New Strip Leak!

jagscast

I just wish the strip was set as either stripes or hoops and kept at that. Styles will change, collars will change but we should look at the bigger (and more profitable) clubs as an example - Celtic, Barcelona, AC Milan, Athletico Madrid - nothing much changes season to season. the big changes should be focused on the away strips.

Have you seen the new Barca top? Not really anything traditional about that!

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think though a strip can really define a club by the general public (The hoops is an obvious example). If the Jags were always red and yellow stripes of a certain direction hopefully it would give them more founding throughout glasgow.

I personally like the red and yellow stripes. They're by no means stylish or pretty but it's just makes the club a wee bit different, standing out from all the attempts at fashion by so many clubs these days.

I think though a strip can really define a club by the general public (The hoops is an obvious example). If the Jags were always red and yellow stripes of a certain direction hopefully it would give them more founding throughout glasgow.

I personally like the red and yellow stripes. They're by no means stylish or pretty but it's just makes the club a wee bit different, standing out from all the attempts at fashion by so many clubs these days.

Agree with everything, except my personal preference is to sub stripes for hoops. I think it's a fair point to say that we lack definition, recognisability and branding. Experimentation is fine, but if the Club is serious about promoting Thistle then it should create a recognisable brand that people can easily identify. All this changing things around is only preaching to the converted. If we really want to be the Great Glasgow Alternative we should find an identity that is reasonably constant and identifiable. We're a bit of a brand failure.

Agree with everything, except my personal preference is to sub stripes for hoops. I think it's a fair point to say that we lack definition, recognisability and branding. Experimentation is fine, but if the Club is serious about promoting Thistle then it should create a recognisable brand that people can easily identify. All this changing things around is only preaching to the converted. If we really want to be the Great Glasgow Alternative we should find an identity that is reasonably constant and identifiable. We're a bit of a brand failure.

I think that's a tad negative. Thistle's red and yellow hoops are instantly recognisable across Scotland and probably even further afield, and that's been the case for decades. You're right about the relatively recent chopping and changing that has taken over in some way diluting the Thistle brand. Several of our more recent tops are easily forgotten, likely to be recognized by nobody who isn't a Thistle supporter. But as soon as it's a red and yellow hooped top, from the middle of the 20th century to one of its more recent versions, it immediately stands out as "Partick Thistle". I know that some people prefer stripes, but even those aren't as memorable (I actually hate the SPL one that we had last time around).

Partick Thistle: Red and Yellow hoops, and thus it should always be!

Still, even the Daleks are "being rested for now"....

Several of our more recent tops are easily forgotten, likely to be recognized by nobody who isn't a Thistle supporter.

Can't agree with that, either. Are you seriously telling me the recent striped efforts would go unrecognised? The recognition afforded to my strips on recent foreign holidays flies in the face of that notion. People were even quick to pick up on the jester top as a Thistle kit. It's the colours that are important. The design is secondary to them.

Edited by Dark Passenger

It's the colours that are important. The desing is secondary to them.

I'd argue it's much easier to screw up a red and yellow strip than a black and white strip. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, of course.

As to the new strip as shown on this thread, it looks like something worn by a pizza delivery person. I won't be buying it but I bet it will sell well.

Can't agree with that, either. Are you seriously telling me the recent striped efforts would go unrecognised? The recognition afforded to my strips on recent foreign holidays flies in the face of that notion. People were even quick to pick up on the jester top as a Thistle kit. It's the colours that are important. The design is secondary to them.

It would actually be quite interesting to stop a random sample of people in the street, give them a blank outline of a footballer and some coloured crayons, and ask them to do a simple sketch of "a Partick Thistle player". My guess is that around 85% of people (or at least those who knew anything at all about football) would draw red and yellow hoops, maybe 10% (at most) would draw stripes, 1% the jester, and the rest some other random assortment of colours.

It would then be interesting to break down the results into different age categories of people.

It would actually be quite interesting to stop a random sample of people in the street, give them a blank outline of a footballer and some coloured crayons, and ask them to do a simple sketch of "a Partick Thistle player". My guess is that around 85% of people (or at least those who knew anything at all about football) would draw red and yellow hoops, maybe 10% (at most) would draw stripes, 1% the jester, and the rest some other random assortment of colours.

It would then be interesting to break down the results into different age categories of people.

But 100% of them, or should I say 100% of them who knew who we are, would know we played in red and yellow. That's the important thing.

I'd argue it's much easier to screw up a red and yellow strip than a black and white strip. Hindsight's a wonderful thing, of course.

As to the new strip as shown on this thread, it looks like something worn by a pizza delivery person. I won't be buying it but I bet it will sell well.

Brill. It'll still make me ill at Firhill.

:D

But 100% of them, or should I say 100% of them who knew who we are, would know we played in red and yellow. That's the important thing.

I can't argue against the likely universal recognition of the colours. But many other teams (Albion Rovers in Scotland, Lincoln City, Lens, all those TAPIRAY) all play in red and yellow. But I'd say the long history of hoops distinguishes us even more.

I can't argue against the likely universal recognition of the colours. But many other teams (Albion Rovers in Scotland, Lincoln City, Lens, all those TAPIRAY) all play in red and yellow. But I'd say the long history of hoops distinguishes us even more.

It is the hoops that makes us stand out, the 71 cup final top stands out, only because its the top in which we won the cup with, maybe it is an age thing, but it would be hoops for me, maybe interesting to do the poll here on the forum, your preferred top along with your age?

It is the hoops that makes us stand out, the 71 cup final top stands out, only because its the top in which we won the cup with, maybe it is an age thing, but it would be hoops for me, maybe interesting to do the poll here on the forum, your preferred top along with your age?

Topless anywhere between 18 and say, 35.

:rolleyes:

There's a lot of teams that play in red and yellow - we don't have outright ownership of those colours in the same way that Celtic don't own green and white. It's what you do with the colours that creates the brand, the instant recognisability. If we want people to identify with us, they first have to correctly identify us. I think folk over estimate our brand strength, I honestly don't think a huge amount of people would automatically think of us if they saw a random red and yellow kit. I just wish we'd stick with something (preferably the hoops) that we can be defined by. I'm hoping the leaked picture is wrong and that we'll be wearing something closer to what the Bee has on.

When I started watching the Jags it was vertical stripes so I have always had a slight preference for them over hoops but either is fine with me as long as they are red & yellow.

Same here, my favourite top was the le coq sportif one tho. Anything striped or hooped would do, hated the jester top and that colonel gees monstrosity from the 80s so no coincidence they didnt have hoops or stripes.

Someone mentioned Barcelona earlier in the thread. They're know as the Blaugrana. It is their colours that are the important factor and I think it's the same with us. Think about those with limited football knowledge, those whose recognition of a team is based on one significant event. For us, it's likely to be the '71 final. The match in which the team in red and yellow beat Celtic.