Herald Match Report

beep0608

I had a quick glance at the Herald sports section today, and looked for our match report. Could not believe what I saw.

In what masqueraded for that, there was a picture of Dundee fans waving their hands in the air, and the report started off on Dundee and their issues, then mentioned their trialists, then another trialist, then......

They mentioned that it ended 0-0. Eh, thanks for that. Not a single mention of the game at all. No mention of chances missed, disallowed goals, nothing. Didn't even say whwther it was crap or not.

Unbelievable. Maybe it wasn't the best game but even so. A bit of background is one thing but....fuxake....scandalous really. This tw*t will probably end up in charge of the Herald sports desk. Ian Archer must be turning in his grave. I feel suitably outraged so may write to the paper. I'll mention how crap the Sunday Herald is these days, no match reports at all in there these days.

Needless to say, I can't find it online. Sigh.

Edited by beep0608

I had a quick glance at the Herald sports section today, and looked for our match report. Could not believe what I saw.

In what masqueraded for that, there was a picture of Dundee fans waving their hands in the air, and the report started off on Dundee and their issues, then mentioned their trialists, then another trialist, then......

They mentioned that it ended 0-0. Eh, thanks for that. Not a single mention of the game at all. No mention of chances missed, disallowed goals, nothing. Didn't even say whwther it was crap or not.

Unbelievable. Maybe it wasn't the best game but even so. A bit of background is one thing but....fuxake....scandalous really. This tw*t will probably end up in charge of the Herald sports desk. Ian Archer must be turning in his grave. I feel suitably outraged so may write to the paper. I'll mention how crap the Sunday Herald is these days, no match reports at all in there these days.

Needless to say, I can't find it online. Sigh.

I sympathise. Used to like the Sunday Herald, though got fed up with their rabid anti-SNP (non)stories week-in, week-out. But since they've changed to their "magazine" format the overall value for money has gone right down. They don't even have the weekly tv schedule any more. Think I'll need to drop it, but hell, what's the alternative? Certainly not SoS.

Maybe, after all these years, it's back to the Sunday Post for me.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Penny finally dropped for me on Sunday after I'd read several bizarre accounts of the game that they were all basically written by the same person who had decided the game was crap and all that prevented Dundee from winning was Scott Fox and the state of the pitch! The standard of reporting on the First Division is appalling. :mad2:

Penny finally dropped for me on Sunday after I'd read several bizarre accounts of the game that they were all basically written by the same person who had decided the game was crap and all that prevented Dundee from winning was Scott Fox and the state of the pitch! The standard of reporting on the First Division is appalling. :mad2:

Emailed them a couple of weeks ago. Told them if they insisted on putting 1st Div games into something called a `First Division Round Up` whilst eulogising the English Premiership then I would insist on taking another Sunday paper. Our half paragraph this Sunday following yesterdays non match report has made my mind up for me. Shame and I really get nothing from the Indipendent or the Times. Would`nt even consider SOS.

The standard of reporting on the First Division is appalling. :mad2:

that might true of print media, which is struggling generally but which is especially so in the scottish sundays. however, for me the standard of reporting has never been better. the quality and choice of match previews and reports on unofficial and even some official sites is pretty good. some are even quite innovative, like the ross county tactics site that someone posted a link to after our game a few weeks back.

the print media would be better bowing out gracefully and not bothering with the SFL at all.

The report in the Sunday Herald this week was one sentence long. To think it used to be called the "Glasgow" Herald. I also deplore the new format. I understand that they have been losing money hand over fist and this is an attempt to cut costs. However I was also told that it has backfired and that readership is well down since they change the format. Not surprised.

I defected back to Scotland on Sunday a few years ago. Even during the week I get the Daily Telegraph. The Herald is rubbish now, nothing in it, and what is in it is BBC-style censored progaganda. It's shocking, I used to love my Herald when I was younger, sniff.

I defected back to Scotland on Sunday a few years ago. Even during the week I get the Daily Telegraph. The Herald is rubbish now, nothing in it, and what is in it is BBC-style censored progaganda. It's shocking, I used to love my Herald when I was younger, sniff.

It used to be a Scottish newspaper back then with an interest in providing for its local customers. Been foreign owned for some time now by a big company that doesn't give a damn as it's now just one tiny bit of a huge conglomerate. Scotsman is owned locally mind you and though it's better than the Herald it's not that great either.

It used to be a Scottish newspaper back then with an interest in providing for its local customers. Been foreign owned for some time now by a big company that doesn't give a damn as it's now just one tiny bit of a huge conglomerate. Scotsman is owned locally mind you and though it's better than the Herald it's not that great either.

So glad I only ever read the Sunday Sport!!!

Their rationale will be the SH probably sells about 30,000 copies on a Sunday. Even assuming a greater proportion of Thistle fans may buy the paper than other Scottish clubs, it still means only around 1-2000 of readers will be looking for the match report, if that. They wouldn't see it worth their money sending a reporter there for £100 when they could cut and paste from other source. Instead, given Herald Group already pays agency subscriptions, they can lift unlimited copy from the Premiership for no extra cost. As well as the obvious financial savings, they might reckon the bulk of readers are more interested in the Premiership than Scottish Div One.

I agree with the posters though, the level of coverage is appalling, and shouldn't always be down to projections made by people overseeing a dying industry.

Probably too much time on my hands but the way in which standards in the Herald have slipped so much is really really annoying me. Not just the sports coverage which is now almost solely OF..SPL..Rugby..EPL but even the crosswords. Has anyone ever bothered to read the right wing Thatcherite rantings of the Monday columnist? And it`s in the Herald.....

Anyway, unhappy at being ignored by them I threatened to organise a boycott of their publication by Thistle supporters in resposonse to our coverage and guess what, still bloody ignored. Oh Well. Only hope is that the chancer who steals off this site for the Diary column might not just be the guy who makes the tea.

Probably too much time on my hands but the way in which standards in the Herald have slipped so much is really really annoying me. Not just the sports coverage which is now almost solely OF..SPL..Rugby..EPL but even the crosswords. Has anyone ever bothered to read the right wing Thatcherite rantings of the Monday columnist? And it`s in the Herald.....

Anyway, unhappy at being ignored by them I threatened to organise a boycott of their publication by Thistle supporters in resposonse to our coverage and guess what, still bloody ignored. Oh Well. Only hope is that the chancer who steals off this site for the Diary column might not just be the guy who makes the tea.

I'd join the boycott.

I don't think there's much need for a boycott, from what I've seen on here already and heard from various friends they're pretty much managing to slash the readership all by themselves.

I've dropped it, almost as soon as it went to the magazine format. Mrs Kerr read it faster than I did so by the time I'd finished the formerly reasonably good Sports section there was another part of the paper waiting for me. Once it went to the magazine, I had nothing to read.

We tried the Obsevrer ;) and the Edinburgh on Sunday but neither really does the business.

Oh for a decent Sunday paper.

I don't think there's much need for a boycott, from what I've seen on here already and heard from various friends they're pretty much managing to slash the readership all by themselves.

I've dropped it, almost as soon as it went to the magazine format. Mrs Kerr read it faster than I did so by the time I'd finished the formerly reasonably good Sports section there was another part of the paper waiting for me. Once it went to the magazine, I had nothing to read.

We tried the Obsevrer ;) and the Edinburgh on Sunday but neither really does the business.

Oh for a decent Sunday paper.

Just where are they getting all these awards from. It seems they win a different one every week. They also claim to be increasing their readership on a week by week basis. Could they be telling fibs?

Just where are they getting all these awards from. It seems they win a different one every week. They also claim to be increasing their readership on a week by week basis. Could they be telling fibs?

I used to buy the Sunday Herald fairly often, especially after a Jags win, but having bought the new format it's a never again from me. The report I mentioned came from the Monday sports supplement. Although there was, in theory, a match report, in fact there wasn't. Complete waste of time. I'd sometime buy the Herald on a day off but now I'd rather get anything else.

I'm quite sad to say all this, but feel like it's moved far away from me. I hope I can buy it again one day, but not as things stand now. They must be getting pelters for their new approach, but will they listen? Their sales must be plunging.

Living most of my time up north I liked the herald as I felt it was a "Glasgow" paper. But in recent years the obsession with the old form has got worse and worse. I now prefer to read the Press and Journal for the sports reports. Their main football reporting is on a much broader front. Naturally they give a big report on Aberdeen and ICT and Ross County but they also give reports on many other matches. There was a reasonable report on Jags v Dundee yesterday. They even give a paragraph or so to the old firm but not really more than that.

As for the new Sunday Herald I have also given up. Giving a round up of Division 1 with evidence you can pick up from teletext is just pathetic.