Tonights Game

If you look at the squad currently, the first 11 is very good, however beyond that especially with 1 or 2 injuries or suspensions it starts to look very stretched, especially up front.

Edited by MWM

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look at the squad currently, the first 11 is very good, however beyond that especially with 1 or 2 injuries or suspensions it starts to look very stretched, especially up front.

I have made exactly that point on other recent threads. My fear is that we lack depth in the squad. If the young players are not good enough to challenge for a first-team place, we should loan them out.

Oops.. just as well we got a soft penalty!

I thought taking off Balatoni and Bannigan was leaving the rest to be lambs to the slaughter and it was.

If Fox were to leave or pick up an injury we will be in trouble. Still we can call it a Partick XI and not worry about it as we will not see that team again. The two trialists did not do anything that I would say would be worthy of a contract, having said that Grehan would not have got one on that performance either.

Positive side, IMO Bannigan could have a big season for us. Out strongest side should match up well with anyone, but we will need to keep the injuries and suspensions in check.

Oops.. just as well we got a soft penalty!

I thought taking off Balatoni and Bannigan was leaving the rest to be lambs to the slaughter and it was.

If Fox were to leave or pick up an injury we will be in trouble. Still we can call it a Partick XI and not worry about it as we will not see that team again. The two trialists did not do anything that I would say would be worthy of a contract, having said that Grehan would not have got one on that performance either.

Positive side, IMO Bannigan could have a big season for us. Out strongest side should match up well with anyone, but we will need to keep the injuries and suspensions in check.

I think that this will be the same for all the teams this season plus getting off to a good start will be important, hopefully we will do so.

A couple of the younger guys had some good touches, 14 & 16, & could probably fit into a matchday squad. Playing a team as young as that is never likely to work, but I've no doubt some of the players would do a job surrounded by better & more experienced players.

Grehan was disappointing & not sure about Burns.

Thought our number 8 looked good , some decent touches and a few good runs , he runs like he has shat himself though.

I think the newer players need a lot of work before they will even be near the first team but no way should the be written off after one game when a lot of them will not have played in the same team as each other.

I have made exactly that point on other recent threads. My fear is that we lack depth in the squad. If the young players are not good enough to challenge for a first-team place, we should loan them out.

There were two guys started who have just joined us as modern apprentices and a couple more came on later. They were supported, not by a solid core of our experienced players but by a couple of guys who are not first eleven choices plus a couple of trialists. The rest were our more experienced youngsters. That's a mish mash of a team , it's only purpose to let the trialists show what they could do and give some fringe guys a run-out.

A lot of these boys WILL spend most of the season playing in the under-19s - that's what they were signed up for. They're our new modern apprentices. The youngsters who are expected to fill out the main squad are a separate lot and the likes of Bannigan, Campbell and Fraser have already shown they can hack it. And when they come into the team they'll be surrounded by guys like Rowson, Archibald, Finnigan, Doolan and Stewart, not fringe players and trialists.

There were two guys started who have just joined us as modern apprentices and a couple more came on later. They were supported, not by a solid core of our experienced players but by a couple of guys who are not first eleven choices plus a couple of trialists. The rest were our more experienced youngsters. That's a mish mash of a team , it's only purpose to let the trialists show what they could do and give some fringe guys a run-out.

A lot of these boys WILL spend most of the season playing in the under-19s - that's what they were signed up for. They're our new modern apprentices. The youngsters who are expected to fill out the main squad are a separate lot and the likes of Bannigan, Campbell and Fraser have already shown they can hack it. And when they come into the team they'll be surrounded by guys like Rowson, Archibald, Finnigan, Doolan and Stewart, not fringe players and trialists.

Lets remember also that a lot of the younger guys will have played Saturday & Sunday in the tournament they won (playing against, by all accounts, some fairly physical Junior opponents) so there would have been a degree of tiredness (mental & physical) as well.

Lets remember also that a lot of the younger guys will have played Saturday & Sunday in the tournament they won (playing against, by all accounts, some fairly physical Junior opponents) so there would have been a degree of tiredness (mental & physical) as well.

Good point. I'm quite happy if they just progress and do well in the under 19 team. Though I'm sure one or two of them will get an appearance later in the season as I have a good feeling about the new crop of youngsters.

I suppose we have to stop talking about Bannigan and Campbell as youngsters now (though they are) as they are clearly established first team squad members. If Fraser continues to improve (and Grehan continues to be inconsistent) he could very well soon become the third choice after Doolan and Stewart.

In fairness to Grehan (someone has to) he's a big lump of a lad and guys that size can be slow to get their full fitness and pace up ... especially as in his case he's more of a ball player than a 'barge the opposition about' centre forward.

Agree, though I think it would have been more worthwhile if we had a couple more experienced players in the team to give support to the youngsters and maybe give them a little more confidence. A more gentle introduction may have been a better approach rather than the mish mash which made it difficult for anyone to shine.

The number 8 was the most impressive player on show for us IMHO. However what really stood out to me was how badly we need to make sure that nothing happens to Fox. I suggest we all chip in for a huge bag of cotton wool that can be wrapped around him after every game. That is the second time I have seen Scully in the first team, including the last game of the season v Raith Rovers and he is a complete bombscare.

pretty bloody poor.

Not many highlights.

I did like our No. 8, though. Looks very young, but could be usefull in an Erskine-esk way?

Tonights game was terrible.Why play such a weak team and expect jags fans to travel and watch such rubbish.Macnamara never moved from the edge of the dug out all night.Looked like Murdo Macleod!Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

What exactly are you on about? Why would we loan out our young players? I can see the point with say Burns if we signed a new forward or perhaps Scully if we signed another goalie but who else playing tonight should we loan out and why?

Tonights game was terrible.Why play such a weak team and expect jags fans to travel and watch such rubbish.Macnamara never moved from the edge of the dug out all night.Looked like Murdo Macleod!Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

McNamara did mention on the OS that the team would be full of trialists and fringe players. I appreciate not everyone reads that but there was always a good chance given it's five days until our first competitive game, it was certainly why I never bothered heading along.