Grehan Leaves Club

1 John Lambie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grehan was pretty harshly treated by some of us, in my opinion. I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as some people have made out; if he is one of the worst players people have seen, they've either not been watching Thistle for that long or they've had their eyes shut at most games. For what it's worth, I think Grehan was slightly out of his depth at this level but, had we utilised him correctly and gave him a run in the team (which McCall did fleetingly last year and it coincided with two Man of the Match performances against St Johnstone and Queen of the South, not forgetting his display against Falkirk where he set up all three goals), I think he could have done a decent job for us. Yes, he had a bit of a stinker against Hamilton last week but he was no worse than, say, Erskine or Stewart. It's unfortunate that was his last action as a Thistle player.

I'll remember the Greek for being a top bloke and not being anywhere near as bad as it's being made out. He'll find another club without a problem as he has a proven record at a lower level and I, for one, wish him the best of luck.

Allez ze Greek.

Grehan was pretty harshly treated by some of us, in my opinion. I don't think he was anywhere near as bad as some people have made out; if he is one of the worst players people have seen, they've either not been watching Thistle for that long or they've had their eyes shut at most games. For what it's worth, I think Grehan was slightly out of his depth at this level but, had we utilised him correctly and gave him a run in the team (which McCall did fleetingly last year and it coincided with two Man of the Match performances against St Johnstone and Queen of the South, not forgetting his display against Falkirk where he set up all three goals), I think he could have done a decent job for us. Yes, he had a bit of a stinker against Hamilton last week but he was no worse than, say, Erskine or Stewart. It's unfortunate that was his last action as a Thistle player.

I'll remember the Greek for being a top bloke and not being anywhere near as bad as it's being made out. He'll find another club without a problem as he has a proven record at a lower level and I, for one, wish him the best of luck.

Allez ze Greek.

100% Agree.

Good Luck Martin Grehan.

It may not have worked out the way he imagined, but he got the chance to play at a higher level than where he was, he had the balls to try it so fair doos.

All the best for your future career wherever you end up, except if you're playing against the Jags!!

Edited by cjptfc

Good Luck Martin Grehan.

It may not have worked out the way he imagined, but he got the chance to play at a higher level than where he was, he had the balls to try it so fair doos.

All the best for your future career wherever you end up, except if you're playing against the Jags!!

His goal against Ross County was a scorcher. Showed great technique to fire the ball into the top corner.

It's possible that the step up in leagues was too much for Grehan but maybe he didn't get enough games to get used to it. Just remember how bad Paddy Boyle was during his first season with us. Maybe the number of games he got contributed to his vast improvement in his second season. Maybe Grehan would have improved given the games maybe he wouldn't, we'll never know. It's more difficult for a striker to get time with a team if he's not scoring ( just look at Torres with Chelsea) but I feel the right decision was made here. If Willie Kiniburgh is seen as a better option up front then it's time to leave but for anyone to say that Grehan was the worst or even one of the worst Thistle players is just crazy.

Hope Grehan gets another club and does well, always came across as a nice guy.

He was a player that I wanted to be good and sometimes got close, but i'm amazed at the goals stats. You just cant carry a striker with that kind of 'return'.

Once saw him sheepishly walking away from the pick-n-mix at Morrisons in Anniesland, clearly eating something and leaving chocolate brazils all over the floor. Still possibly my favourite Grehan moment.

He was a player that I wanted to be good and sometimes got close, but i'm amazed at the goals stats. You just cant carry a striker with that kind of 'return'.

Once saw him sheepishly walking away from the pick-n-mix at Morrisons in Anniesland, clearly eating something and leaving chocolate brazils all over the floor. Still possibly my favourite Grehan moment.

Probably the only Brazilians he left helpless on the ground in his wake :P

Just typed a name on another thread and thought, " and people think Martin Grehan was bad???" Paul Ritchie was a good player in his day, but definitely well past it when we signed him.

But our lasting memory of Paul Ritchie is him scoring the last penalty against Peterhead to win the playoff and get us out off Div 2, all other crap performances were forgotten

From the man's Twitter page:

Cheers for all the messages. I can't say why i have left the club, but would like to wish them all the best for the rest of the season!

@MGrehan

Sounds like the reason was not football related. Grehan could have fallen out with Jackie, possibly over lack of chances. He took a real pasting from Paul Paton in his Sun A-Z. Their relationship could have suffered. It is possible that Grehan took legal advice and demanded a pay-off to leave the club. Paton's relationship with Fox and several former players could have suffered too.

• Members

I suspect the Paton A to Z in the Sun was typical of the everyday patter in the dressing room. Highly unlikely anyone would take it that personally.

It'll just be the usual contractual stuff, you don't say anything bad about us and we wont say anything bad about you.

Edited by Willjag

Sounds like the reason was not football related. Grehan could have fallen out with Jackie, possibly over lack of chances. He took a real pasting from Paul Paton in his Sun A-Z. Their relationship could have suffered. It is possible that Grehan took legal advice and demanded a pay-off to leave the club. Paton's relationship with Fox and several former players could have suffered too.

Nah.

But our lasting memory of Paul Ritchie is him scoring the last penalty against Peterhead to win the playoff and get us out off Div 2, all other crap performances were forgotten

Beat me to it. Ritchie was the best exponent of the final ball I've seen play in a Jags top. :thumbsup2:

:)

I hugged Stevie Nicholas that day. Weird.

Are you for real?

you are just making stuff up now :rolleyes:

if they couldnt take ant of the (very) light banter there is no hope. :blink:

With all due respect, that's a lot of nonsense.

Keep taking the medication Kni!! and get some sleep !! :)