Just In

1 John Lambie

I noticed some comments on the game in one of the other threads, but felt the performance deserved a thread of its own.

The 1st half we were outstanding, Grehan's passes for all 3 goals were excellent. He didn't win as much in the air as usual, but with the ball at his feet today he was outstanding. Erskine took his goals very well, the 1 2 for the 1st goal was brilliant, followed by a very composed finish. Grehan's cross for the 2nd was also excellent, as was his pass through to Doolan for the 3rd (also a very good finish by Doolan).

Rowson's energy is phenomenal. Campbell was good, lost the ball a few times, but arries the ball well & is strong, impressed with his 1st start. Doolan never stopped running & the defence was solid. Cairney was ok, still not got a 1st touch, but suppose he did not bad for his 1st game in a while. Possibly looked fitter?

For me, 3-2 flattered Falkirk, they are honking (& have been in every game we've played them).

The ref did his best to let Falkirk back into the game in the 2nd half, some bemusing decisions to say the least.

McCall's after match reaction:

“I’ve said this before, but it is worth repeating. I think that we have the makings of a right good team here. So far, from the players that I want to keep here I’ve managed to secure all but one of them. There are a few others that I want to keep as well and if I can do that then I think we can look forward to next season with some optimism.”

Rowson has to be offered a new deal, no ifs or buts.

I noticed some comments on the game in one of the other threads, but felt the performance deserved a thread of its own.

The 1st half we were outstanding, Grehan's passes for all 3 goals were excellent. He didn't win as much in the air as usual, but with the ball at his feet today he was outstanding. Erskine took his goals very well, the 1 2 for the 1st goal was brilliant, followed by a very composed finish. Grehan's cross for the 2nd was also excellent, as was his pass through to Doolan for the 3rd (also a very good finish by Doolan).

Rowson's energy is phenomenal. Campbell was good, lost the ball a few times, but arries the ball well & is strong, impressed with his 1st start. Doolan never stopped running & the defence was solid. Cairney was ok, still not got a 1st touch, but suppose he did not bad for his 1st game in a while. Possibly looked fitter?

For me, 3-2 flattered Falkirk, they are honking (& have been in every game we've played them).

The ref did his best to let Falkirk back into the game in the 2nd half, some bemusing decisions to say the least.

“I’ve said this before, but it is worth repeating. I think that we have the makings of a right good team here. So far, from the players that I want to keep here I’ve managed to secure all but one of them. There are a few others that I want to keep as well and if I can do that then I think we can look forward to next season with some optimism.”

You're right to underline Grehan's performance. I forgot to mention it in another thread, but yes his cross for Erskine's header was inch-perfect.

First time I've seen us win there. Looking forward to a nice glass or two of Chateau Jaggernaut2 ce soir.

2Whatever cheap plonk is in the hoose.

Edited by Jaggernaut

I think the typing up of McCall's comments got a bit muddled here. One more he wants to sign but he wants to sign a few more?? I think he must hope to sign 2-3 at least. Archie is one he'll want, Rowson's essential and he might want either Hodge of Flannigan.

I think the typing up of McCall's comments got a bit muddled here. One more he wants to sign but he wants to sign a few more?? I think he must hope to sign 2-3 at least. Archie is one he'll want, Rowson's essential and he might want either Hodge of Flannigan.

I took the 1 he wanted to be Boyle.

I took the 1 he wanted to be Boyle.

I'd been assuming he's gone but of course McCall probably still hopes he might be able to do some kind of deal.

But my point was that there was something of a mish-mash in the typing of his coments (on the OS I looked at it there too) and he can't possibly be saying he only wants one more when there are two essential players in Archie and Rowson still not signed.

I'd been assuming he's gone but of course McCall probably still hopes he might be able to do some kind of deal.

But my point was that there was something of a mish-mash in the typing of his coments (on the OS I looked at it there too) and he can't possibly be saying he only wants one more when there are two essential players in Archie and Rowson still not signed.

So far, from the players that we've offered deals to, I’ve managed to secure all but one of them. There are a few others that I want to keep as well and if I can do that then I think we can look forward to next season with some optimism.

I know that the official site has been edited since 1JL and you read it, but I took it to mean what it says now to begin with.

Edited by twinny

Is Hodge of Flannigan like Vennegoor of Hesselink?

Well after a moan about the quality of the game last week thought it'd only be fair to come on and praise the team this time, entertaining stuff on a nice surface with some nervy moments but a well deserved win in the end for us, Pressley must stay... :thumbsup2:

Other thing of note, why on earth charge £15.50 & £10.25 for admission leading to people fumbling around for change call it £16 & £10 or better £15 & £10.

Excellent performance today especially the first half in which we were immense. Grehan had a great match and set up the 3 goals playing in Erskine with a neat 1-2 for the first, then firing over a pinpoint cross for Erskine to nod home. In the 2nd half he played a great ball through for Doolan who calmly slotted it under the keeper. Wouldnt be Thistle if we didnt concede so quickly after getting our third and then gifting them a goal with some keystone cop defending. Although young Campbell was caught out a couple of times he had a solid match and deserves another start. The rest of the team all get above average marks and Grehan imo was mom.

Was great sitting in the sunshine and watching the match makes me yearn for summer football. One more thing dunno if its been mentioned elsewhere in the thread or the forum but Boyle is apparently signing for Dunfermline.

Is Hodge of Flannigan like Vennegoor of Hesselink?

I hope so ... that typo came out so well I'm actually not embarrassed by it. I think I'll start calling him H of F from now on. (or Hoffie).

Twinny ... ta, that makes it clearer, 1JL must have wondered what I was on about. (So did I).

Well deserved three points.

We were excellent in the first half, probably one of the best halves I've seen us play this season. The first goal was brilliant play from Erskine, lovely one-two with the outstanding Grehan and an almost nonchalant finish past the keeper. The second goal was all about Grehan, for me. A pinpoint cross with the outside of his foot and Erskine again finished well. Very composed finish from Doolan for the third and, from there, it should have been a case of just seeing the game out. Enter Iain Brines. Balatoni clearly won the ball yet was penalised for a foul. From the subsequent free-kick, Falkirk scored a scrappy goal which seemed nothing more than a mere consolation. However, Falkirk gained the ascendency, helped in no small part by some bizarre refereeing (for example, Paddy kicked the ball off a Falkirk player and the linesman gave a Falkirk throw), but were leaving gaps all over the pitch which we could, and probably should, have exploited. Then, with five minutes left, Paddy makes a mistake with a header and Finnigan rounds Fox and scores. A lot tighter than it should have been and I agree the result flattered Falkirk but we would have only had ourselves to blame had we left with anything less than three points.

Grehan was excellent but no doubt the usual morons will be on here to denounce the guy's efforts and try to convince people that he really is, in fact, rubbish. Lost very little in the air all day and set up all three goals. I couldn't give a flying **** if he never scores again - if he plays like that regularly, he'll be in the team every week and rightly so. Campbell had a good game considering he wasn't playing in his natural position. He got forward well, used the ball effectively and was relatively solid throughout. Erskine had one of those games that make you excuse his rotten preceding performances; he is an enigma and, when he turns it on, he's almost unplayable at this level. Doolan is just a very impressive all-round player; he's clever, his link-up play is good, he tracks back well, he's decent in the air and he knows how to finish. Cairney had a pretty solid return and Rowson put in his usual tireless shift.

After sitting in the Falkirk end, it is evident that they do not like Twads. They don't utilise him the way we did and, subsequently, they don't get the same performances. I'd have Twads back in a minute and, if Paddy does leave, he'd be high up on my list to replace him. Falkirk just seem very lackadaisical, little movement off the ball apart from Flynn who was their best player today, in my opinion.

Bring on round two.

Edited by Armand2

Well deserved three points.

We were excellent in the first half, probably one of the best halves I've seen us play this season. The first goal was brilliant play from Erskine, lovely one-two with the outstanding Grehan and an almost nonchalant finish past the keeper. The second goal was all about Grehan, for me. A pinpoint cross with the outside of his foot and Erskine again finished well. Very composed finish from Doolan for the third and, from there, it should have been a case of just seeing the game out. Enter Iain Brines. Balatoni clearly won the ball yet was penalised for a foul. From the subsequent free-kick, Falkirk scored a scrappy goal which seemed nothing more than a mere consolation. However, Falkirk gained the ascendency, helped in no small part by some bizarre refereeing (for example, Paddy kicked the ball off a Falkirk player and the linesman gave a Falkirk throw), but were leaving gaps all over the pitch which we could, and probably should, have exploited. Then, with five minutes left, Paddy makes a mistake with a header and Finnigan rounds Fox and scores. A lot tighter than it should have been and I agree the result flattered Falkirk but we would have only had ourselves to blame had we left with anything less than three points.

Grehan was excellent but no doubt the usual morons will be on here to denounce the guy's efforts and try to convince people that he really is, in fact, rubbish. Lost very little in the air all day and set up all three goals. I couldn't give a flying **** if he never scores again - if he plays like that regularly, he'll be in the team every week and rightly so. Campbell had a good game considering he wasn't playing in his natural position. He got forward well, used the ball effectively and was relatively solid throughout. Erskine had one of those games that make you excuse his rotten preceding performances; he is an enigma and, when he turns it on, he's almost unplayable at this level. Doolan is just a very impressive all-round player; he's clever, his link-up play is good, he tracks back well, he's decent in the air and he knows how to finish. Cairney had a pretty solid return and Rowson put in his usual tireless shift.

After sitting in the Falkirk end, it is evident that they do not like Twads. They don't utilise him the way we did and, subsequently, they don't get the same performances. I'd have Twads back in a minute and, if Paddy does leave, he'd be high up on my list to replace him. Falkirk just seem very lackadaisical, little movement off the ball apart from Flynn who was their best player today, in my opinion.

Bring on round two.

I've said this before but when Grehan came to the club he stated his main attribute was setting up chances for others. Of course we want to see him score but by the sounds of things he had a great game today and I hope he gets the praise he deserves tonight. McCall certainly gave him a glowing review after the match, as have you m8.

Other thing of note, why on earth charge £15.50 & £10.25 for admission

No real problems with any club adding the vat increase on, even if their increase is slightly above true level. Agree tho' that not having prices rounded up or down to an exact £ could, if the away crowd was larger, cause hold ups at the gate.

Balatoni clearly won the ball yet was penalised for a foul. From the subsequent free-kick, Falkirk scored

Sorry for the selective quote, Armand2, from a post that was otherwise mainly my view of things as well. I thought the ref actually penalised Campbell for the foul an instant or so before Balatoni got involved. In other words he was playing advantage rule at the time of Balatoni's challenge.

After we scored to go 3 up,a passionate Grehan ran to fans to ask for more or to keep up the support.

McCall is gently slating him by saying he's so laid back. He certainly didn't look that way just after the third goal. I wonder if that's been what's been holding the lad back :unsure: . Perhaps coming from a part time environment, where you don't need to take the game quite so seriously, is the one aspect he's been slow to adjust to. He certainly has adjusted to the rigours of full time football from both the physical and stamina point of view so maybe it's been the mental attitude side of things that's held him back.

Grehan's best games imo have been at Palmerston (2nd game) & yesterday. On both occasions few could argue he wouldn't have made a worthy MotM. He also put in a decent showing at McDiarmid Pk in the Cup. It's a pity in a way that these performances were away from home.

Totally agree with you armand2, and thanks for the good summing up. Agree with you about grehan. A lot of thistle fans are nutbags at games, get on players backs, boo them and shout about how sh1t they are - How's this going to help? I remember when i stayed in glasgow and went to games, i always had some idiot within 10-15 feet of me who done my nut in the whole game. We should be encouraging our players on, not barracking them for abuse. Save that for the away team and Elvis and his brown suede shoes

I wonder if there are many on here who don't have a nutter 10-15 feet away from them. That's one of the greatest benefits of terracing. You can always move away or, if you're not in such a conciliatory mood, creep round the back of the guy and politely strangle him :thumbsup2: .