Bannigan Vs Flannagan

ian_mac

Bannigan must start ahead of Flanagan. Given what the boy did at Ayr last season he must start getting the starts that his ability deserves. Flanagan isn't interested when the chips are down. Bannigan came on when the game was already lost but was hungry for the ball and tried to get things going.

Bannigan must start ahead of Flanagan. Given what the boy did at Ayr last season he must start getting the starts that his ability deserves. Flanagan isn't interested when the chips are down. Bannigan came on when the game was already lost but was hungry for the ball and tried to get things going.

They are not like for like players. Flannigan is a forward player and should be compared to Erskine rather than Bannigan. I think on the basis of the 2 games I've seen so far, Flannigan would be better suited to play where Erskine is playing.

Dont be so silly..Ridicoulous idea!

They are not like for like players. Flannigan is a forward player and should be compared to Erskine rather than Bannigan. I think on the basis of the 2 games I've seen so far, Flannigan would be better suited to play where Erskine is playing.

Flannigan would more suited on the right of the front three. Erskine and Stewart should compete for the left-forward position with Doolan as centre-forward.

I agree, they are different types of player..... However, there is absolutely no excuse for flannigan's clear lack of effort (lost count of the amount of times he failed to track back on saturday and it seems he is a master of pointing at other players and telling people to pick them up without actually doing anything himself)No matter where the manager plays you, you should always be looking to give 100% and he does not do that. Flannigan doesnt have the work ethic (and, IMO, bottle) required and he should never have been signed again this season.

There in lies the problem in that neither of the two are good enough to play in a team that aspires to challenge in Div 1. and we are discussing which of the two should play. I am neither optimistic or pessimistic about Thistle's chances to do well this year but what I am clear about is that we do not have too many good players based on what I have waatched over 40 years. However our success will depend how good the other teams are and Iam not in a position to comment on them at this stage.

I also think Flannigan as more of a forward player and therefore my midfield 3 would be Rowser, Cairney and Bannigan.

IMO I see Flannigan more of a sub these days or to cover for injuries up front as there is a bit of a question mark over his ability to put 90 mins of effort in. With this in mind, I believe he may be more effective coming on for the last 20-30mins. He has a bit of skill and can give us something, however until he increases his work rate out on the pitch then he is currently a luxury we can ill forward over 90 mins.

IMO Bannigan could be a big player for us, he is always looking for the ball an trying to do things. He's young and will make mistakes, however it's great to see a player that is not hiding, looks for the ball and continues to look for it even when things are not going right.

There in lies the problem in that neither of the two are good enough to play in a team that aspires to challenge in Div 1. and we are discussing which of the two should play. I am neither optimistic or pessimistic about Thistle's chances to do well this year but what I am clear about is that we do not have too many good players based on what I have waatched over 40 years. However our success will depend how good the other teams are and Iam not in a position to comment on them at this stage.

think you wrong and i think they will prove it to :thumbsup2:

There was a player called Iain Flannigan

He got it in the neck from an online fan again

Any auld sh1te just to add in Bannigan

Poor old Iain Flannigan

Begin again

there was a young player called Ian Flannigan

he went up the park but didnt backtrack again

he took a freekick and it ended in the stand again

Bring back Dennis Connaghan-agan-agan

No brainer. Bannigan all the way

Oh dear. I'd better go to the hospital tomorrow then and see if there is some sort of implant they can give me because I have been decidedly unimpressed by Bannigan so far. Admittedly, I wasn't at the Berwick game (probably a wise decision in retrospect, where by all accounts Flannigan had a stinker. However, Bannigan struggled to execute even simple passes in the Celtic game, IIRC. By contrast, some of Flannigan's passing was excellent, particularly in the second half.

I don't want to do Bannigan down and I really hope I am wrong about him but I think maybe people are getting sucked in to that traditional Scottish habit of favouring players who 'get tore in' and who 'never go missing' over those who can actually, well play a wee bit.

Oh dear. I'd better go to the hospital tomorrow then and see if there is some sort of implant they can give me because I have been decidedly unimpressed by Bannigan so far. Admittedly, I wasn't at the Berwick game (probably a wise decision in retrospect, where by all accounts Flannigan had a stinker. However, Bannigan struggled to execute even simple passes in the Celtic game, IIRC. By contrast, some of Flannigan's passing was excellent, particularly in the second half.

I don't want to do Bannigan down and I really hope I am wrong about him but I think maybe people are getting sucked in to that traditional Scottish habit of favouring players who 'get tore in' and who 'never go missing' over those who can actually, well play a wee bit.

That sums it up.

Making one or two nice passes during a game does not make a player. With the shape we're playing we need a midfielder in there who can tackle, track back, has strength and works his socks off. Berwick made the game a bit tasty and he wanted nothing to do with it, we can't afford that luxury I'm afraid.

Edited by Vom Itorium

That sums it up.

Making one or two nice passes during a game does not make a player. With the shape we're playing we need a midfielder in there who can tackle, track back, has strength and works his socks off. Berwick made the game a bit tasty and he wanted nothing to do with it, we can't afford that luxury I'm afraid.

Fair comment but I don't think Flannigan not tackling is an absolute. I've seen him track back and get dug in on at least two occasions. I'm not making excuses for him, in fact I'm being even more critical in that he can work defensively and tackle but too often he fails to do so.

To widen the criticism of Flannigan I'm not impressed with his dead ball stuff so far this season (fair to include friendlies when talking about free kicks and corners) plus he's failed to get any power on a shot at goal and he's had a good few attempts.

On the whole his corner kicks last season were much improved on what we've suffered prior to him joining us but they've largely lacked any quality of late. If Iain was to go away and sharpen up either what he's supposed to be good at or his tackling and tracking back there'd be more of dilemma as to whether he should start or not.

Actually I don't particularly think he had a bad game for most of the time he was on the field on Saturday but too many warning signs are showing and in a three man midfield too much to ignore.

Fair comment but I don't think Flannigan not tackling is an absolute. I've seen him track back and get dug in on at least two occasions. I'm not making excuses for him, in fact I'm being even more critical in that he can work defensively and tackle but too often he fails to do so.

To widen the criticism of Flannigan I'm not impressed with his dead ball stuff so far this season (fair to include friendlies when talking about free kicks and corners) plus he's failed to get any power on a shot at goal and he's had a good few attempts.

On the whole his corner kicks last season were much improved on what we've suffered prior to him joining us but they've largely lacked any quality of late. If Iain was to go away and sharpen up either what he's supposed to be good at or his tackling and tracking back there'd be more of dilemma as to whether he should start or not.

Actually I don't particularly think he had a bad game for most of the time he was on the field on Saturday but too many warning signs are showing and in a three man midfield too much to ignore.

That's it, the three man midfield style means we simply can't afford a luxury and he is looking like that and has done too often for my liking.