Tonights Game

jaggybunnet

1,001 is the crowd. Time to enforce fixed maximum prices for each division, or move to the summer. £17 on a freezing rainy tuesday in March fo SFL1 is no likely to get people away from the TV (Barcelona v Arsenal) or the cinema.

kinda disagree. So would you have gone if it had been £16? £15?

I reckon even if it had only been a tenner, the gate wouldn't have been more than a couple of hundred more.

No magic answer from me, but I reckon that the glib "it's too dear" is too often just an excuse.

Up unti the last 10 minutes I wished I'd stayed at home. Freezing and the football wasn't brilliant but good result in the end.

What a strike from Doolan. :lol:

I was convinced - and still am - that it was meant to be a cross. Wind helped it I think.

Still a good performance (though a few of the team were a bit off the boil) but we really should have put them away long before we eventually did. We need another striker next season - and we need to try to get it into our players' heads to shoot when they get a chance, not muck about in the box.

Still, good result and, with Cowdenbeath getting beat too, gives us a chance to blood some of the youngsters soon. Fraser came on with 15 minutes to go (with extra time played more like 20) and scored a goal from a tight angle.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I don't think many would argue about whether he meant it, Doolan will probably claim it was a wonder goal rather than the blatant cross gone wrong that it was.

Fraser was a breath of fresh air when he came on. Pretty much his first touch was a shot and then he had the goal and another chance that went wide. Erskine was incredibly frustrating tonight and then pops up with a goal. Thought we were well worth the win in the end and hopefully 7 points ahead of the playoff spot with 12 games to play should be enough.

ground out a performance on a dreadful pitch.Dominated the first half but our strikers HAVE to shoot on sight more.QOS better than us at the start of the second half but we worked our way back into the game.If Doolan meant that goal then it's possibly top ten best Thistle goals ever.Erskine and Fraser with two very good finishes also.Like the look of Fraser a lot ,bit of the Doug Somner about him?.Also should be mentioned two outstanding saves from Fox,what a keeper.Not much silky football but good effort and a great result.

kinda disagree. So would you have gone if it had been £16? £15?

I reckon even if it had only been a tenner, the gate wouldn't have been more than a couple of hundred more.

No magic answer from me, but I reckon that the glib "it's too dear" is too often just an excuse.

This.

I got in a minute or two after kick-off, and the streets around Firhill were so quiet I even wondered if the game had been called off for some reason. Then I wondered whether a tenner to get in would have made any difference, and doubted it. I think that a lot of people just aren't interested these days, and trot out the "too dear" excuse too easily. Sure, there are also folk who genuinely don't have the cash these days, but others who say it's too dear will spend as much doing something else instead, so it just comes down to them losing interest in football at this level/Thistle.

As there have been a few posts recently about reserves matches many years ago, last night reminded me of those. In fact I reckon that there were probably as many punters as last night at the odd reserves match in the 60s.

1,001 is the crowd. Time to enforce fixed maximum prices for each division, or move to the summer. £17 on a freezing rainy tuesday in March fo SFL1 is no likely to get people away from the TV (Barcelona v Arsenal) or the cinema.

Do you really believe if magically the price last night was say £12 for an adult that a much larger crowd would've turned up? Also I think you'd find if this game had been played on an August Tuesday night, tho' the crowd may have been slightly larger, many would have found a convenient excuse to not be there.

Speaking from a personal point of view, the reason I never went last night is that I am tired of watching us play the same teams season in, season out. I know that I will be able to see Thistle v Queen Of The South at least four times next season if I wish and no doubt for the next three or four seasons at least.

I agree with the posters above who say it's too easy to blame the pricing. Had it had been a tenner or even less last night, I still wouldn't have went.

Scottish football is crying out for a new League set up. Had last night's game been a fixture in a League of sixteen, there would be every chance we would still be involved in either a relegation battle or the race for a playoff spot. As things are, there are far too many meaningless games against the same teams every season and I'm at the end of my tether. It's bordering on madness to part with nearly twenty quid on a miserable Tuesday night to watch a game of football on a ploughed field between two teams who play each other every couple of months. All credit to those who did bother to turn up though.

Still, Neil Doncaster has no doubt been watching Scottish football for far longer than the 19 years I have and clearly knows what he's talking about when he says sixteen team Leagues arn't the way forward.

That's put better than I did. It's the sheer repetitiveness that's the root problem.

Doesn't matter if the prices were near halved and it was a balmy night in June. It would still be the same old teams we play four or five times a season.

It is a major issue...I went last night & looked at the programme to see our next few fixtures,

Due to a holiday weekend (19/3/11) the next home game I will attend is...you guessed it...QotS at home!

It is a major issue...I went last night & looked at the programme to see our next few fixtures,

Due to a holiday weekend (19/3/11) the next home game I will attend is...you guessed it...QotS at home!

Another thing that can reduce turnout is the way we have 2 (sometimes even 3) away games in a row followed by one home game. OK sometimes you get a run of home games but the thing is, football attemdance is a habit. The habit's a bit easier to maintain if you're pretty sure what games you can attend with a few weeks notice - without having to go and consult a match fixture list every time. Not to mention if you then have to throw in random re-arranged games.

Even if you're one of the brave few who try to go to very game home and away you can be affected as a big run of away games can really hit the pocket. And if you're someone who tends only to go to home games, it's easy to lose track with a run of away games. I really can't see what advantage there is in having the current system.

OK it's maybe only a small factor but I'm sure it IS a factor in the lowering of attendances.