Tonights Game

Watching the game last night wasnt that easy!! i know the team was filled with youngsters and a couple of trialists, it was scary at times. Our number 6, Aaron Sekhon, was looking very uncomfortable on the ball, and you did worry when he got the ball, as to what kind of trouble we were goin to get into.

The number 8, David Wilson, i thought did ok, positive in going forward, was always looking for the ball.

As for Scully!! i have seen him on 3 occassions, last game against Raith, Blyth and last night, and i really dont feel confident when he is between the sticks, i felt he could have done better at the goals, although i think the wind didnt do him any favours, lets hope foxy remains injury free for the season

Martin Grehan... was totally ineffective, he has to improve vastly, or he will lose his place.

When we play on Saturday, we should see the 1st choice team. and then we can maybe see how good/bad we are!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the game last night wasnt that easy!! i know the team was filled with youngsters and a couple of trialists, it was scary at times. Our number 6, Aaron Sekhon, was looking very uncomfortable on the ball, and you did worry when he got the ball, as to what kind of trouble we were goin to get into.

The number 8, David Wilson, i thought did ok, positive in going forward, was always looking for the ball.

As for Scully!! i have seen him on 3 occassions, last game against Raith, Blyth and last night, and i really dont feel confident when he is between the sticks, i felt he could have done better at the goals, although i think the wind didnt do him any favours, lets hope foxy remains injury free for the season

Martin Grehan... was totally ineffective, he has to improve vastly, or he will lose his place.

When we play on Saturday, we should see the 1st choice team. and then we can maybe see how good/bad we are!!

We don`t have any forwards so who is Grehan going to lose his place to?

Enter the Simon Donnelly Fan Club stage right....

We might well do that but it is the Challenge Cup, a competition with little if any merit, and it could give Jackie a further chance to try out some of players in a more competitive game. Unless they've changed the rules we can't play trialists (maybe run the course with that anyway :unsure: ) but I wouldn't be surprised if McNamara uses the opportunity to tinker about with squad.

He has had a year and a half to come up with the goods a lot longer than a lot of other players have been given, how long realistically does he need?

If we are playing 4-3-3, Erskine should play up front rather than in midfield. My first choice front 3 would be Doolan, Stewart and Erskine. Grehan is behind Fraser and Burns in my pecking order. In midfield, I would play Cairney or Flannigan, Rowson and Bannigan with Campbell challenging for a place.

The poor reports on Lindsay's performance are disappointing. It is strange that McNamara signed him (without seeing him as a trialist) and looked at Brennan. BTW, are Stevenson, Ketterer and McBeth injured?

Don't really want to slate young players but some on show didn't cover themselves in glory. Scully doesn't look ready yet. Fraser is very raw, Burns is lightweight and no pace. Singh looked dodgy last night, but this is first time I've seen him. I like Bannigan and on last nights showing Wilson is a player. We have a decent 1st team squad but we need depth. Grehan

is gash and we need a forward

We don`t have any forwards so who is Grehan going to lose his place to?

Enter the Simon Donnelly Fan Club stage right....

From the way the team (when it hasn't been full of youngsters) has been set up most pre-season games, our foward line would appear to be Stewart and Doolan with Erskine sitting in just behind them (in a free role). Erskine can play out and out forward at a pinch and Fraser looks to be developing well so it would look like Grehan has already slipped down into 3rd or 4th choice.

If Grehan and Burns were to go out on loan then - with a bit of the money from the Celtic friendly added - we mmight be able to sign another forward, even if just on loan, but even so there's no guarantee he'd be better or even as good as we've got - we've had guys come here in the past who we thought would be good but didn't work out.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Don't really want to slate young players but some on show didn't cover themselves in glory. Scully doesn't look ready yet. Fraser is very raw, Burns is lightweight and no pace. Singh looked dodgy last night, but this is first time I've seen him. I like Bannigan and on last nights showing Wilson is a player. We have a decent 1st team squad but we need depth. Grehan

Of the youngsters, we can expect Campbell, Bannigan and, possibly if fit, McBeth to feature regularly in the first team. Scully and Fraser will probably be on the bench with Grehan. As others have said, the squad looks thin if we have a few injuries, especially in defence.

BTW, are Stevenson, Ketterer and McBeth injured?

No reason to believe Ketterer is ready for the first team yet and may well have played last weekend. It's a long road back for Stevenson and pre season friendlies no doubt too early. MacBeth may well be carrying an injury. Played at Blyth but noticed him hanging around in a tracksuit at Grangemouth.

If we are playing 4-3-3, Erskine should play up front rather than in midfield. My first choice front 3 would be Doolan, Stewart and Erskine. Grehan is behind Fraser and Burns in my pecking order. In midfield, I would play Cairney or Flannigan, Rowson and Bannigan with Campbell challenging for a place.

The poor reports on Lindsay's performance are disappointing. It is strange that McNamara signed him (without seeing him as a trialist) and looked at Brennan. BTW, are Stevenson, Ketterer and McBeth injured?

Are you joking? He's absolute garbage, no ability whatsoever.

Sekhon you mean. I was surprised to see him playing, he only turned 17 two days before the game.

Was Gallacher in the squad at all? I thought Jackie had said after the Motherwell game he was going to play him the full 90 minutes :thinking:

Gallacher is away on trial down South according to the Evening Times today, so effectively answered my own question. To be fair most English clubs can pay considerably more than us. McNamara says will take a look if he doesnt get fixed up.

Sekhon you mean. I was surprised to see him playing, he only turned 17 two days before the game.

That's him, thought it was Sekhon Singh, hence just used Singh, anyway it showed that he was a young one.

Regardless of how we have tried to introduce the young players to first team football towards the end of last season, I think only a select number could make the transition to first team regulars in the near future.

For example, as stated above, we are in trouble up front. Burns would be below even Grehan in my pecking order, I remember seeing Burns play against Ross County at the end of 2009/2010 and he missed 3 one-on-one chances by scooping the ball into the keepers hands. And during pre-season he has done absolutely nothing to prove that he has improved since then. Doolan and Stewart will start, with Erskine just in behind, Grehan and Fraser will be on the bench, but I still insist we need at least 1 striker in on loan. (Remember McCall trying to bring in Robert McHugh last season from Motherwell.)

Midfield is looking good I think, Erskine, Flannigan, Rowson and Cairney will occupy that, with Bannigan and MacBeth pushing for a place over the course of the season. And of course Campbell can play both on the wing and at the back which will be a help should we need cover.

The bit that really does worry me is if Fox gets injured, we'd have to resort to an emergency 1 week contract like we did in 08/09 with Jamie Barclay I think it was, while Tuffey was on international duty and Hinchy took over.

Fans should be banned from attending pre-season friendlies and the results should be closely guarded secrets. There will be people on this thread who have been watching football for 20, 30, 40 years or whatever, yet some people can not help but get carried away with themselves.

After the Celtic game, we had people raving about how good we looked and there was a renewed wave of optimism about the coming season. Depressingly, we now have posters slating the team for last nights defeat to Dumbarton. The team was made up almost entirely from youngsters.

Judge the young players after they have had a decent run in forst team, playing alongside and against more experienced professionals.

Edited by Tom Stronach

Tonights game was terrible.Why play such a weak team and expect jags fans to travel and watch such rubbish.Macnamara never moved from the edge of the dug out all night.Looked like Murdo Macleod!Hopefully not a sign of things to come.

Nobody expects anyone to travel and watch pre-season friendlies. It was your choice and more fool you.

Right, so McNamamra's body language (in a meaningless pre-season kickabout) is a cause for concern according to you. Maybe we should have went for a manager who shows a bit more emotion on the touchline. You know, someone who throws his bunnet onto the turf every so often.

Major reality check required.

Nobody expects anyone to travel and watch pre-season friendlies. It was your choice and more fool you.

Right, so McNamamra's body language (in a meaningless pre-season kickabout) is a cause for concern according to you. Maybe we should have went for a manager who shows a bit more emotion on the touchline. You know, someone who throws his bunnet onto the turf every so often.

Major reality check required.

You obviously missed it but someone pointed out to him already that Macnamara wasn't in the dugout. :)

No reason to believe Ketterer is ready for the first team yet and may well have played last weekend. It's a long road back for Stevenson and pre season friendlies no doubt too early. MacBeth may well be carrying an injury. Played at Blyth but noticed him hanging around in a tracksuit at Grangemouth.

So Ketterer is behind the new apprentices who played at Dumbarton? If he is fit, he should have played against Sons.

Yes, he wasn't in the dugout, as the post I quoted said.

You noticed Kni, loves to "copy n paste" quotes from all over the press or internet to make his points.......He must have a dodgy computer though as it seems when Jackie gives a statement like he has retired from football......Kni, seems unable to "copy n Paste" that !!!!

Cue another dig coming my way as to my head being so far up my arse !!!

You noticed Kni, loves to "copy n paste" quotes from all over the press or internet to make his points.......He must have a dodgy computer though as it seems when Jackie gives a statement like he has retired from football......Kni, seems unable to "copy n Paste" that !!!!

Cue another dig coming my way as to my head being so far up my arse !!!

It's obviously still there!

So Ketterer is behind the new apprentices who played at Dumbarton? If he is fit, he should have played against Sons.

I'm happy to leave such team selection to Ian Cameron. Having pecking orders for senior players is all very well I suppose but I'd be shocked if I thought we treat the under 19s in a similar fashion.

Repeat vey quickly in loud Scouse accent: CALM DOWN, before slowing to C-A-L-M D--O--W--N! It was a pre-season friendly, it's not as if airdrie took ten off us.

I've had a great week winding up Selik fans at work and am still doing so. They claim that last weekend's game was unimportant and, in truth, they're probably right. Play them again in the cup and it would be two differnt teams on the pitch(; but probably the same score :thumbsup2: ). Last night's game was pre-season try-out so what if we got beat and let's not get hung up on this one.

I'm hoping you are not serious. Leaving aside his family issues last year, he's also been injured. He was criticised after the Motherwell game when he'd played 15 minutes. His one on ones were in games were he'd been on for minutes. Last night he played 45 minutes, received no service ,scored a penalty and set up a good chance for Grehan. Very few came away with plaudits ,but I genuinely believe he'll prove a lot of people wrong.