Jags Fan Chased By Bull

Martin

As much as i'm no big fan of the new top, i echo the posts like those above.

I am a fan of the top and I still echo the sentiments of the posts you quoted. Giving Gus a top a day or two early is hardly a ringing endorsement of animal cruelty.

My girlfriend is a vet student (the type who loves all animals, not the kind who see them as property and business) and I'm sure she is against the bull run and bull fighting in general but she thought it was amazing that the new top had such great exposure when I showed the pictures to her.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Can't believe other jags fans think this "ok" and all a bit of a laugh. Am all for thistle having a bit of publicity but would rather the club I support was not associated with such a disgusting sport. Was going to buy the top on pay day but think I shall pass now.

And too think some fans want this picture framed - What part of this is ok with you? I would rather we frame a picture of one Doolan's great goals or a great Fox save! Just my opinion of course!

Yip. Definitely not one that seems him hunted after making an error.

Ok so I kinda see the point, bullfighting and the pamplona run (or whatever it's called) is cruel in the opinion of some. Can also see the point that in Spanish culture it is sorta like a sport. I was actually cheering on the bull when it got a hold of one of the runners in the arena.

BUUUUUUUUT...(without getting into the ethics of the actual 'sport') I think what Gus done in terms of wearing the strip and getting publicity was great and those refusing to buy the strip or blaming Greaves have gona a wee bit OTT imo. Perhaps respecting the culture of another country, whether you agree with it or not, would be more 'moral' than cutting off your nose (or your Clubs) to spite your face (or your Clubs). :unknw: just a thought.

Can I just get this straight; people are refusing to buy the new strip because of this photo? Can anyone explain the rationale behind this because I'm genuinely perplexed.

Gus should be brought on at half time and introduced to the crowd at the next game he attends,maybe bring on some bulls for the half time entertainment!! and he could recreate his moment, maybe get the fans with the new tops to be "become" part of the crowd,all in honour of Gus and his achievement. :)

Only on this forum would this happen <_<

It's a brilliant photo and a bit of fun.

I am glad you think it’s all a bit of fun and a good laugh. Good for you. I won’t waste my time trying to change your minds.

All I will say is that photo makes me ashamed to be a jags fan and angry that our club is now associated with such a barbaric sport.

I detest the whole bullfighting/bullrunning thing, but I think that some people might be over-reacting here. There's no evidence that Greaves, the club, or the sponsor are using what the guy did "to market" any product. The guy asked if he could get the top early, and they obliged.

Gus asked for it early . . . you think Greaves didn't ask why?

Perhaps respecting the culture of another country, whether you agree with it or not, would be more 'moral' than cutting off your nose (or your Clubs) to spite your face (or your Clubs). :unknw: just a thought.

This will be the same country that in different regions has agreed to ban bull fighting?

I am a fan of the top and I still echo the sentiments of the posts you quoted. Giving Gus a top a day or two early is hardly a ringing endorsement of animal cruelty.

If Greaves knew that the reason for having the new top early was so a fan could take part in a bull run then at the point they said yes they agreed that Bull fighting was acceptable. I would have no problem with Gus wearing the old top - I would think he’s a twat for doing it but the fact he got the new top early to take part in a cruel sport like this makes me never want to shop at greaves and makes me disappointed to be a jags fan.

Not quite an image of Gus brandishing an array of chibs preparing to mutilate a helpless beast. I think some of us need to lighten up a wee bit now and again.

Well to quote Gus (Daily Record)

"That's where I want to be - I want to be on the horns."

Would suggest to me that he rather enjoys causing needless stress to an innocent Bull.

Greaves are using Bullfighting/Bullrunning as a way to market the new Jags top. They knew what Gus was going to do when they gave him the top early.

Anyone that thinks this or anything else associated with bullfighting or the Pamplona bull run is a bit of a laugh is quite simply a moron. Torturing, maiming and then killing animals for entertainment is obscene.

The thought of people actually wanting a photo associating Thistle with this put up at Firhill disgusts me.

My thoughts exactly, It actually makes me sick! Thinking about it I think I would rather go without Jags merchandise than buy from a shop which thinks bull fighting is an appropriate way to market the new top.

Whilst I have sympathy for the anti animal cruelty sentiments surrounding bullfighting the actual bull run provides a great deal more risk of injury/death to a runner than a bull.

All credit to Gus to do the run in the honest way of running ahead of the bulls at great risk to himself than standing to the side and then jogging after them.

As for the sentiments of not buying a strip because a shop sold one to someone going to Pamplona, is nothing short of bonkers. Do you boycott shops/restaurant/football stadiums selling meat or leather - no.

I saw a Partick Thistle sticker on a car that had clearly run over dog shit today. I love dogs and will never darken the door of Firhill again until the club issue a full apology. I will also never buy a Skoda and encourage every one of you to do the same.

Edited by Vom Itorium

I saw a Partick Thistle sticker on a car that had clearly run over dog shit today. I love dogs and will never darken the door of Firhill again until the club issue a full apology. I will also never buy a Skoda and encourage every one of you to do the same.

leave the Skoda alone :angry:

sorry, never occured to me you were a vegetarian pie of the month.

Stand corrected!

Since when did you need to be a vegetarian to be against animal cruelty?

Whilst I have sympathy for the anti animal cruelty sentiments surrounding bullfighting the actual bull run provides a great deal more risk of injury/death to a runner than a bull.

That makes it ok does it? The bulls die not long afterwards, the same can't be said for pretty much every human involved. That's without considering that people make the conscious choice to be involved in the run, bulls don't.

As for the sentiments of not buying a strip because a shop sold one to someone going to Pamplona, is nothing short of bonkers. Do you boycott shops/restaurant/football stadiums selling meat or leather - no.

Do you honestly believe that's the same thing? Honestly? Greaves provided the top early. Considering if I just decided to phone up and ask for it early because I was going on holiday they'd tell me where to go it's not a massive leap to the suggestion they were fully aware the top was going to be worn at such an event supporting animal cruelty for a bit of free publicity. It's certainly less of a massive leap than equating it with boycotting shops who sell meat or leather.

So what if it was planned, if he was the only guy running the thing, fair enough. But hundreds (maybe thousands?) run it every year.

Anyway, the bulls could easily just stand still & say "ah'm no runnin" but they run & do every year, you'd think they'd learn! If it was people chasing the bulls trying to stab them to death it would be just a little different.

Since when did you need to be a vegetarian to be against animal cruelty?

So if an animal is killed in an abattoir out of sight for your dinner that's ok then?

That makes it ok does it? The bulls die not long afterwards, the same can't be said for pretty much every human involved. That's without considering that people make the conscious choice to be involved in the run, bulls don't.

When you are eating your next chicken, burger or lamb curry before it was killed for you to eat that is all right then!

Do you honestly believe that's the same thing? Honestly? Greaves provided the top early. Considering if I just decided to phone up and ask for it early because I was going on holiday they'd tell me where to go it's not a massive leap to the suggestion they were fully aware the top was going to be worn at such an event supporting animal cruelty for a bit of free publicity. It's certainly less of a massive leap than equating it with boycotting shops who sell meat or leather.

Over 1 million people go to the festival, the chances of free publicity are highly remote. It's not such a massive leap, visit an abattoir and then feel free to state how this is more humane then the actual bull run.

Just finished my tea, washed down with the customary pint of ice cold semi-skimmed milk. Gastronomically content, I sat down on the settee and read this thread. Within less than a minute I boaked my whole milk-splattered tea up, over the carpet, the ironing and the grand weans all in a good cause, seemingly. I now realise what a lifelong fascist I've been, drinking cow's milk without so much as a passing thought for the poor beast's welfare.

Evil habit of a lifetime now suitably corrected. :thumbsup2:

Just finished my tea, washed down with the customary pint of ice cold semi-skimmed milk. Gastronomically content, I sat down on the settee and read this thread. Within less than a minute I boaked my whole milk-splattered tea up, over the carpet, the ironing and the grand weans all in a good cause, seemingly. I now realise what a lifelong fascist I've been, drinking cow's milk without so much as a passing thought for the poor beast's welfare.

Evil habit of a lifetime now suitably corrected. :thumbsup2:

:lol::lol:

Over 1 million people go to the festival, the chances of free publicity are highly remote.

See, that was my initial thought until I found out the runs take place over eight days. I assume Gus wanted to be involved on the first day and it had nothing to do with the fact that would be the day the bulk of filming/photography would take place...

Over 1 million people go to the festival, the chances of free publicity are highly remote. It's not such a massive leap, visit an abattoir and then feel free to state how this is more humane then the actual bull run.

I have done thanks. I like how you seem to be separating the bull run from them being slaughtered by referring to as the "actual" bull run. It doesn't magically mean that they don't get slaughtered afterwards in a horrific manner afterwards. Shops selling leather and meat don't attempt to get free publicity out of an event which is cruel to animals whereas Greaves have done. If you can't differentiate between the 2 then there's not much point in continuing this.

It was a cynical marketing ploy. I don't expect the majority of Scottish football fans to be switched on to animal cruelty, sadly, so comparing the slaughter of bulls in the ring to dairy farming and running over dog excrement in a car is to be expected.

Greaves has chosen to profit from animal cruelty.

Edited by Collins Out!