Montrose Defender

Lindau

This intrigues me, too. I'm sure the board wouldn't hesitate to make a big realistic signing if they thought it would pay for itself.

Me too. In addition, how many big(ish) name signings have we made over the years that have excited the fans and actually delivered the goods? Off the top of my head we have Cadete, Bonnes, Fulton, Lovell and the never to be seen in a Jags shirt Dodds (in the closing stages of his career as opposed to the young Dodds from the 80s) and McAvennie. All relatively exciting signings, all failed to deliver the goods.

Now compare that to the underwhelming signings who have proven to be good players for us. Harkins, Buchanan, Doolan, Boyle, Erskine, Cairney to name just a few of the recent ones.

Im sure there are more for each category but these are just off the top of my head.

Seriously Lenny what planet are you on....... I think you will find that we all buy Season Tickets because we really like the Jags and wsnt them to do well however if you wish to boost Season Ticket sales then you really need to come up with something slightly different than the Season before. Speculate to accumulate does not always mean that you have to bankrupt yourself just give the fans a signing that is better than we already have and there are a few players out there. 100 extra season tickets over the season generates £28,000 and that sometimes could be down to who you buy and more important show the intent you have for the season ahead.

Youth alone will not increase sales in fact basically keeping the same squad that sat in mid table mediocrity and sometimes flirted with relegation is not the best sales pitch by any team. I do think that we will have one of the weakest squads for some time at Firhill and that is more to do with the ability to compete week on week with most of the other squads in the First Division. I do not doubt the ability of some of the younger players in the squad its just the ability to do it over the season as the difference now is we will be relying on more of them more of the time.

And yes I did buy a season ticket why......Coz Im a Jag and always will be

P.s. I suppose it could be worse and you could be the Queen of the South Manager trawling the car park at the Holiday Inn Express, Strathclyde Country Park randomly asking anybody who loooks like they play football if they want a trial

Me too. In addition, how many big(ish) name signings have we made over the years that have excited the fans and actually delivered the goods? Off the top of my head we have Cadete, Bonnes, Fulton, Lovell and the never to be seen in a Jags shirt Dodds (in the closing stages of his career as opposed to the young Dodds from the 80s) and McAvennie. All relatively exciting signings, all failed to deliver the goods.

Now compare that to the underwhelming signings who have proven to be good players for us. Harkins, Buchanan, Doolan, Boyle, Erskine, Cairney to name just a few of the recent ones.

Im sure there are more for each category but these are just off the top of my head.

A couple of excellent points there.

Without knowing the exact budget, or what it's cost to resign people, it's hard to say what a 'realistic' signing is.

Maybe the selling point this season isn't the excitement of bringing on someone new, it's the excitement of keeping on guys like Doolan, Rowser, Erskine and Fox.

On the other hand, does any of this six-figure deal with macb go toward the playing budget? Or does it all go toward the debt?

Seriously Lenny what planet are you on....... I think you will find that we all buy Season Tickets because we really like the Jags and wsnt them to do well however if you wish to boost Season Ticket sales then you really need to come up with something slightly different than the Season before. Speculate to accumulate does not always mean that you have to bankrupt yourself just give the fans a signing that is better than we already have and there are a few players out there. 100 extra season tickets over the season generates £28,000 and that sometimes could be down to who you buy and more important show the intent you have for the season ahead.

Youth alone will not increase sales in fact basically keeping the same squad that sat in mid table mediocrity and sometimes flirted with relegation is not the best sales pitch by any team. I do think that we will have one of the weakest squads for some time at Firhill and that is more to do with the ability to compete week on week with most of the other squads in the First Division. I do not doubt the ability of some of the younger players in the squad its just the ability to do it over the season as the difference now is we will be relying on more of them more of the time.

And yes I did buy a season ticket why......Coz Im a Jag and always will be

P.s. I suppose it could be worse and you could be the Queen of the South Manager trawling the car park at the Holiday Inn Express, Strathclyde Country Park randomly asking anybody who loooks like they play football if they want a trial

Excellent post Ruchillnomore. We are all jags fans and want the best for the club but is it too much to ask the directors to give us a wee bit of hope by giving us a signing that might excite the fans, even a wee bit (and I dont mean Neil McCann)

What do you want them to do ?

Serious question, you and a few others have been greeting and whining for the last couple of weeks about "big" signings , who do you want them to sign that would excite you ?

Who mentioned `big` signings? One signing that most of us would agree would enhance the squad will do in the current climate. It`s a worse place out there for professional footballers (at our level) than it is for most and deals can be done. The important thing is employment.

Everyone accepts we`re skint.....we`ve had this stuck down our throat for some time now, but surely our combined directorship can come up with the money for one player who might brighten up things a bit.

In answer to your last point, for me it would be a striker but a big club (Ross County) beat us to McMenamin and he`d have been my choice.

A serious question for you, how many extra season tickets will be sold on the basis of signings to date? (inc proposed signings).

Excellent post Ruchillnomore. We are all jags fans and want the best for the club but is it too much to ask the directors to give us a wee bit of hope by giving us a signing that might excite the fans, even a wee bit (and I dont mean Neil McCann)

Exellant post, well lets agree to disagree.

So far , despite a good few asking , none of the guys who want this so called signing to "excite the fans" have came up with any names !!! Oh wait, we have McMenamin.

Some have indicated that season ticket sales will benefit if we make this signing. Who is the magical signing? Maybe a certain individual will "excite" you, of Ruchillnomore or Heb Jag, but who is to say it will "excite" anyone else. Also who is to say it will generate this increase in season tickets?

You, Ruchillnomore and Heb Jag seem to want to speak for me. Well I don't need a signing to get "excited" about the jags, and the point I made, was that I did not need it to buy a season ticket.

Fair enough if you all want this signing (who ever the hell it may be) and want to have the same old boring dig at the board for not providing it, but i (in the real world Ruchillnomore), to get excited about the new season, don't need it.

Edited by lennythistle

Exellant post, well lets agree to disagree.

So far , despite a good few asking , none of the guys who want this so called signing to "excite the fans" have came up with any names !!! Oh wait, we have McMenamin.

Some have indicated that season ticket sales will benefit if we make this signing. Who is the magical signing? Maybe a certain individual will "excite" you, of Ruchillnomore or Heb Jag, but who is to say it will "excite" anyone else. Also who is to say it will generate this increase in season tickets?

You, Ruchillnomore and Heb Jag seem to want to speak for me. Well I don't need a signing to get "excited" about the jags, and the point I made, was that I did not need it to buy a season ticket.

Fair enough if you all want this signing (who ever the hell it may be) and want to have the same old boring dig at the board for not providing it, but i (in the real world Ruchillnomore), to get excited about the new season, don't need it.

Whilst we`re asking questions here`s some.......between Partick Thistle and Ross County fans, who will be the more optimistic and excited about the coming season?

When did Ross County fans start supporting a bigger club than us? (The bookies are fairly sure they`ll finish above us.)

Will the signing of a couple of journeymen pros bankrupt the Dingwall club or is not a lot of money involved?

A serious question for you, how many extra season tickets will be sold on the basis of signings to date? (inc proposed signings).

None, however would counter that with people who like the way the club us going with giving youth a chance and looking to build from within. I know of at least 3 people who have taken season tickets this year that have had one for years as they like the way the club is moving forward and see it as a way of giving them the backing they need to continue that.

Dont get me wrong I would love us to have the cash to go out and buy a top class defender and striker. Maybe we have something lined up , I dont know.

But hey its only the 2nd week of June , we at least have what looks like a decent squad already signed , others have 4 or 5 players and thats it. Plenty of time for us to sign players :)

Coming to Blyth HJ ? Rabs running a bus for this one :D

Whilst we`re asking questions here`s some.......between Partick Thistle and Ross County fans, who will be the more optimistic and excited about the coming season?

When did Ross County fans start supporting a bigger club than us? (The bookies are fairly sure they`ll finish above us.)

Will the signing of a couple of journeymen pros bankrupt the Dingwall club or is not a lot of money involved?

Oh OK. Time we chuck it, the bookies think Ross County will finish above us.

Another question, who is to say Stewart won't score more goals than McMenamin and prove to be a better signing ?

Guess come May 2012, we'll all find out.

I certainly do not hang about for a Big name signing to buy a season tickrt. Only the optimism engendered by the closing performances and all the positive transactions of the close season so far is sufficient to delve in and be a part of it. I hope my pittance will contribute a little to Partick Thistle FC.

I don't do polls and anyway this would be a bit daft but I'd rather have Doolan at Firhill than McMenamin, Bayne or Jackson. I'm more pleased that we signed Stewart than I would've been had we signed any one of those three or Kean etc.

I'm more influenced when it comes to renewing my season ticket with the thought that we'll be playing younger players than I would be by the signing of the likes of McMenamin.

Not making any special point, I can see where HJ is coming from, just I don't think I'll be anywhere near alone with my opinions.

I don't do polls and anyway this would be a bit daft but I'd rather have Doolan at Firhill than McMenamin, Bayne or Jackson. I'm more pleased that we signed Stewart than I would've been had we signed any one of those three or Kean etc.

I'm more influenced when it comes to renewing my season ticket with the thought that we'll be playing younger players than I would be by the signing of the likes of McMenamin.

Not making any special point, I can see where HJ is coming from, just I don't think I'll be anywhere near alone with my opinions.

your most definately not alone.

With the exception of Paddy Boyle, we have re-signed the key players that finished last season strongly. McNamara will have the benefit of continuity and a squad that is committed to him. Most of the clubs will have tight budgets - especially Falkirk, Queens and Rovers who have let a lot of players go. Unless they can afford to go full-time, Ayr will struggle. Morton and County have not strengthened. The signings over the next few weeks, especially with a lot of players looking for clubs, could be decisive.

Our success will depend upon our young players improving and challenging for regular starts. We cannot afford any passengers. It will be a tough and competitive league but, especially with Fox in goal, we should be in the top half. That alone should encourage season ticket sales. My location makes it difficult for me to attend games regularly. I will, however, make my financial contribution in other ways, especially as I have a big birthday at the start of the season!

Some good points there. For me, Stewart is the one that I wanted to see sign, and we've got him. I'm looking forward to seeing how the youngsters do, including our new left-sided players. Bring it all on!

Heard tonight we have offered Keigan Parker a one year deal just released by Mansfield, played with Sid at St. Johnstone IIRC.

Checked his details out and he's not that impressive - not bad but nothing special. Unless he can play midfield as well I don't think he's really what we need.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Heard tonight we have offered Keigan Parker a one year deal just released by Mansfield, played with Sid at St. Johnstone IIRC.

Used to be an excellent player, but stories abound of him being a bit of a head banger. He would be an ideal signing .....if Lambie was still the manager!!