Players Who Were Mince For Us But Left And Were Good

fatha bacon

What about players who were absolute gash but left and were good?

I'll start off with Harry Curran, was crap at us - couldn't trap a ball, couldn't pass a ball, hated winning, had no pace, couldn't header, and wandered about doing nothing til he felt like getting the ball and giving away posession. He went to dunfermline and i think he scored 9 goals there in his first half season, including a screamer against celtic. became a bit of a cult hero there

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the most obvious in recent years would be Kevin McGowne.

Not sure if Gordon Dalziel was any good before he arrived at Firhill but most certainly he was a better after he left than he ever was for us.

Struggling to really think of any others. Someone will mention Grant Murray but I didn't think he was mince for us his first season.

To me the most obvious in recent years would be Kevin McGowne.

Not sure if Gordon Dalziel was any good before he arrived at Firhill but most certainly he was a better after he left than he ever was for us.

Struggling to really think of any others. Someone will mention Grant Murray but I didn't think he was mince for us his first season.

I'm sure it was bruited in the media a while back that Dalziel had (self-admitted) alcoholism problems and he praised Frank Connor, manager when he moved to Raith Rovers, for sorting him out.

I remember at the time he was briefly with us that I told a mate I thought that every game he looked like he'd just got out of bed after a real hard night out.

He got real dogs abuse from Thistle fans and seemed to have held a grudge against us later on - even though by his own admission his problems must have prevented him doing justice by us. I'm sure if he'd admitted his problem then and tried to get sorted out he'd have got support but not knowing, all we saw was a lazy useless slob on the park.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I'm sure it was bruited in the media a while back that Dalziel had (self-admitted) alcoholism problems and he praised Frank Connor, manager when he moved to Raith Rovers, for sorting him out.

I remember at the time he was briefly with us that I told a mate I thought that every game he looked like he'd just got out of bed after a real hard night out.

He got real dogs abuse from Thistle fans and seemed to have held a grudge against us later on - even though by his own admission his problems must have prevented him doing justice by us. I'm sure if he'd admitted his problem then and tried to get sorted out he'd have got support but not knowing, all we saw was a lazy useless slob on the park.

Dalziel was a reasonablly big name signing for us from Man City I think it was and we had high expectations. The guy was a complete waste of space and I can honestly say he is the only Thistle player I have hated. I remember him up at Brechin sitting in the pub getting pissed because he had been dropped and having a go at the Jags Fans. He sat gloating at how much we was getting paid to do SFA and sit in the pub while we were mugs going to the game

armand one was rotten with us but seems to have scored a few goals now in the lower leagues, the same with constantine, you hear his name every other week on soccer saturday.

Aye, I went with a friend to see a Hereford match against Burton Albion a couple of years back and it turned out Constantine was up front for Hereford. I put some money on him to score first but he scored second and fourth in a 3-2 defeat.

To reply to a few points:

Derek Lyle doesn't fit the topic - I'm sure most of us thought he was a decent player for us. He did go on to a better career than we thought he would but he was never rubbish for us.

Armand One - a player that does OK for teams a lot lower down the league than us can't be said to have become good, only to have found their true level.

Arthur Duncan - always thought he was good with us but then I didn't get to see Thistle that often back in these days, only saw him play for us a handful of times. Would be interested to hear other opinions of folk who do remember seeing him regularly.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Arthur Duncan.

When he played with us he seemed to have boots on the wrong feet & he was training to be a chiropodist.

He went to Hibs under Eddie Turnbull and became a success & played for Scotland.

That`s mental. Arthur was tremendous with us before being stolen by Hibs. In a good team he was one of the stand outs