Who Would You Like To Sign?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was told today we offered Stuart McCaffrey a contract - 2 year deal.

He would have liked to have signed for us but he got a 2 year contract extension/offer from Morton & they were willing to offer him an extra £14k/year.

Edited by ifu03340

Was told today we offered Stuart McCaffrey a contract - 2 year deal.

He would have liked to have signed for us but he got a 2 year contract extension/offer from Morton & they were willing to offer him an extra £14k/year.

Sounds hardly likely - if true then I can see them signing a bunch of very good players and challenging for promotion. Sure you got the figure right?

Sounds hardly likely - if true then I can see them signing a bunch of very good players and challenging for promotion. Sure you got the figure right?

Yes - the offer we gave him was paltry - I didnt believe it at first to be honest. That figure above was our first offer...Our final offer was something like £11k off the final position he negotiated to with Morton

Looks like a 2 year deal as well. It's a bit disconcerting hearing that County have cash to splash.

Wouldn't take any of the St Johnstone cast offs to be honest. Danny Invincible would score goals at our level but his fitness would be an issue.

They must have made upwards of £500K last season, with their defeat of the tims in the semi-final then their Cup Final appearance against the Arabs.

with budgets being so tight i dont expect Jags to make any significant signings. The present squad, free transfers, of low quality and loans will all we can do. I think next season could be similar to this one just gone. Always flirting with relegation, but surviving,

with budgets being so tight i dont expect Jags to make any significant signings. The present squad, free transfers, of low quality and loans will all we can do. I think next season could be similar to this one just gone. Always flirting with relegation, but surviving,

I disagree, the 3 teams who finished above us and are still in the division will see a number of their best players leave and Hamilton are getting rid of players as well. We will be going with mainly the same team who were a match for everyone else in the second half of the season and the younger players will have a bit more experience as well. A lot of clubs used the last couple of seasons to make that big push for promotion whilst we have been cutting our cloth and I think that will stand us in good stead as the cuts we make in our budget will not be as severe as others have to make.

If we'd started the season anywhere near the form that we showed in the final few months then we could have been challenging for promotion. We definitely finished on the up, with the defence looking solid, Grehan and Doolan working well together, Erskine showing more and more of what he has the potential to do and scoring into the bargain, and several promising youngsters starting to look the part. Since Buchanan left, we haven't lost any significant players. So even two or three good uns will help the cause. They don't have to be big names or stars (yet), but significant in the longer term, yes!

Edited by Jaggernaut

I thing McLaren could do a right job for us - hated the little sod, but forgive and forget (as long as he's good for us!)...

Does anyone know how extensive Jackie Mac's knowledge of lower league football is? I'm not sure if he's heard of half the names being bandied about. I feel that he will be looking to poach younger loan / freed players from SPL clubs, or will have to rely on other people to make value calls about 1st/2nd/3rd Div players.

...which would make it even more important to keep Rowson on board. Then we would have experienced players available to coach on all areas of the pitch:

Hinchcliffe - Goalies

Jackie Mac / Maxwell - Defence

Rowson - Midfield

Donnelly - (ahem) Attack

Wise old heads passing on the tricks of the trade to young, eager (and cheap) players out to make a name for themselves.

I thing McLaren could do a right job for us - hated the little sod, but forgive and forget (as long as he's good for us!)...

Does anyone know how extensive Jackie Mac's knowledge of lower league football is? I'm not sure if he's heard of half the names being bandied about. I feel that he will be looking to poach younger loan / freed players from SPL clubs, or will have to rely on other people to make value calls about 1st/2nd/3rd Div players.

The scouting network that brought us players like Doolan and Erskine is still in place, and I imagine there are plenty of young managers in the country (UK) that Jackie has worked with during his playing career.

The scouting network that brought us players like Doolan and Erskine is still in place, and I imagine there are plenty of young managers in the country (UK) that Jackie has worked with during his playing career.

I'm sure he'll be using the network that's in place, but I'd imagine that - as a new manager out to prove himself - he will feel the need to take more resposibility on deciding new players, so as to show he's up to the job of identifying talent.

He's always played at at a higher level than us until recently, and writing his sitcom / honing his acting skills will have been on the background as well - hence the possible lack of personal knowledge of players we are talking about here.

Hopefully, he'll be able to bring in a BETTER class of player that the ones we're talking about!

Edited by cleveland steamer

Anyone else heard about possible loan interest in Norwich City youngsters?

Gary Holt apparently involved in trying to get academy graduates some experience up north.

It would make sense as McNamara will know Lambert very well. I would expect him to use his other Celtic connections too.

Regarding McNamara's connections who has he worked with/under that he could use to bring players in?

McCarthy at Wolves

Lambert at Norwich

Mackay at Watford

Stubbs is a youth coach at Everton

Lennon at Celtic

Brown at Aberdeen (through the national team)

McCoist at Rangers (through the national team)

Calderwood at Hibs (went to France 98 together)

Am I missing anyone? I'd imagine Wolves and Norwich will have some youngsters who they can't really risk throwing in at the deep end in the Premier League who might benefit from a loan spell.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

The Jobbie when he got the managers role made a big play on how well he knew David Moyes and how we would be getting players from Everton as far as I can remember we got one - the Midget who only played a couple of games and that was it

I thank you brother for not even mentioning that little wasters name. Iam shortly going for my lunch and wish to enjoy same without anything to upset me. :angry: