Come In Boat Number 12, Yer Time's Up.

potty trained

So, who stays, who goes?

It's about now, when mid table nothingness is confirmed, that we look to next season, and how will the squad shape up.

Who's in and who's out?

In for next season:

Stuart Bannigan

Paul Cairney

Jamie Campbell

Kris Doolan

Chris Erskine

Scott Fox

Shaun Fraser

Martin Grehan

Chris Ketterer

Willie Kinniburgh

Jordan McGrotty

Ryan Scully

Contract expires at the end of this season:

Bryn Halliwell

Alan Archibald

Paddy Boyle

Keiran Burns

Iain Flannigan

Bryan Hodge

Kyle Lochhead

Ryan MacBeth

Ross McGeough

Paul Paton

John Robertson

David Rowson

Graeme Shepherd

Colin Stevenson

I haven't included Sid, Jackie, etc. As, as long as they are happy, they'll stay on?

You've got to imagine that McCall will only let Halliwell go, maybe Robertson. The rest he will try and sign up on (reduced/new) contracts?

Rumour has it, Hodge has signed a pre contract with Killie.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, who stays, who goes?

It's about now, when mid table nothingness is confirmed, that we look to next season, and how will the squad shape up.

Who's in and who's out?

In for next season:

Stuart Bannigan

Paul Cairney

Jamie Campbell

Kris Doolan

Chris Erskine

Scott Fox

Shaun Fraser

Martin Grehan

Chris Ketterer

Willie Kinniburgh

Jordan McGrotty

Ryan Scully

Contract expires at the end of this season:

Bryn Halliwell

Alan Archibald

Paddy Boyle

Keiran Burns

Iain Flannigan

Bryan Hodge

Kyle Lochhead

Ryan MacBeth

Ross McGeough

Paul Paton

John Robertson

David Rowson

Graeme Shepherd

Colin Stevenson

Stay, who are out of contract: Archibald, Robertson, Boyle, Paton, McGeough, Rowson, Hodge, Flannigan, Lochhead, MacBeth, Shepherd. Priorities should be: Rowson & Boyle. Hodge, Flannigan & Robbo just behind them in terms of current 1st team players.

The younger guys will be on low wages & certainly have potential. I think Robbo will leave, but if he's going to be replaced, we'll do well to get someone better than him at this level.

Cairney, as far as I'm concerned can find another club unless he gets his finger out & pronto.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

Rumour amongst a den full of crack addicts I presume? You must be jesting.. surely?

Have also heard this.

From the remaining uncontracted. Keep Rowson, Boyle, Paton. Not a huge Archie fan, but think we'd struggle to get better. Not in a position to judge the youngsters, and the remaining senior players as far as I'm concerned can go.

Hodge to Killie seems to be doing the rounds. The other old rumour that seems to have gained new life over the last couple of weeks is Paton to Motherwell.

I think of the guys we'd like to keep, the hardest to hang onto might be Boyle and Paton. It might be advisable to try to hang on to Robertson as he can play full back on either wing and we may end up needing this cover. Personally I think he's got another season in him but he may leave for his own reasons, e.g. if player-coach was offered by another club.

One worry is that of the youngsters that have got a run out, only McGeogh is rated as a defender (and the club seem to see him being more of a wing-back/wide midfield now) - so although some like Fraser, MacBeth, Bannigan and Campbell may be useful squad members next season, they are all midfield or forward players. Unless some young defenders are blooded between now and the end of season, I think we'll see some loan players (along the lines of Baltoni and McGowan) being brought in for cover in this area.

In passing, the OS mentions giving Tommy Stewart a run-out with a view to maybe signing him next season. From what I've seen of his record, he may be a decent player but he doesn't score enough goals and surely can't be what we need. Can McCall not dig out another wee gem from the lower leagues?

Edited by Mr Bunny

• Members

I can't see Balatoni getting neat Hearts first team squad next season, so I wouldn't mind seeing Thistle offer him and Hearts another loan deal and letting Robbo go.

I think Sid and Jackie have ran their race now as far as the playing side is concerned and I'd be happier to see Archie and Rowser stay on in a Player/Coach role and let those two find their first Club to manage.

Stay, who are out of contract: Archibald, Robertson, Boyle, Paton, McGeough, Rowson, Hodge, Flannigan, Lochhead, MacBeth, Shepherd. Priorities should be: Rowson & Boyle. Hodge, Flannigan & Robbo just behind them in terms of current 1st team players.

The younger guys will be on low wages & certainly have potential. I think Robbo will leave, but if he's going to be replaced, we'll do well to get someone better than him at this level.Cairney, as far as I'm concerned can find another club unless he gets his finger out & pronto.

Spot on for me. We will discard Robbo at our peril. If he chooses to go of his own volition, however...

I also agree with the comment here on Cairney.

I can't see Balatoni getting neat Hearts first team squad next season, so I wouldn't mind seeing Thistle offer him and Hearts another loan deal and letting Robbo go.

I think Sid and Jackie have ran their race now as far as the playing side is concerned and I'd be happier to see Archie and Rowser stay on in a Player/Coach role and let those two find their first Club to manage.

You need cover for the back. This season we had Balatoni and MacNamara - and to some extent McGowan though we didn't need to use him there - so we'd need at least two players. As I said, two loan players at least and I'd be OK with keeping Robbo as despite his stinker against Cowdenbeath he's still one of our best defenders (and was fit enough to play wing back against Stirling). He's also versatile, as we've seen and can cover for either full back and do a defensive midfield job.

Cairney like Corcoran last season should be told to try and find a new club. Either we get rid of him or it might give him a boot up the arse and do him the world of good like it did for Boyle. I wouldn't be too fussed if Hodge has signed a pre-contract with Kilmarnock either. He's been a lot better recently but the midfield has been absolutely fine without him at Kirkcaldy and Stirling. Rowson offers more than him defensively and I reckon Flannigan is much more of an attacking threat than him.

If getting those 2 off the wage bill allowed us to keep Rowson, Flannigan, Archie, Paton and perhaps allowed Bannigan, MacBeth and other youngsters a chance and maybe sign a striker with the savings from the 2 wages I think it would be a decent bit of business.

Cairney like Corcoran last season should be told to try and find a new club. Either we get rid of him or it might give him a boot up the arse and do him the world of good like it did for Boyle. I wouldn't be too fussed if Hodge has signed a pre-contract with Kilmarnock either. He's been a lot better recently but the midfield has been absolutely fine without him at Kirkcaldy and Stirling. Rowson offers more than him defensively and I reckon Flannigan is much more of an attacking threat than him.

If getting those 2 off the wage bill allowed us to keep Rowson, Flannigan, Archie, Paton and perhaps allowed Bannigan, MacBeth and other youngsters a chance and maybe sign a striker with the savings from the 2 wages I think it would be a decent bit of business.

While I'd like to think Cairney and Hodge could come good for us - since they seemed such promising players when we first saw them - I'd agree that midfield is where we can afford to let some players go. As you say, we did fine without them last few games and most of the younth who've had soom some (went all northern there for a moment) good game time (Bannigan, Campbell, MacBeth) are all midfield players so we already have good cover there. The only thing I'd worry about would be losing Rowson and we should do our best to re-sign him.

Priorities are defence and front line. It's worrying that both Boyle and Paton's contracts are up at the same time as it would be difficult to replace both of them. And we need to get a decent forward in.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I think we have the making of a squad that can win this league, if we can add a little bit extra quality. This is going to be difficult given the further cutbacks going to be made.

Must keep are Alan Archibald, Paddy Boyle, Paul Paton, David Rowson.

Not sure what to do regarding Iain Flannigan or John Robertson.

I think McCall will do everything he can to keep the bulk of the players under 25 years old. Losing Sid & McNamara won't free up much cash as we're told they're on a pittance so I can see Robbo and maybe Rowson or Archie leaving. In my view, of Boyle, Cairney, Hodge & Paton we should put the emphasis on holding on to Boyle. Good left sided players are hard to find. We're fortunate that Bannigan can replace Hodge and McGeough replace Paton (as a wingback anyway). Imo Campbell could be a good replacement for Cairney tho' McCall might want to play Jamie out wide. Everything I've seen of Campbell, including last night, looks like he could be starting games soon.

Who's in and who's out?

Bryn Halliwell (already gone)

Alan Archibald (In)

Paddy Boyle (Hope he signs a new deal)

Keiran Burns (What's happened to him? Hope he gets a new deal)

Iain Flannigan (Out...ok player but annonymous all too often)

Kyle Lochhead (Keep)

Ryan MacBeth (Definately keep)

Ross McGeough (Keep)

Paul Paton (Wont sign a new deal)

John Robertson (Think he will decide to go, but Id keep him)

David Rowson (keep as a priority)

Graeme Shepherd (Keep)

Colin Stevenson (keep)

Hodge has signed a pre contract with Killie (he was nearly away to Killie in Jan, but they wouldn't/couldn't pay any fee, even a nominal one like we got for Buchanan).

Feel we need to keep hold of our younger players, particularly MacBeth. Think Rowson is vital, gota get him signed up. Boyle is another who we'd struggle to replace and the improvement in him this year has been superb..hope he signs a new deal. Archie and Robbo are in the same category and I think 1 of the 2 will go.

Next seasons team is gona have a helluva lot of youngsters in it so McCall needs to think hard about the senior players he wants to keep who can help the youngsters progress. Archie, Rowser and Robertson along wi Jaggy and Sid (if they stay on in their current capacity at current wages) should do it.

Edited by Steven H

We need to hold on to Boyle and Rowson.

I'd like to hold onto one of Robbo/Archie.

I don't care much about the rest assuming Paton's position can be covered by a youngster. Average midfielders are ten a penny so we might as well replace our average midfielders with others and hopefully the new ones will prove more useful than Hodge, Cairney and Flannigan.

I think we have the making of a squad that can win this league, if we can add a little bit extra quality. This is going to be difficult given the further cutbacks going to be made.

Must keep are Alan Archibald, Paddy Boyle, Paul Paton, David Rowson.

Not sure what to do regarding Iain Flannigan or John Robertson.

My thoughts exactly and McCall's budget will be even tighter next season. Beattie will not budget for a loss and the youth set-up could be a casualty. Holding onto Boyle would be my number one priority before Robertson and Archie. My guess is that Paton, Boyle and, possibly, Hodge have been offered deals but have not signed them. I expect McGeogh, McBeth and Lochead to be retained. I am not sure why Burns has not featured much this season. Grehan and Cairney can go but it will cost us money to terminate their contracts a year early. We should remember that SPL teams will have tight budgets too and we could pick up some good bargains.

My thoughts exactly and McCall's budget will be even tighter next season. Beattie will not budget for a loss and the youth set-up could be a casualty. Holding onto Boyle would be my number one priority before Robertson and Archie. My guess is that Paton, Boyle and, possibly, Hodge have been offered deals but have not signed them. I expect McGeogh, McBeth and Lochead to be retained. I am not sure why Burns has not featured much this season. Grehan and Cairney can go but it will cost us money to terminate their contracts a year early. We should remember that SPL teams will have tight budgets too and we could pick up some good bargains.

Agree completely with your thoughts. Boyle would be top priority for me then Paton. How sure are those who are talking about Paton being away? Would be bad news if true. Does anyone know if Neil McGregor of Dunfermline plays at right back, seems he has not been getting much of a game with them and a few Pars fans seem to think he should have been and his contract is up with them in the summer. I cant remember though if he is a right back or not. Heres hoping we can tempt Paton to stay.

I would be happy for Paton to go to Motherwell. He's a liability defensively and his crossing is worse than shite. He's been caught making gestures towards our fans on numerous occasions and he strikes me as having a "billy big time" attitude. I'm pretty sure he stalled a fair bit before signing his last contract after he heard there was SPL interest in him.

He would be hopelessly out of his depth in the SPL and if that was to help in dragging Motherwell into a relegation battle next season, then all the better.

Keeping Paddy should be our number one priority. We've been lucky with left backs over recent years and, although he took a while to settle, I would say Boyle is in contention for our Player of the Year. Probably the most consistent player in the team.

I would expect Archie to be retained. McCall has said on a number of occasions that he believes him to be the best centre half in the league which, I suppose, is up for debate. That said, on his day, there's not another centre half I'd rather have in the team. He knows what it takes to win a league aswell.

Would love to keep Paton but fear he might be for the off. I gave him a bit of a bollocking last year when there were rumours that he was hankering for a move but he's been excellent this season. If a bigger club comes in for him then best of luck, he's been a good player for us.

You have to wonder how much Rowson has left in the tank. I would have doubts if we could rely on him as heavily as we do for much longer. He's a model professional though and certainly worth keeping around.

Would imagine Halliwell, Robertson, Flannigan and Hodge will be offski, along with Kieran "The Invisible Man" Burns.

Shepherd will probably be kept on. I hope we give Stevenson another year since he's missed the whole season with an injury. From what McCall has been saying about McGeough - thinking he'll be better at right mid - it sounds like he'll get another deal. Not sure about Lochhead or MacBeth.

If Cairney doesn't turn up for pre-season training considerably lighter and with a better attitude, he can do one. Total waste of space this season.

My thoughts exactly and McCall's budget will be even tighter next season. Beattie will not budget for a loss and the youth set-up could be a casualty.

That would be a false economy - and the proof of what I say is shown by this list: Bannigan, Campbell, McGeogh, MacBeth, Fraser. (Unfortunately I can't argue with you about what the board will do, they've a long record of making "economies" which cost the club a lot more in the long term).

We should remember that SPL teams will have tight budgets too and we could pick up some good bargains.

Good point - and SFL teams too. Probably more chance of picking up someone from our own league but as long as they can do a job for us, fine.

Edited by Mr Bunny

It was stated by David and the manager at recent meetings that the Club would be investing more in youth development next season, which is something I am glad about.

McCall in tonight's ET

I had a meeting with the board yesterday. In my opinion, we have got the makings of a really good team that has got a bit of flair in it and could play the way we want to.

“It is whether we can keep it together. The good thing for me is that the experience we have got is the right type of experience, with the likes of Alan Archibald and David Rowson.

I interpreted that as he wants to retain Rowson & Archie.

From the meet the manager night I got the impression he wanted to keep Rowson and Archie whilst Robertson maybe didn't have a future at the club (he didn't come right out and say it but his lack of enthusiasm compared to when talking about others suggested it to me).

In fact I got the impression he reckoned Rowson had a good couple of seasons left in him.