the starting point. I'd have hoped, given they can overtake us should they win, the club's current marketing team would be building this game up in a similar fashion to the way Jim and Ami did in the December of 2009 - remember Glasgow's big game? - but there doesn't appear to be any sign of that happening.

Edited by Dark Passenger

Nobody in this league is outstanding. TBH I think that the only game we've been in danger of being humped this season has been the 0-2 Dunfermline game at home, and I believe that some players just gave up that day. It's certainly the first time I felt any negativity towards Donnelly.

Anyway, even although there are three teams (four if you include Dundee without their points deduction) quite a distance away points wise, they are all beatable. Everyone is, and we'd all do well to remember that.

We are too close to the foot of the table to be comfortable yet, but I honestly believe that if there is a team too good to go down, currently in the bottom half, it's Thistle.

I expect nothing but a win against Dundee on Saturday, and will be there getting right behind the team. Roll on Saturday, who gives a toss how many fans Dundee bring down. Mon the Thistle!