Flannigan Re-Signed

There has been no signing that suggests our squad will be any better than last season's.

The departures are currently - Hinchcliffe, Shepherd, McGeough, Boyle, Robertson, Balatoni, Lochhead, Hodge, McNamara (as a player) and Maxwell (as a player). Stewart has got a contract and Lindsay is the only newcomer.

Of the 21 players currently signed, only 11 (including Stewart) have regular first-team experience. Based on current signings, this is our first team - Fox, Paton, Lindsay, Kinniburgh, Archibald, Flannigan, Cairney, Rowson, Erskine, Doolan, Stewart/Grehan

Assuming that McNamara and Maxwell have retired from playing, we have no other defenders who have started a first-team game. Campbell started one game at right-back.

There has been no signing that suggests our squad will be any better than last season's.

The departures are currently - Hinchcliffe, Shepherd, McGeough, Boyle, Robertson, Balatoni, Lochhead, Hodge, McNamara (as a player) and Maxwell (as a player). Stewart has got a contract and Lindsay is the only newcomer.

Of the 21 players currently signed, only 11 (including Stewart) have regular first-team experience. Based on current signings, this is our first team - Fox, Paton, Lindsay, Kinniburgh, Archibald, Flannigan, Cairney, Rowson, Erskine, Doolan, Stewart/Grehan

Assuming that McNamara and Maxwell have retired from playing, we have no other defenders who have started a first-team game. Campbell started one game at right-back.

Who needs defenders - Tora Tora Tora!

But I think there was a general feeling that the team was steadily improving in the last couple of months, with some youngsters especially starting to look the part (though it's early days), and Stewart looking like he could be a bit of a player when fully match fit. We've only lost two regulars from that period, Balatoni (I'd say the more important to replace), and Boyle, who improved to the point of being a decent left back, but no more than that. Still plenty of time before the season starts for one or two additions to strengthen the squad.

Kni, I appreciate you don't attend many games , but what makes you think the team you have selected will be our first team? We've not even got into pre season training yet. For all we know Jackie will want to start with some of the younger lads....who is to say some of them don't have a great pre season and earn a starting place.

We are only into the 3rd week of June. We have till end of august to get some new players in. We are in a far better place than a good few in the league.....having a settled squad could well be in our favour. Certainly if you listen to Jackie and follow the media coverage, a few like the look of the squad we are building.

Also, what does Jackie need to do to convince you that he has retired. Meet you personally and supply written evidence ? He has already confirmed he has retired and will be concentrating solely on management.

Hinchcliffe hasn't left.

I'm happy with this.

As someone said, he takes a decent corner, which is useful. Not long ago we consistently took short corners presumably cos we'd nobody capable of getting a decent ball into the box.

He's also a threat from free kicks - I seem to remember a decent goal from one soon after he arrived.

I'm happy with this.

As someone said, he takes a decent corner, which is useful. Not long ago we consistently took short corners presumably cos we'd nobody capable of getting a decent ball into the box.

He's also a threat from free kicks - I seem to remember a decent goal from one soon after he arrived.

Yeah and if he can add a few more strikes like the one v's stirling in the 6-1 rout, then none of us will be complaining.

Going by the press reports today, Jackie wants to see us play entertaining, passing football. Flannigan should fit into that style of play nicely.

Words about how we haven't improved

Why are you always so negative? It's the middle of June. We have two and a half months left to sign new additions. Cheer up, eh?

I liked Flannigan, so I'm glad that he's re-signed. I felt at the end of last season that he could still improve, so here's hoping he can do this next season.

Yeah and if he can add a few more strikes like the one v's stirling in the 6-1 rout, then none of us will be complaining.

Going by the press reports today, Jackie wants to see us play entertaining, passing football. Flannigan should fit into that style of play nicely.

Flannigan is a bit like Sid he wants time on the ball, most 1st division teams won't afford you that. In the past we have tried slow build-up and the opposition get men behind the ball and we run out of idea. Then we try the big punt and its a long time since we had a big forward to knock the ball down, so defenders eat it up. He needs to become more direct and slip the ball into forwards facing the goal.

Flannigan is a bit like Sid he wants time on the ball, most 1st division teams won't afford you that. In the past we have tried slow build-up and the opposition get men behind the ball and we run out of idea. Then we try the big punt and its a long time since we had a big forward to knock the ball down, so defenders eat it up. He needs to become more direct and slip the ball into forwards facing the goal.

That's surely why whenever Harkins a year or two ago or Erskine now gets the ball there's a roar of anticipation from the fans, as we get to see somebody running right at defenders and with a chance of leaving them for dead.

That's surely why whenever Harkins a year or two ago or Erskine now gets the ball there's a roar of anticipation from the fans, as we get to see somebody running right at defenders and with a chance of leaving them for dead.

I am old enough to remember dribbling Dennis McQuade and there has to be something at the end of it other than the wrong side of the byeline.

Good points there. I don't think there's much wrong with what Flannigan offers but a wee bit more variety about his play, like as you say "slipping the ball into forwards facing the goal", would be welcome.

I do tho' believe he'll be the one forward/midfielder we can rely on for composure. Not meaning the others all lack that just he's the player least likely to give the ball away cheaply.

I'm neither happy or disappointed with Flannigan resigning, not sure whether thats's a good thing or not :unsure: . It's not that I don't rate the guy, as his strengths and weaknesses have already been highlighted.

If McNamara pushes ahead with a 4-3-3 next season and Flannigan is in the midfield three then he will need to work hard on the defensive aspect of his game. With more ground to cover and having to track back more it will be interesting to see how he fairs. Hopefully playing beside Rowson can help him adapt to this, while at the same time still posing his attacking ability.