Just In...

Watson Towers

decent first half; pish poor second.

lovely cross from Paton for the first but I'm (ahem) not entirely convinced that Doolin actually meant to shoot.

Increasingly nervous in the 2nd 45 but Erskine finally did the business to make it 2-0. Jokes about Palmerston-style come-backs from Queens were no longer funny, though, when Fox seemed glued to his line to let them make it 2-1 with a few minutes to go.

Young fella with the high shorts soon eased the tension; 3-1 & goodnight.

Fox, again, was brilliant throughout that the 2nd half. One save in particular, low and to his left when a (Holmes?) thunderbolt, alreafy goal-bound, took a crazy skip just in front of the line just to make sure. Amazingly Fox got a really strong hand to it and turned it round the post. Honestly think that's the best save I've seen all season.

Grehan and Flannigan looked tired in the second half, Erskine was a bit wasteful throughout, and Boyle not quite up to his usual immaculate standards. Paton, Archie, Robbo, Fox and - in particular - Rowson, though, were all really strong.

1,001 - glad I took the weans; kept it in 4 figures!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queens are rotten.

That said Fox made a couple of very good saves and but for the last 10 minutes or so I reckon he was probably a good shout for MOTM.

Doolan's goal was a cracking one. Erskine's was slotted away nicely making-up for a below-par performance although he was crowded out quite a bit. Fraser's goal was well taken too, and he could easily have had a second.

We're no great shakes, but we'll be safe with what we've got.

How many times did we give the ball away tonight?

Apart from that - Rowser was great! Fox too, apart

from the goal maybe. Not surer who to blame for that.

Weather got a bit crazy about then, might have been a factor.

We gave the ball away a lot tonight. Gifting them possession at times.

The goal came about from one of our throw-ins, in their half. Boyle throws to Flannigan he passes the ball back on the bounce and Boyle passes it back on the bounce too. The ball wasn't on the deck even though they were about 5 yards apart. Queens then picked up the ball because we couldn't control a ball.

Poor crowd and atmosphere but that's to be expected considering other factors on the night.

Fox made some really important saves tonight. Erskine was poor, good finish for his goal but overall he was poor. I thought McGowan put in a good shift in the centre and would definitely keep him there for Saturday, regardless if Cairney is fit or not.

One thing that really frustrates me is the decision to keep Flannigan on the left when Erskine is playing in the middle. Why does Flannigan keep cutting in? because he has no left foot, like Paton. Play Erskine on the left and give the midfield a proper balance. At least when we're on the attack he'll try and beat his man and get to the byline, which is what you want from your wide players.

Highlight of the night was obviously Fraser's goal. Say what you want about their keeper but when you're at that angle your best bet is to always hit the ball early to try and catch the keeper out at the front post and that's what he done. Great to see.

Three goals and three very important points.

Edited by northernsoul

Not a great performance, but we did enough to win & were comfortably better than Queens who really are a bad team. They're performance was on a par with how they played a few weeks ago but managed to sneak a 3-3 draw.

Hodge was doing quite well before he went off, did alot of running & wanted the ball. Good player & hope he is back for Saturday.

I'm not sure about McGowan, he doesn't really go for headers & given his height he should win more headers than he loses. Didn't have a great game, with a bit more dig though, he would be a much better player. Not writing him off, just not a great game. Compare his performance to Rowson & Rowson was a million times better, great performance.

Robbo & Archie were solid, I like Kinniburgh, but I feel much more secure with Robbo playing. A couple of really good saves by Fox also.

I thought the goal that wasn't given for them was over the line (just), but was hard to tell.

Erskine took his goal really well, CM is an ok position for him, be he really doesn't know how to track back or defend from that position. Doolan's goal wasn't meant, if he had tried it he would probably have shanked it, but good goal anyway. Thought Grehan had another good game, Fraser was good when he came on too. Bad goalkeeping to let it in, but a powerful shot & good finish.

We've seen Dundee, Queens & Morton recently, there's no reason we can't finish 4th, as they're no better than us.

I don't see where McGowan fits into our team. He's no better or worse than anything we already have except maybe a long-throw. Not that it's any use given we're incredibly static at throw-ins.

On current form, I agree. He's built like Jamie Adams, but doesn't play anything like him, sadly. Adams wasn't a great footballer, but that's the way he played is what we need.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

Glad we won by two clear goals as I suspect Queens, who usually have an unofficial video man behind the goal. will have a still of the ball over the line.

Not going to carp on about individual errors as tonight was a night for keeping the ball on the deck but that's just as dangerous given the state of the pitch.

Think Grehan went off early in reaction to a twinge when he pulled up back late in the 1st half. He was doing fine but I was glad to see Fraser getting more than his customary five minutes.

Doolan would have been my MotM for a variety of reasons. I actually think he has the makings of a very intelligent footballer. I couldn't tho' argue with anyone who would opt instead for Rowson. Older players, particularly midfielders, are likely to show a bit of wear and tear playing two games in three days. Rowson was probably the fittest player on the park tonight. Only when he broke thru with minutes to go and laid the ball off to Fraser did he look dead on his feet.

Not really a statto myself but I wonder what Xavi's passing rate percentage would've been if he had to play in tonight's conditions and tonight's pitch. :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

WT, Erskine may well have been "a bit wasteful throughout" however, the game would have finished 1-1 without his contribution. In Erskine we have a player with a great, all be it, raw talent which should be embraced. He is capable of turning games by himself and there's no many others in the current squad you can say that about. It really bugs me when some people get on certain players back instead of encouraging them. How he saw that pass to Fraser for the last goal with that horizontal rain blasting straight at him I don't know.

For me Erskine is Thistle personified. Frustraiting and genius in equal measures.

I back The Bridge!

I was going to say it before the game and managed to restrain myself but Queen's really are a poor side. They robbed us down at Palmerston a couple weeks back and, for a brief few minutes tonight, I thought they were going to do it again but they deserved absolutely nothing from the game. They are a very predictable side and are nowhere near the team they were a season ago.

I thought we were quite comfortable winners tonight. The first goal was always going to be important and what a goal it was. Reminiscent of Kris Boyd's strike for the h*ns in the cup a few years back. Erskine was totally useless when he came on but scored a vital goal; kind of reflects his unpredictability, I suppose. Disappointing to concede such a scrappy goal but thankfully we restored the two goal lead quickly after with a good finish from young Fraser.

Good team performance. Rowson, McGowan and Doolan all had good games. Archibald and Robertson were solid and kept that big immobile lump Holmes quiet. Some of Boyle's distribution was a bit shaky but, other than that, he had a decent game. Flannigan flatters to deceive and is very predictable when running down the left-hand side; he is always going to cut inside onto his favoured right foot. Fraser played well when he came on and rarely wasted possession. He certainly has potential.

Good three points.

WT, Erskine may well have been "a bit wasteful throughout" however, the game would have finished 1-1 without his contribution. In Erskine we have a player with a great, all be it, raw talent which should be embraced. He is capable of turning games by himself and there's no many others in the current squad you can say that about. It really bugs me when some people get on certain players back instead of encouraging them. How he saw that pass to Fraser for the last goal with that horizontal rain blasting straight at him I don't know.

For me Erskine is Thistle personified. Frustraiting and genius in equal measures.

Spot on Partick Monkey. Erskine is talented and can be delightful one minute and frustrating the next....but I'd rather have him in the team week in and week !

1,001 - glad I took the weans; kept it in 4 figures!

Let's not forget but the lost revenue we could have anticipated from a Saturday game with Queens wasn't down to a weather postponement but that inane Challenge Cup. Don't make money when we're in the feckin' competition and have lost money even when we're out of it. :angry:

No way of knowing what are losses would have been but I'm sure Queens would have brought at least another couple of hundred of paying fans.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

He is incredibly frustrating, but so worth it for those moments of magic. Did you see how he controlled the ball that fell from about 40 feet in the air? Amazing.

I agree with Hot Shot. 2nd half was much more entertaining.

Champions League? You're having a laugh.

Most folk seem to be in agreement! QoS not very good, but we let them back into it in the 2nd half. Some excellent and important saves by Fox, who was actually the busier keeper! Rowson covered every pile of mud on the pitch. Erskine as enigmatic as ever.

But I thought that Boyle and Flannigan both had stinkers, especially in the 2nd half. Paton put in an excellent shift.

Could Fraser be that elusive striker that we need so badly.....?

I sat along in Section 7 in isolation with a mate and my phone off so I wouldn’t find out the Champions League score which I was taping. From where I was I can confirm 3 things…

Doolan never meant that goal, he was trying to loft it into the box as a cross.

The ball did not cross the line for Queens, it might have done had the goalmouth been grass and not mud but I didn’t even look like the ball touched the line.

Paul Paton put in an absolutely perfect cross with his left foot in the first half!

Fox made some brilliant saves, their goal was not his fault, it was a mix up between Boyle and somebody else and the ball trickled through to whoever scored for them. Erskine showed flashes of brilliance, I love watching him. Queens were a really poor side and their number 6 whoever he was was a muppet. They should have had a few more bookings.

Safety at last.

I sat along in Section 7 in isolation with a mate and my phone off so I wouldn’t find out the Champions League score which I was taping. From where I was I can confirm 3 things…

The ball did not cross the line for Queens, it might have done had the goalmouth been grass and not mud but I didn’t even look like the ball touched the line.

Paul Paton put in an absolutely perfect cross with his left foot in the first half!

Fox made some brilliant saves, their goal was not his fault, it was a mix up between Boyle and somebody else and the ball trickled through to whoever scored for them. Erskine showed flashes of brilliance, I love watching him. Queens were a really poor side and their number 6 whoever he was was a muppet. They should have had a few more bookings.

Safety at last.

Not yet!

7 points clear of cowdenbeth is not safety. Next two games are Raith and Falkirk away; if Cowden don’t pick up points then we have Cowden at home then away to Stirling on the Tuesday night. If we can win these two then I would say we are safe.

I have saw to many pish teams starting to pick up points when it comes to a relegation battle to write of Cowden.

Safety at last.

I saw that as well...i wasnt 100% sure that it actually happened so thanks for clarifying...

Edited by ifu03340

Let's not forget but the lost revenue we could have anticipated from a Saturday game with Queens wasn't down to a weather postponement but that inane Challenge Cup. Don't make money when we're in the feckin' competition and have lost money even when we're out of it. :angry:

No way of knowing what are losses would have been but I'm sure Queens would have brought at least another couple of hundred of paying fans.

Which wasn't even played then! Was postponed.

I back The Bridge!

Aggreed. I love watching erskine.

1000 fans.

Not tenable.

Ill be honest on a horrible wet night rather than paying 35 quid for me and the bird to go to firhill we watched arsenal barca!

If you had known it would only have been £34, would you have gone?

Some people may choose Barca on tv, but when the club needs every penny it can get, I don't agree with it. Only my opinion though, everyone's entitled to do as they wish.

The club cannot survive on crowds of not much over 2,000, never mind 1,000. Something will give, yes Scottish Football is fecked up, but it'll still be here if we go out of business. The SFA/SPL don't give a monkeys if some of the 'smaller clubs' die, they'd be quite happy to go with the same 10/12 teams in the SPL every season.

If you had known it would only have been £34, would you have gone?

Some people may choose Barca on tv, but when the club needs every penny it can get, I don't agree with it. Only my opinion though, everyone's entitled to do as they wish.

The club cannot survive on crowds of not much over 2,000, never mind 1,000. Something will give, yes Scottish Football is fecked up, but it'll still be here if we go out of business. The SFA/SPL don't give a monkeys if some of the 'smaller clubs' die, they'd be quite happy to go with the same 10/12 teams in the SPL every season.

Sorry I meant 34 quid.

In this climate (financial and also meteoroligcal) I would rather have watched a dvd at home than pay 34 quid to watch first division football.

After 15-20 odd years I cant find the energy or excitement to go any more.

Sad times

and by last nights attendence it was not just me

Sorry I meant 34 quid.

In this climate (financial and also meteoroligcal) I would rather have watched a dvd at home than pay 34 quid to watch first division football.

After 15-20 odd years I cant find the energy or excitement to go any more.

Sad times

and by last nights attendence it was not just me

Exactly, but said fans can't then blow a fuse (as they have in the past) if we're continually in debt & facing part-time football &/or administration.