Dear Old Firm

cleveland steamer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to feel embarassment when they failed against diddy euro teams, but NO MORE, last seasons disgusting antics from those two totally sickened me and I ve had a stomachful of them after years of forgiving them for who they are only because they were representing Scotland. I was pissed off about Hearts and Dundee United BUT NOT THEM!!!!

we did well in europe this year

Our record against non Scottish opposition is indeed poor. Defeats to Blyth & Berwick plus only a less than creditable draw against Fleetwood.

What confuses me is the OF will be bleating on about the lack of money they have to enable them to compete in Europe yet, tho' I admit I know hee haw about Swiss or Slovenian football, they get beaten by clubs I imagine have considerably less resources.

I happened to be passing Kelvingrove Art Gallery last night at about 10 p.m. Imagine my alarm as I saw three ginger haired, greasy faced young crones shuffling towards me, bedecked in Union flags. My fear however, quickly turned to elation as I bespied the look of utter dejection on the spot-infested coupons of these flame haired harpies.

Get it right up them.

I happened to be passing Kelvingrove Art Gallery last night at about 10 p.m. Imagine my alarm as I saw three ginger haired, greasy faced young crones shuffling towards me, bedecked in Union flags. My fear however, quickly turned to elation as I bespied the look of utter dejection on the spot-infested coupons of these flame haired harpies.

Get it right up them.

:lol::lol:

what does that mean?

It means training younger players to play a different style of football. This closing people down quickly, getting stuck in, avoiding defeat as a priority, and stopping 'players' from playing doesn't work but it is ingrained in us as kids...either through coaching or watching the Scottish game (often both).

Kids should be taught to use skill to get past people, skill in getting the ball off people (as opposed to quick closing down and stiffling the game). No youngster should have a set position until they are at least 15, no youngster should be scared to try something that might not come off (just encourage them to keep trying these things until they do work), leave youngsters out of professional set ups until at least under 14 level and make it affordable to everyone. Just some of the things that could/should be changed at grass roots.

As for the rest of Scottish football: League reconstruction is needed, remove the 'fear factor' from our game (you know, the fear of losing or the fear of trying something a bit 'special' incase it doesn't come off and leads to a defeat that sends a team from a top 4 side to a relegation threatened side). A pyramid system should be in place to allow teams who are good enough to get into the SFL and those not good enough to be relegated out of it.

I want to see teams set themselves up to go and win games, to offer a bit of skill while on the pitch and bring back a bit of the gallusness that Scottish football was once known for. In order to get to that stage the whole mentality of how we approach football needs to change. The odd team doing so aint enough, it needs every team, and every governing body, to wake up to the fact our style of football is rank rotten from top to bottom.

You'd like to think this humiliation would lead to the penny finally dropping with SPL chairmen that radical change is required. I suspect not though. As long as the Old Firm get their 4 games and the rest get a shot at 4 home games against them they'll be happy.

That's it in a nutshell.

You've got that Regan fella coming out today giving it the old 'It's a problem but we're on it' pish while the SPL have just disappeared up their own arses in the hope that we all forget that they ever mentioned reconstruction. Our game is rotten to the core and it's only because the two evils floundered last night that questions will now be asked but now answers will appear.

I'm sure the mopes will be writing another letter at some point today - if they haven't done so already!

Meanwhile a private investigator will be tapping the phones of FIFA board members to find out who's a proddy* and in a conspiracy against the smellik* if they don't get their way.

* - please note these terms are interchangable for cafflik and h*ns

McCoist will be under severe pressure from Whyte who will have budgeted for European gate and television income. Lennon will be feeling the heat too after a dreadful start. If Hearts and the rest of the SPL were not so bad too, the pressure would be even greater.

Unlike most of you, I am not so positibe about the OF's failure in Europe. While hoping their failure in the SPL and Scottish Cup, I do not hope their failure in Europe, because that means the decline of Scotland's place in the UEFA ranking, thereby reducing the chance of playing in Europe for non-OF teams.

I do not want to see Scotland without any team playing in the Champions League. And of course I hope that we play in the Champions League in an enlarged stadium someday.

What surprises me is how people are shocked at these results

The h*ns have won only 1 of their last 25 European Matches, The Tims have only won 1 of their last 30 European matches

I'd have been more shocked if they had won last night

If the Tims do get reinstated in just gives us a excuse to watch them get pumped another few times in the Europa League

Leaving aside the OF, which is always a good excuse for a laugh, what makes me think is:

28 years ago, a provincial club like Aberdeen formed 100% by Scots beat Real Madrid in the final of an European competition, then those 20 years pass by and they get well beaten by the other team from Madrid, Atletico. In the semifinal they had humilliated Bayern Munich but the Germans got their revenge after 20 years beating the Dons 5-1.

Another provincial side like Dundee Utd thumped Slask Wroclaw 7-2 in the UEFA Cup with a team formed 100% by Scots. That thumping was turned into a defeat when the same teams met a few weeks ago.

What has happened in that elapsed time that things have changed so drastically? Is the problem lack of money as Mark McGhee ( wrongly in my opinion) suggested or is something that has more to do with decline in the sport or in the society as well?

What is wrong with the people that has to do something about it? Are they far from bright for good ideas or do they lack investment?

Clearly something has to be done. Football in Scotland deserves something better than this crap.

Unlike most of you, I am not so positibe about the OF's failure in Europe. While hoping their failure in the SPL and Scottish Cup, I do not hope their failure in Europe, because that means the decline of Scotland's place in the UEFA ranking, thereby reducing the chance of playing in Europe for non-OF teams.

I do not want to see Scotland without any team playing in the Champions League. And of course I hope that we play in the Champions League in an enlarged stadium someday.

We're never going to qualify for Europe through the league, and incredibly unlikely to qualify through the cup in the near future, for that reason I couldn't really care less about the co-efficient.

Next season there will be two Scottish teams in the CL or CL qualifying, which will probably mean more humpings, however from the following season onwards I imagine Rangers and Celtic will be coming up against some proper diddy teams in earlier qualifying rounds which will help bump the coefficient back up.

I imagine Rangers and Celtic will be coming up against some proper diddy teams in earlier qualifying rounds which will help bump the coefficient back up.

Aye, for the diddy teams!

Speaking of diddies, just saw Doncaster on TV citing the problem as being the loss of money after Setanta folded. Followed by Levein claiming that there has never been a better time for young people to play football. Despair.

Aye, for the diddy teams!

Speaking of diddies, just saw Doncaster on TV citing the problem as being the loss of money after Setanta folded. Followed by Levein claiming that there has never been a better time for young people to play football. Despair.

Fair point tho'. How can we ever compete against those leagues awash with money like those of Slovenia & Switzerland?

I lisened to the Radio Scotland phone, that Irish guy Tom English, made the very valid point that come the OF game it'll be business as usual. The same old, same old i.e the biggest club game in the world etc. etc. Chick young will be bending over for Alistair the whole football media cr*p stinks.

In fact Scottish football is actually cr*p!

We're not too bad, after all we've always been rotten or thereabouts.

I lisened to the Radio Scotland phone, that Irish guy Tom English, made the very valid point that come the OF game it'll be business as usual. The same old, same old i.e the biggest club game in the world etc. etc. Chick young will be bending over for Alistair the whole football media cr*p stinks.

In fact Scottish football is actually cr*p!

We're not too bad, after all we've always been rotten or thereabouts.

I was listening to that too and I thought that he nailed the problem exactly; a couple of weeks of wailing and gnashing of teeth then back to the same old, same old as soon as the first OF game comes along. It's the same conversation we've had for the last few years and we'll probably be having for the next few. As this quotation, attributed to Einstein, says: "Insanity is defined as repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result".

Edited by sm62

that Irish guy Tom English

Hopefully I'm not missing a joke here, because the idea that there is an Irish guy named Tom English has made my day to no end. I only hope he meets an English gentleman named Paddy McIrish and that they get a late night talk show.

As for Celtic, at the risk of sounding too American:

What.

The.

F**k.

How many chances do you get? Next thing you know,they'll determine that one of Sion's strikers has six toes, which is one more than is allowed by UEFA standards.

Then Celtic will get a free pass by way of this egregious abuse of fair play.

Look, some people can change based on suggestion. They can look at themselves and say, "This is what people think of me. Maybe I need to do something about it."

Others just need a swift kick in the head. Maybe the Europa result will be that kick.